Thread: Shovel or hatchet?

Default Shovel or hatchet?

Obviously I will take my Wyoming saw with me on drop hunt for caribou, but what about a small axe and shovel? Gerber makes some nice ones that I am considering.

I have never had the need for either on a walk in or fly in hunt. I use a folding saw and take an extra blade. It only weighs a few ounces. It will be interesting to hear what others do?
    Why do you think you might need either?

Default good stuff

Ok I always have a folding saw.Next I do like to have a small plastic garden shovel or trowel.It comes in very handy,cat holes for the old number 2 just dig your hole and stick the shovel in the ground an the handle becomes a great place to put your roll of tp and if its raining just leave the zip lock bag over your tp with the opening down on the handle and your tp stays dry.Its nice to have something to dig with.I also have a Gerber light wight hatchet that I like to carry .Last years sheep hunt was a wet one and that hatchet was a life saver for spliting wood to get a fire started.

Default Gerber Axe - for me!

I use a small Gerber axe. I used to carry a small saw, the axe is more versital for me. When itís sharp I can even use it for skinning.

Itís great for "hacking" through bones, although I will sayÖ itís not very pretty.

It goes in my pack with my game bags. It works well on moose ribs, quarters, firewood, poles for shelters and shimming busted trailer springs.

Well, a small folding metallic shovel is very handy for digging a small hole to squat over I always take one when moose hunting, and when spending a couple of days away from outhouses at the Copper River. If you are worried about weight, then you can take one of the very small stainless shovels used for gardening. These look much like a trowel, about 9" long (including the handle), with a pointy stainless shovel that usually have inch marks stamped at one side.

I always take a military e-tool.
    Now what ?

I carry a hatchet. I have a Gerber but don't like the balance. I use an old wood handled hatchet that's probably as old as me. It's saved the day more than once. I probably use the hammer side of the head more than the cutting side. Very handy.

With a tree limb and a hatchet I can fashion a spade very quickly.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 07-08-2007 at 08:18. Reason: spelling error

I carry Shovel. "Folding Shovel"

This Folding Shovel is a good camp shovel to perform various tasks. Even comes with a saw blade you can affix to the handle. A good hand saw can make quick work of an otherwise laborious task. The strong shovel blade digs trenches, holes, and performs other camp chores. When you're finished, the folding shovel stores compact for easy transporting in your backpack.

Folding Shovel

I've never hunted caribou anywhere there was anything of any size to chop up or down.

I do take a folding saw however.

I always take a hatchet and a saw moose hunting.

Shovel. You already have the saw for cutting bones or wood to make a meat pole etc. Use it to bury human waste, I hate finding a camp where people didn't do it.

The small Gerber axe is a winner!!!! I was skeptical at first but found it half off at Freddies a couple years ago. That's the only reason I bought it. This axe is the ultimate tool when size and function are considerable. I can hack down a tree 6"+ in diameter in a matter of minutes. It's super sharp, handles well, packs just as good. I always carry it on the trap line, in the boat, and on the atv. I like it so much I would buy it at full price if I didn't already have one.

I also carry a small foldable Gerber shovel but that tool is best served digging turd holes.