Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We need more gun control?

Default We need more gun control?

I knew that title would get your attention. So I was at Potter range yesterday shooting my new 9 milly with the dilly oh Yo (lol) and was chatting with a gentleman who teaches firearm classes for Canadian gun permits. He showed me the license a Canadian needs to have in order to perches a fire arm & ammunition. To get said license, you need to take what is equivalent to Alaskaís Concealed Carry & general hunter education course where they teach you the laws, regulations, gun safety and basic gun handling skills.

What are your thoughts on a national licenses like this. It would not register a gun to you, but like a Concealed Carry Permit, it would say that you probably own a gun.
    Everyone who has a CC NICS-EXEMPT has basically already done this.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Would this be an acceptable compromiseto the hole gun control complaint or do you say hell no, weíve made enough compromises so leave me alone? Do you like the gun safety part of this and not the-you have to have a card saying youíve taken the course and can now buy guns & ammo? What are your thoughts?

Please stay on topic with your comments and trynot to be pissed off while commenting about the subject.
    Keep in mind that Iím am not saying we should do this. I just want to hear what you think about it. So please, donít bite my head off.

P.S. I don't agree with the title. I just put that there to get you talking.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

NO!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    NO!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    LOL,,, Straight to the point. I like it.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

If you got the time. How about a why you would like this or why not.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    NO!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    If you got the time. How about a why you would like this or why not.

Hogfamily said it perfectly and gave a darn good explanation. No more words needed.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Let's apply this to the issue of drivers licenses! After taking some basic training, taking the written test and then a drivers test does that make people better drivers? I think not, considering the way people around here drive. I feel the same applies to firearms! There will always be people that are just 'plain dumb' and do not care about being safe.

As has already been said; NO!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Hogfamily said it perfectly and gave a darn good explanation. No more words needed.
    Yup..........

When the gov requires training and a permit before choosing a religion, before expressing your opinion, or having to show a permit to the police at your door forcing them to get a search warrant...

They're ALL civil rights, not privileges needing permits
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just a reminder:

Some time ago we decided to refrain from Second Amendment threads on this site, as our primary focus is the Alaska outdoors. We also prohibit discussions of religion or politics. The site recognizes and supports our right to keep and bear arms, as well as the necessity of both religion AND politics, however the topic of gun rights has dragged our site clear off into the weeds multiple times. The topic spans both banned topics, and so I am issuing a friendly reminder to steer clear.

If you wish to discuss that topic or religion / politics, there are plenty of other sites out there for that!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My bad. I did not know this. Bummer. I was wanting to hear the opinions of the people here. Thanks for the heads up. I'll refrain from future posts.

My bad. I did not know this. Bumber. I was wanting to hear the opinions of the people here. Thanks for the heads up. I'll refrain from future posts.

I think you already got the opinion of the people on here!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

No no no no no no no no
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

It is just what many here have already done. Hunter safety is a good deal also knowledge learned for CCW classes. The Canadian paper is good the whole country so it would have to be the same here, not just some states. Of course I believe in the draft and it could be part of military training, you serve you have full gun rights. We have become a country of rights with no skin in the game to protect them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It is just what many here have already done. Hunter safety is a good deal also knowledge learned for CCW classes. The Canadian paper is good the whole country so it would have to be the same here, not just some states. Of course I believe in the draft and it could be part of military training, you serve you have full gun rights. We have become a country of rights with no skin in the game to protect them.
    Thatís interesting Amigo Will. When you say military training, do you mean like how Israel is. You graduate from high school and itísoff to boot camp and to serve your country and if you do not join you give upyour gun rights. What do you think about the people how are too young or possible not physically able?

Amigo Will,,, Maybe even through in a collage education, health care and your guns?

My bad. I did not know this. Bummer. I was wanting to hear the opinions of the people here. Thanks for the heads up. I'll refrain from future posts.
    You're more than welcome to post in the forums. The off-limit topics are religion and politics. And when it comes to gun rights, we want to steer clear of the morass of 2A commentary. We recognize that folks are passionate about that, but this site is not the place for it.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Under 18 you can't buy guns now but if you joined at 17 like I did you have full gun rights. Now days kids need hunter safety course to hunt but I would put that on the family elders and the kids hunt with them. Unfit to go into military then something like peace corps, nurses aid civic service of some kind same duty for two years but must take the weapons classes. College is through G.I. Bill during or after service, earn it rich can't just buy out of the system.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Respectfully, I don't believe that the military should be a protected class (I'm a veteran). Even military training is insufficient for CCW.

I'm a believer that formal training is a good idea, and I'd call someone an idiot for not getting it, but I still don't believe it should be required to excercise a right.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Respectfully, I don't believe that the military should be a protected class (I'm a veteran). Even military training is insufficient for CCW.

I'm a believer that formal training is a good idea, and I'd call someone an idiot for not getting it, but I still don't believe it should be required to excercise a right.
    Roger that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast