Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drop away vs whisker biscuit

Default drop away vs whisker biscuit

After posting this below in the thread in the market I decided to copy paste it here as a new thread.

I'm new to archery and just recently started shooting. I am no expert and have a lot to learn.

I started out shooting my buddies bow just to get a feel for things. I spent several weeks shooting his bow and decided to take the plunge.

I recently ordered bow but prior to its arrival had to take the ADF&G Bow hunter education class.

While waiting for my bow to arrive I borrowed a friends Diamond Victory for a profeciency shoot... I know using a borrowed bow for a test.... But all kidding aside his bow was the only bow I had ever shot so it's hardly borrowed...

I shot the test and was stunned at the performance difference... His bow is set at 60lbs with QAD drop away... His bow was planting arrows a good 6" deeper then all the other bows. There were several manufacters represented.. Matthews, Hoyt, and Bow tech... His bow had the lightest draw of any of them... The difference? Though they were shooting 65-70lb draw respectively but they were all shooting whisker biscuits...

Just my observation...

Anyone else out there had similar experiences?

Thumbs down booo whisker biscuit!!!!!

The main problem with the whisker biscuit is that you always have contact with the arrow and with contact you have friction causing the arrow to slow down. Get that thing wet and frozen up north and forget it you'd be better off throwing knives. Drop aways are the way go as far as I'm concerned but hay thats just my opinion...

Thumbs up Drop Away's

I agree with Keelermk on the drop away over the whisker biscuit. Be careful on the drop away though. I had a QAD ultra and loved it for the containment feature. Went up north for caribou and it froze up though. Too many internal moving parts I guess. Plus it was impossible to eliminate contact when shooting (the whole point of a dropaway!). The simpler the better in my opinion. I swithced to a cobra diamond back and have been quite happy. Whisker biscuits give you great containment, but I've heard more than one person talk about them freezing up. Hope this helps.

Shannon

This is a 50/50 some people love them some hate them. I have shot 3d and hunted for many years. I have had both and can tell you there is almost no speed loss with a biscut vs a drop away. We have tested this at backcountry with the crono. There is many internal parts with a drop away that can fail, and the fibers on biscut can freeze? Soulution Bring two rests. I always do. you can shoot your bow with out a sight very accuratly if you practice, but not with out a rest.

The reason your friends bow shot so well was most likely it was tuned correctly. A really good shooting bow is usually in spec and has a arrow that is perfectly matched with a computer program to the bow.

Alot of people just buy an arrow by brand, when really they should select the proper arrow for there bow. Arrow spine, lengh,tip weight, and fletching should all be calculated for the bow its self.

Also axle to axle and brace height should be check freaquently to ensure your bow is in tune. Most stock strings streach over time and cause a bow to loose speed. The newer 8152 string have virtually no strech. You must also check the timing in the cam.

Last but not least you need to make sure every thing is smooth and lubed correctly.

These are more of a concern then which rest will give you more speed. You should try WB and a drop away and see which you like better for hunting. My wife uses a WB because its easy to keep the arrow in it. When kneeling, crawling or shooting off center you will have to keep you arrow on the rest and keep it silent. Just a few things to think about being a new bow hunter.

If you want some good information check out www.archerytalk.com
    Some of the best information on the net for a new or old bow hunter.

Hopefully I havent totally confused you. If you have any questions about the above feel free to ask.

KK

Default thanks for the input in this thread

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was shooting Saturday afternoon and my old arrow rest broke. I couldn't even begin to tell you what kind it was as the rest was probably 15 years old. It was a very simple and traditional arrow rest is all that I know.

I read through the posts on here and several others on Saturday night and Sunday morning. I went out and bought a new Whisker Biscuit QS and finally got some time off work to go out to Kincaid and shoot with it. Took me about 6 arrows to get it set it correctly. This thing is amazing, my old Martin Lynx shoots much differently now. I had no idea something as simple as an arrow rest would improve my shooting so much.

Steve

Default thanks for the input in this thread

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was shooting Saturday afternoon and my old arrow rest broke. I couldn't even begin to tell you what kind it was as the rest was probably 15 years old. It was a very simple and traditional arrow rest is all that I know.

I read through the posts on here and several others on Saturday night and Sunday morning. I went out and bought a new Whisker Biscuit QS and finally got some time off work to go out to Kincaid and shoot with it. Took me about 6 arrows to get it set it correctly. This thing is amazing, my old Martin Lynx shoots much differently now. I had no idea something as simple as an arrow rest would improve my shooting so much.

Steve

Default The whisker biscuit trade-off

I think it depends on whether your a hunter or a target shooter. I like what the whisker biscuit does when I hunting and if I give up a little accuracy or a little speed to not have to worry about my arrow falling off the rest while I stalking something then so be it. If all I shot was paper or 3-D then I'd like the drop away style for improved accuracy.

Default whisker biscuit up north

For me the advantages of containment while stalking out weigh the advantages of a drop away. Also I have never had a problem November haul road hunting with the WB as at 10-20 below there is no moisture around to freeze it up. Plenty cold though.
    Dave

Default Whisker Biscuit

Love it, love it and love it.

How about a little anti-freeze in a spray bottle if you're sure to see freezing. In the morning just give her a light moistening and you'll have freezing moisture beat for the entire day, right?

Taylor

Biscuits are for dogs and urinals. Drop aways are the only way to go. Many have containment system if you cannot keep your arrow on the rest. Trophy taker has an awesome rest. Use your index finger of left hand to keep arrow on rest. Accuracy and speed is pantamount! So feed your dog bisciuts for good behavior and do not eat the biscuit in the urinals!!

Thumbs up My Experiences!

As an experienced archer of over 20 years and having had experience with almost every archery widget on the market today, I have come to this conclusion. Im my opinion, the WB works great as a hunting rest. I have never had it "freeze". In order for it to freeze one would have had to have it exposed to moisture. The whiskers on the bisquit are water proof and dont soak up water. If for some reason it gets wet, and the water starts to freeze, simply flex the whiskers with your finger and it will fall right off. Refrain from blowing debris from it with your breath in cold weather, as that may cause some moisture build up. I have found that the fibers get a little stiffer in the cold, however, if your bow is as tuned as it should be, then you still have no concerns what so ever! Does the WB slow your arrow speed alittle? yes it does...... again however, with the bows that are on the market today, so what if you are shooting 290 fps as opposed to 295! In my opinion, a perfectly tuned bow used for hunting, and shooting exposed broad heads should be shooting no faster than 280 fps anyway. I would rank containment as a priority over the loss of alittle speed while hunting anyday. Having supplied and set up a pruthra of hunters with quality archery equipment in the Fairbanks area, I have fixed many a bow with the WB, and the archers love them. They have definately become more and more popular. The drop away rest is something I feel is more geared towards tournament shooting, or hunting from a fixed, or stand position. In a scenerio where arrow control, and containment is of little concern as movement is limited. Having experimented with them prior to them flooding the sales market, I have found they are excellent rests, but my concerns would be the stiffening of the moving parts. The cure is every hunter needs to be aware of the status of all his equipment at all times in the field anyway, so if your rest is getting stiff, you should already know about it, and be able to correct any problems prior to the shot.
    My choice is WB over drop away for hunting. Good Luck hunting!

I would go with the drop away before the biscut. I tested one of these and it kept destroying my vanes. For me I just use the good old golden key 3-d rover. Love it. Never had a problem why change.
    Alaskan Bowhunters Association
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

Default Good Rest

I have been shooting the Whisker Biscuit for about a year now and really like it. I did have a problem with fletching wear at first, but I found my nock had moved and was not tuned correctly. Once set up right the wear problem went away. Also the newer biscuits are softer than the ones from many years ago. Prior to the Whisker Biscuit I had been using a drop away. I did not notice any loss in accuracy when I switched. For shooting at odd angles and stalking through the brush the WB is hard to beat. I never worry about keeping the arrow on the rest now.
    I would not worry about shaft contact either. It is a constant contact, and the arrow does not even leave the string until the fletching has entered the bristles. I know some WB shooters have excellent accuracy at all ranges. I do not see where a WB would benefit a target shooter though.
    Patrick

Default NAP Quiktune 360?

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone tried out the NAP Quiktune 360? I am really thinking of getting one but I don't know how its gonna work w/ axis ST's I was wondering if the brushes are adjustable for contact on the shaft. The looks of it there shouldn't be any fletching contact (in my opinion the problem with the WB) and still fully intrap the arrow w/out all the moving parts.

Default Hmmn

I Love My Wisker Biscut. Your Arrow Is Always Stable And You Can Make A Better Stalk Without Your Arrow Falling Off. There Is Also A New Rest That Came Out That Is Just Like The Wisker Biskut Except It Only Holds On To The Shaft Of The Arrow With Very Little Contact With The Fletchings. So When You Say That Your Arrow Will Not Lose Speed.

Tell you what...tell me what happens to your drop away or any other rest with internal moving parts gets wet one evening and the next day you wake up and everything is frozen? It's happened to me and it took a bunch of work to get my Drop Zone to function reliably after that until the days temps warmed up.

I switched to a WB for a "winter" caribou hunt and it rained/sleeted/crapped on me for days. A little ice buildup in the WB and you just push it out with your finger. I nailed my 'bou at 50 yards and I hit right where I was aiming.

Besides, if there is ice on your rest...how much ice is on the limbs, cables, string, arrows etc...all of these things effect the shot.

I shoot a ton of target events and I know my accuracy capabilities. I suffer no loss of speed or accuracy with the WB and wouldn't use one if I did.

The only issue that happens that is really a concern is vane wear. However, the use of Bohning Blazer vanes, Flex Fletch, AAE, or Vanetec vanes will eliminate those issues.

I have extensively tested speed loss of the WB vs. many rests on the market and have never had more than 2 fps difference between any of them. The difference in penetration of the arrows in the first post most likely came from arrow type, arrow speed and arrow diameter, as well as target density (hitting a shot out kill zone on a 3d animal results in more penetration). Since we don't hunt foam animals, arrow penetration on them is irrelevent.

I wanted to resurrect this old thread, as I'm currently in the market for a bow. I shot my first arrow through a whisker biscuit today and was fairly impressed, but I'm not sold. Other opinions other than the ones above?

Default wb vs dropway

I shoot both and have to say IMO the drop away is more accurate but the WB wins hands down in a hunting situation. Slide the arrow threw and concetrate on the stalk not the arrow bouncing around. No noticable lose in arrow speed. Hillbilly

Holy cow Brian, you win dig award for the day! 1st place. Anyways, the only advantage I see of the biscuit is how it encapsulates the arrow. The ripcord arrow rest takes care of this issue and I believe there are other arrow rests that encapsulate as well. If my bow would shoot a ripcord, I'd have it for sure. I had to take the Drop Zone but am happy with it...

WB is the way to go for Hunting
    1. nothing to go wrong or break
    2. total incapsulation of the arrow with no rattling
    3. cost
    As far as wearing fletchings, I only shoot my hunting arrows once (if I'm lucky!!!) don't have that problem. If I was a 3D shooter I would look at a Dropaway.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast