Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King crab/dungy trap

Default King crab/dungy trap

hi guys...a little birdy told me where I can find a few king crab so built this contraption to find out!
    ....will it work?...hope so!..those triggers are supposed to let them in and keep them in--we will see!!

taking the jet boat out for this trip, hopefully some earky springs too and prawns!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

That looks like it should catch 'em...just make sure the escape mechanisms for that pot meets the requirements for king crab pots (escape rings and cotton/biodegradable opening)
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

thx.mrfish..yes about the rot cord!..if you look at the standing pic to the left bottom the whole half side will come out!..one.change i must do is have the rot chord one piece!

There's nothing like fresh caught king crab! I can't eat the frozen stuff anymore. It's been awhile since we could fish king crab in PWS so really envy you. Anyway, I used to build mine out of rebar about 3' on a side with the tunnel up midway on either end. The tanners and king crab could get in there just fine but never got any dungies in them. It seems the king crab walk up on their legs so don't know if they will scoot down low to your openings like dungies will. Anyway, hope you success and my mouth is watering for live king crab now! Good luck and let us how you do.

fish witch, something like this?
    ....here is the other one I will be using!

That looks more like a Tanner trap to me. The opening may be too small for king crab but will be interesting to see what you get in each type. When are you going out to try them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    There's nothing like fresh caught king crab! I can't eat the frozen stuff anymore. It's been awhile since we could fish king crab in PWS so really envy you. Anyway, I used to build mine out of rebar about 3' on a side with the tunnel up midway on either end. The tanners and king crab could get in there just fine but never got any dungies in them. It seems the king crab walk up on their legs so don't know if they will scoot down low to your openings like dungies will. Anyway, hope you success and my mouth is watering for live king crab now! Good luck and let us how you do.
    Fish Witch, you could have targeted tanner and golden kings in PWS this year. See page 10 below,

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...egulations.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

heading out march 30th for 10 days of playing!!..good thing the boat has a wabasto!!..lol
    ..the guy that is lending me this one trap catches nice ones in it!..that trap gets full i guess on ocassion and hard to haul in!!..we will be using a brutus trap haul!....he says if you catch one leave it in the trap..more will come and soak it at least 24 hrs...should be fun!!

is there meat in the head?

.if yes, how do you prepare it?..thx

You must be located in the SE as the PWS closes on the 31st. I caught some of the tanners in the PWS when that season is open and want to try target the Golden Kings next season.

I was fishing for dungies near Admiralty Island one spring and when I pulled the trap it was so full of Dungies, Kings, and Tanner, it was hard to get the door open, it just popped up, crab all over the place. Let a lot of good eats go back to the deep, I was fishing in 95 feet of water.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    is there meat in the head?

.if yes, how do you prepare it?..thx
    Yes! After the crab is cook, removed the head add olive oil and eat. That what my dad did.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Fish Witch, you could have targeted tanner and golden kings in PWS this year. See page 10 below,

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...egulations.pdf
    Fish God - Thanks for the link and should have said I knew there was a limited golden king crab fishery in the Sound for a couple of years now, at first it was a 2 crab ANNUAL limit, oh boy! And now it's 3. Whoopee! It looks like they've at least expanded the fishery beyond the south end of Knight Island Passage. Funny though, I always got red king crab, not golden. And now that I'm in Seward, it's not something I will fish, not for a 3 crab limit during that time of year unless I'm deer hunting too. I may have to explore some more over this side for tanners though since the opening is at a better time of the year. The last time I did a couple of years ago I got one puny tanner, not worth the effort. Anyone doing any good North Gulf Coast waters?

I'll be building tanner/king pots again this season so if anyone has questions on my pots please just email. The pots i build are similar to my folding shrimp pots as they also fold flat for easy storage on the boat.crab2.jpgcrabpot bridle.JPG Pots are 36" x 36" x18" when set up for fishing & fold down to 52" x 36" x 4" when folded for storage. I'm only going to build a limited amount so if anyone is interested please email or call to reserve. I 've sent some down to SE for kings and they caught them well.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We typically use Pyramid pots down here in southeast. The pot you showed work well for dungies, tanners, and juvenile and sub adult king crab, but large mature male king crab have a harder time squeezing into them. I would prefer a pyramid pot as it lets large mature crab drop in with ease. We have also used pyramid pots with cod fingers laced into two of the vertical planes, and it also works well. Also some advice for pyramid pots - don't make the sides too steep or the crab will have more a tendency to try and crawl through the web instead of climbing​ up and in. If you live in southeast, you only have 8 days left to red kings before it closes on April 1st until July 1st. On top of that, both here and statewide the red king crabs have migrated up into the shallows to molt and mate (hence the closure) and most of the king crab you will catch at this point will be soft-shell; recently molted crab with very little meat inside them. We caught a lot of kings this year, and more tanner than you would know what to do with, although I don't really care all that much for tanner crab.

Sorry for the large picture size, I am having a hard time figuring out how to make them the thumbnail pop-up size.

wow.what a haul!!..what kind do you have there?....what about the single crab?...how wide is that tub up top?
    ....i am.a.bit south of you in canada, fishing up the portand channel!!..thankz for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    We typically use Pyramid pots down here in southeast. The pot you showed work well for dungies, tanners, and juvenile and sub adult king crab, but large mature male king crab have a harder time squeezing into them. I would prefer a pyramid pot as it lets large mature crab drop in with ease. We have also used pyramid pots with cod fingers laced into two of the vertical planes, and it also works well. Also some advice for pyramid pots - don't make the sides too steep or the crab will have more a tendency to try and crawl through the web instead of climbing​ up and in. If you live in southeast, you only have 8 days left to red kings before it closes on April 1st until July 1st. On top of that, both here and statewide the red king crabs have migrated up into the shallows to molt and mate (hence the closure) and most of the king crab you will catch at this point will be soft-shell; recently molted crab with very little meat inside them. We caught a lot of kings this year, and more tanner than you would know what to do with, although I don't really care all that much for tanner crab.
    [/URL]
    Nice catch! The king crab coming into the shallows in spring makes sense now since the Anchorage dive groups would make an annual king crab dive off Smitty's Cove in Whittier in March. And agree on the Tanners though not because we didn't like the taste of them. They're hard to get out of the shell so we threw them back - I'd love to get some now.

You can get the style like AnythingAlaska out of homer at the Gear Shed. Or at least thats where I bought mine from

tanner pot full 2.jpgtanner pot full.jpg Couple of pics a customer sent me of one of my pots sitting on his swim step.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    tanner pot full 2.jpgtanner pot full.jpg Couple of pics a customer sent me of one of my pots sitting on his swim step.
    wow again steve!!...your pots do great too--and they collapse!!..hmmmmm..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast