Thread: "CAN" a .44 REM. MAG. be fired safely in a 444 MARLIN chamber.....???

Default "CAN" a .44 REM. MAG. be fired safely in a 444 MARLIN chamber.....???

"CAN" a .44 REM. MAG. be fired safely in a 444 MARLIN chamber.....??? I seem to remember in the far far, far back chambers of memory that you could. But, I ask because I no longer trust that far back memory.

This would be in a single shot H&R 1871 break action rifle.

NO. No. NO. There are not anywhere near the same cartridge. Different size base. They use different shell holders when reloading. Don't try it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

OK........I thought the only difference between the .44 special, the .44 Rem. Mag. and the 444 Marlin was the case length.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    NO. No. NO. There are not anywhere near the same cartridge. Different size base. They use different shell holders when reloading. Don't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK........I thought the only difference between the .44 special, the .44 Rem. Mag. and the 444 Marlin was the case length.
    444 Marlin has a slight taper- .470" to .453", .44 Mag Tapers .457" to .456".... not the same.

They all use .429" bullets, but that's where the similarities end.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

But I should think that it would be no different then blowing out a case. Yes, you could not use the spent .44 special cases again, but it looks like it would be safe. Especially in a single shot. You might get a cracked case once in a while, but that is no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    444 Marlin has a slight taper- .470" to .453", .44 Mag Tapers .457" to .456".... not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Some of the bullets built for the .444 will have a .430 diameter. I use the 265 Hornady built for the Marlin in my Redhawks with a stout charge of WW 296. Harder lead, thicker jacket. They penetrate quite well, and I have taken bears and moose with them in my Redhawk. They cost about half of the so called 'premium' bullets and do the job in the .44 just fine. I do still load some hard cast lead though for defensive rounds on 4 legged thugs.

If you were shooting low pressure Trail Boss or Unique loads you would not blow up the gun but since the rim diameter is smaller the extractor might not have enough bite to pull them out so you may have to take a ramrod to knock them out.

The case would be a one and done situation as when fire forming a case you are not expanding the side wall just above the web but in this case it would try to. You would be far better off to bite the bullet and buy some 444 brass. If your light loading them it would be cheaper in the long run than tossing a 44 mag/special after one bang.

Where this comes into play for me is, I have found an H&R rifle in .44 Rem. Mag. and another in .444 Marlin. With both having 22" length barrel. This being for my "Quiet" gun project, it would be nice if I could fire the .44 special cowboy cartridges in the .444 MARLIN safely. It would offer more versatility.

44 Mag loads out of a Rifle are quite a step up from the same ammo out of a pistol. About 300 fps or better. You could assemble 300 gr loads that travel 1500-1600 fps.
    That gives you the option to use the 44 spl. you want

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Where this comes into play for me is, I have found an H&R rifle in .44 Rem. Mag. and another in .444 Marlin. With both having 22" length barrel. This being for my "Quiet" gun project, it would be nice if I could fire the .44 special cowboy cartridges in the .444 MARLIN safely. It would offer more versatility.
    The proper way to handle this, is to buy them both.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My concern with the loose fit, would be a failure of the 44 case to seal properly, and the resultant gas leakage.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The proper way to handle this, is to buy them both.
    Why not just use your Ruger 77-44 with "Cowboy"? loads??

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That is "ONE" of my fall back plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Why not just use your Ruger 77-44 with "Cowboy"? loads??

Smitty of the North