Thread: Pots

Default Pots

Non commercial are only allowed four pots this year

Under Authority of AS 16.05.060
    Emergency Order No. 2-SHR-6-13-16
    Effective Date: 12:01 a.m. Friday, April 15, 2016
    EXPLANATION:
    This emergency order decreases the number of shrimp pots allowed to harvest shrimp in the Prince William Sound sport fisheries from five pots per person with a maximum of five pots per vessel, to four pots per person with a maximum of four pots per vessel. This emergency order is effective from 12:01 a.m. Friday, April 15 through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, September 15, 2016.
    REGULATION:
    The provisions of 5 AAC 55.022. General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Prince William Sound Area. (b)(5)(B) and 5 AAC 55.055. Prince William Sound non-commercial shrimp fishery management plan. (a)(3)(C) are superseded by this emergency order. Under this emergency order, the following provisions are effective beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday, April 15 through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, September 15, 2016.
    5 AAC 55.022 General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Prince William Sound Area.
    (b)(5)(B) no more than four pots per person, with no more than four pots per vessel, may be used to take shrimp;
    5 AAC 55.055 Prince William Sound non-commercial shrimp fishery management plan.
    (a)(3)(C) no more than four pots per vessel may be used to take shrimp.

They should have done it 2 years ago. I sat in the seminars in Anchorage 4 years ago and told them it was not sustainable. Wouldn't want any extras out in the salt now would we.

These numbers they are posting are only what is reported - not the ones that don't get reported.

Problem is it won't stop the boats that take out multiple strings of 4 pots and drop them and have 5 or 6 four pot strings soaking all summer long.

You must be one of them to make an assumption like that? Sounds like you believe everyone out there is dishonest and cheats the system. WOW I do believe that they need to regulate this more, but as everyone can see who they regulate. This has been over fished before and not by the sport guys and is happening again due to way to small of an area for both to operate. Shrimping will close to all sport fishing in the future and they will continue to let the commercial guys go at it.

I report as accurately as I possibly can and I follow law and regulation. I think most do. I know there are some that don't. Don't read too much into chat forum chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree with you. There's cheaters in all walks of life weather in there marriage or playing a card game. Not sure a chat forum is the place for it and you seam to mention it quite a bit. Those non reporting issues I hope have some fudge factor built in.

I was out there in the early 80s on those commercial boats, well it was a barge we dragged around. I know how easily they get over harvested. The problem is the Board of Fish does'nt listen, as always like our sheep,moose ect.ect. and the rest, it's about the money. Until it's to late