Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW to "REDUCE" sound of Firearm Discharge.........????????

Default HOW to "REDUCE" sound of Firearm Discharge.........????????

So my first project firearm in this endeavor is........ H&R SB1 12 ga, break action single shot, 24" rifled barrel, 3" chamber 13.5" LOP, Picatinney rail with Leapers 4 X 32 mini scope, Stock and forearm are black synthetic.

So my question to the forum members is........how do I reduce the sound.........while firing 12 ga. slugs...???

A.) I could cut the barrel to 18.1" in length........would that reduce the velocity and therefore the volume of sound......???

B.) I could drill a few hundred holes 1/16" in the to bleed off gas, there-by reducing the velocity to sub-sonic and also reducing the hot gas volume erupting at the muzzle.

C.) I could to both of the above.

D.) Open to your suggestions on how to reduce as much as possible the volume of sound, and do it legally (per BATF&E) and do it without a suppressor.

I might look into the old 36" to 40" long tom single shot 12G shotguns with moderate loads. It's just a guess.

Not shorter..... longer is the answer to reducing racket out of a shotgun- not sure about use with slugs though.

Shorter and ported is going to be louder. Maybe a lot louder.

There are a couple of firms that make a 32" long choke tube that resulted in a reduced noise signature. With the tube installed the gun looks super unwieldy since the barrel would be about 5' long. Made for pest control in urban environments...

Marketed as the "Metro" barrel extension... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440...-12-gauge-blue
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Finally some new information. Thank You. Now the question is...........why does it work....??? Maybe because it reduces the pressure of the gas behind the projectile before they explode into the non-pressured world. Interesting that BATF&E allows that, but not some other things.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    There are a couple of firms that make a 32" long choke tube that resulted in a reduced noise signature. With the tube installed the gun looks super unwieldy since the barrel would be about 5' long. Made for pest control in urban environments...

Marketed as the "Metro" barrel extension... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440...-12-gauge-blue

What is the proper name for the thingie that measures volume of sound, and for extra points where do you buy such a thing.......???

It's called a VU meter and you can get an "app for that".
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

decibel meter. had to rent one a few years ago for some testing, but cant remember the name of the outfit we got it from, but it was local.
    edit - just saw the other response on this and a phone app is definitely going to be cheaper but curious how accurate they are at the levels you're talking about

What is an app ???

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    It's called a VU meter and you can get an "app for that".

One thing is for sure........it was not local in Sunrise, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrider_f4 View Post
    decibel meter. had to rent one a few years ago for some testing, but cant remember the name of the outfit we got it from, but it was local

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is an app ???

At 75years old I know what an app is, maybe you should google it.
    And by the way the year is 2016

Weld a motorcycle muffler on the end of the barrel.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

And my "CODE-A-PHONE" is from 1978 and it has no apps.

.........And by the way the year is 2016

Call AT&T they can get you up to date.

Finally some new information. Thank You. Now the question is...........why does it work....??? Maybe because it reduces the pressure of the gas behind the projectile before they explode into the non-pressured world. Interesting that BATF&E allows that, but not some other things.
    The powder charge is mostly burned by the end of the original barrel and pressure starts dropping immediately, by the time the payload is at the end of the metro barrel the pressure is greatly reduced...resulting in less "pop" as the payload exits the bore and releases the remaining gas. Less pressure= less noise. Same principle as a suppressor... just a lot longer.

Also why a .22LR rifle is much quieter than a .22LR revolver- the exact same concept. My 25" barreled CZ .22 is considerably quieter than a 16" 10/22, and my 4" Bearcat has a harsh sharp bark. I can easily shoot my CZ without plugs for hours, my Ruger....not a chance.

I can only guess as to the BATFE rationale, but the Metro is just a tube without any suppressor characteristics such as baffles or internal ports to reduce muzzle pressure. Pressure reduction is just a function of length- same principle applies to any barrel.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Here is a little more info. on the extension tube.......http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/...ct_detail&p=77

I have a CZ-452 Ultra-Lux that has a 28.5" barrel that is very quiet. I am going to pick up some of those 60 gr. sub-sonic AGUILA .22 rimfire. if I can find them.....

Rimfire / Special (15 Products)

.22 SNIPER SUBSONIC / LONG RIFLE SUBSONIC LEAD SOLID POINT

NO. 1B222112

FOR WHEN ACCURACY MATTERS MOST.
    Featuring a 60-grain lead bullet on a short case, the cartridge has the same overall dimensions and energy equivalent to a standard .22 long rifle round. The faster barrel twist of the projectile ensures accuracy for target shooting and small-game hunting without excessive noise. Recommended for use in barrels longer than 20".
    BULLET WEIGHT

Grams
    Grain

VELOCITY

Muzzle ft/sec
    100 yds ft/sec

ENERGY

Muzzle ft/lb
    100 yds ft/lb

PACKAGING

Case
    Rounds Per Box

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The powder charge is mostly burned by the end of the original barrel and pressure starts dropping immediately, by the time the payload is at the end of the metro barrel the pressure is greatly reduced...resulting in less "pop" as the payload exits the bore and releases the remaining gas. Less pressure= less noise. Same principle as a suppressor... just a lot longer.

Also why a .22LR rifle is much quieter than a .22LR revolver- the exact same concept. My 25" barreled CZ .22 is considerably quieter than a 16" 10/22, and my 4" Bearcat has a harsh sharp bark. I can easily shoot my CZ without plugs for hours, my Ruger....not a chance.

I can only guess as to the BATFE rationale, but the Metro is just a tube without any suppressor characteristics such as baffles or internal ports to reduce muzzle pressure. Pressure reduction is just a function of length- same principle applies to any barrel.

No.....thank you.

Call AT&T they can get you up to date.

Thought you you were asking my about a.......12 gauge???

Here is a little more info. on the extension tube.......http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/...ct_detail&p=77

I have a CZ-452 Ultra-Lux that has a 28.5" barrel that is very quiet. I am going to pick up some of those 60 gr. sub-sonic AGUILA .22 rimfire. if I can find them.....

Rimfire / Special (15 Products)

.22 SNIPER SUBSONIC / LONG RIFLE SUBSONIC LEAD SOLID POINT

NO. 1B222112

FOR WHEN ACCURACY MATTERS MOST.
    Featuring a 60-grain lead bullet on a short case, the cartridge has the same overall dimensions and energy equivalent to a standard .22 long rifle round. The faster barrel twist of the projectile ensures accuracy for target shooting and small-game hunting without excessive noise. Recommended for use in barrels longer than 20".
    BULLET WEIGHT

Grams
    Grain

VELOCITY

Muzzle ft/sec
    100 yds ft/sec

ENERGY

Muzzle ft/lb
    100 yds ft/lb

PACKAGING

Case
    Rounds Per Box

Ever fire a .30 Carbine in the Ruger Blackhawk? That's a sound you won't quickly forget.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Ever fire a .30 Carbine in the Ruger Blackhawk? That's a sound you won't quickly forget.
    Nope, but I've heard before that it's murderous.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast