Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Harbor Boat Slip contract

Default Whittier Harbor Boat Slip contract

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Whittier Harbor city boat slips (not Cliffside) were wait listed and that if you had one of the city boat slips and sold your boat you could not transfer your boat slip along with the purchase of the boat. That essentially, you sell the boat and the new boat owner has to get on the wait list or maybe they were already on the wait list. This clist add indicates that the seller will sell the boat and that the Whittier Harbor Master will work out a new slip contract with the new boat owner?

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/5504015696.html

I have seen this in the past with boats for sale it should not be right I pay every year to stay on wait list

You should call harbor master and ask them they can explaine how it works it's sounds like a scam on people on wait list

Quote Originally Posted by TM2SNOW View Post
    You should call harbor master and ask them they can explaine how it works it's sounds like a scam on people on wait list
    I don't have a dog in the fight - not on the waiting list, but if I had been paying on the wait list I'd definitely be looking into it.

Let us know what you find out. But I thought you didn't get keep the slip if you sold the boat. That's how it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

99% the slip cannot go with the boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I saw this ad and said "No FN way"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    99% the slip cannot go with the boat.
    That's the way it was when I had a slip on C float and sold the boat, but you know, it's that 1% and it's Whittier...

Bet he will keep the name under himself and sell the boat would be my guess. Gonna be hard to sell if he doesnt have a trailer

Their rules state you must own 51% of the boat to have it in your slip. If you sell your boat, I believe you have 60 days to buy another boat to put in your slip or else you loose the slip.

I think many people type their CL add this way to help sell their boat, even though they know they cannot give the slip to the new boat owner. I have seen this many times before.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    Their rules state you must own 51% of the boat to have it in your slip. If you sell your boat, I believe you have 60 days to buy another boat to put in your slip or else you loose the slip.

I think many people type their CL add this way to help sell their boat, even though they know they cannot give the slip to the new boat owner. I have seen this many times before.

AkBillyBow

They used to give you one year to get a boat to fill the slip when you come to the top of the list, or sell your boat - has that changed? I had to give up a B float slip because my boat was 2' too short despite another identical boat on B float. It took 3 years to get a C float slip, but I signed up for it before the spill.

Agree someone is trying to sell their boat to someone not knowing how hard it is to get a slip in Whittier.

I figured I would hijack this thread rather than start a new one since my question is someone relevant. I'm on the waiting list, and an now down to under 10 for a 34-37' slip. Two questions, which I can't seem to find the answer for in the harbor/mooring rules:

1. Can you have a boat smaller than the "minimum" length in your slip? I don't see the downside to this.

2. What are the actual annual fees for a Whittier slip? Are the based on your boat length? Or are the flat per the size of your slip?

Thanks! I was hoping to get the answers without calling the harbor and stirring the pot. I have the very real possibility I may have a slip before I have my dream boat since I got on the list almost 10 years ago. I could always buy a cheap bowpicker and stick it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I figured I would hijack this thread rather than start a new one since my question is someone relevant. I'm on the waiting list, and an now down to under 10 for a 34-37' slip. Two questions, which I can't seem to find the answer for in the harbor/mooring rules:

1. Can you have a boat smaller than the "minimum" length in your slip? I don't see the downside to this.

2. What are the actual annual fees for a Whittier slip? Are the based on your boat length? Or are the flat per the size of your slip?

Thanks! I was hoping to get the answers without calling the harbor and stirring the pot. I have the very real possibility I may have a slip before I have my dream boat since I got on the list almost 10 years ago. I could always buy a cheap bowpicker and stick it in there.
    I know in the past you had to have a boat the fit within the specified length. They didn't want people with smaller boats taking up larger slips that people with larger boats were limited to. I know that people have been known to "modify" their smaller boat so that it was the correct length for a longer slip. I have no idea if this policy has changed in recent times though, so others can probably speak more accurately to the current rules.

EDIT: I believe there is a grace period between when your name gets called for a slip and when you have to have a boat to put in there. This may have changed too.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I know in the past you had to have a boat the fit within the specified length. They didn't want people with smaller boats taking up larger slips that people with larger boats were limited to.
    Hopefully someone can confirm this. I guess my point is why should the harbor care, if someone with a smaller boat is willing to pay the same price as the larger vessel owner would pay? It should be a revenue issue, not some social justice or even liability issue.

Any feedback on annual slip fees?

Hopefully someone can confirm this. I guess my point is why should the harbor care, if someone with a smaller boat is willing to pay the same price as the larger vessel owner would pay? It should be a revenue issue, not some social justice or even liability issue.

One would think, but this is Whittier that we are talking about here.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Unless things have changed, slip fees are based on the actual length of the vessel, not the size of the slip. It was years ago, so maybe their practices have changed, but at one point they raised our rates because we had an aluminum bar extending 8" off the back of our stern that added another foot to our boat's length (when rounded, of course). It wasn't the waterline length, but the overall length to include rigging. Again, though, this was some time ago.

When I spoke with them this year understanding I got was price one slips each had a minimum price, even if your boat was under that amount, but then would go up if over the minimum based upon a per-foot price. Length was overall--if it casts a shadow, its included.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I doubt policy has changed much in Whittier on this issue. When I came to the top of the B float list long ago, they wouldn't let me put my boat in it since it was 2' too short for the slip, despite the fact an identical boat was moored on B float, which they said was grandfathered in. So I gave up the B float slip and waited for a slip on C float, which took 3 years. I could have kept the B float slip if I had put on a dinghy davit off the transom that would have extended my overall length enough, but I didn't know that at the time. Fees were based on the overall length, including stuff that extends out from either end. Oh yeah, they give you one year to get a boat that fits.

Wildwill is correct. They charge by the foot (shadow) of your boat, with a minimum footage charge for each size of slip. If you are on the 34-37 foot slip, the minimum charge would be 34 foot (if your boat is under 34 foot). If you are longer than 34 foot, then they will charge the actual shadow length of your boat.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Interesting - Thanks all for the feedback. What Wildwill and Billy say make the most sense. However the implication is that smaller is ok if you're willing to pay the minimum. In hindsight I should have put myself on both lists then I could have covered all my basis from 28'-37'

Does anyone here currently have a D or E float slip? How much are YOU paying a year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast