Thread: Boat wood not doing so good....

Default Boat wood not doing so good....

My boat has wood cabinets and this spring I noticed some problems with the wood finish and some swelling in some parts of the wood.

1. the finish is peeling in a couple places.
    2. the tops of one of the cabinets is swelling and discolored.
    3. wood trim has some light black spots in places.

All these problems are inside the cabin on an aluminum boat. It doesn't look so bad right now but I am sure it will get worse if its not dealt with ASAP. The last couple winters I haven't noticed any problems like this, the boat was stored in Seward and its in a spot that gets more sun than normal. It might be that a warm winter and some humidity allowed mold/fungus to start causing some problems.

Has anyone else been through this before? Besides a dehumidifier how do you stop the mold/fungus? Should I bring it to a boat shop or a carpenter to fix? I called AMD and they weren't that helpful with the wood issue, they said to call another boat shop. Maybe I'll do that the next time I'm in the market to buy one too

Deak

You could hang a few of these in the cabin to take care of any humidity issues.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-b...14oz--16799256

As for your black spots, mix warm water with bleach and clean using a sponge.
    Use some wood oil or wax after to help protect the wood.

If the wood is swelling there was quite a bit of moisture in your cabin. Check to make sure you have no leaks.

Airflow, don't leave it closed up tight.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You could hang a few of these in the cabin to take care of any humidity issues.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-b...14oz--16799256

As for your black spots, mix warm water with bleach and clean using a sponge.
    Use some wood oil or wax after to help protect the wood.

If the wood is swelling there was quite a bit of moisture in your cabin. Check to make sure you have no leaks.
    I have a smaller dehumidifier but this winter in Seward it didn't do the job. I recently bought several of the hanging ones you linked and have hung them up all over. This weekend I'll use the water and bleach and hopefully that will stop the problem. The finish has come off in a few places so I'll try teak oil and hopefully that will protect the bare spots.

I tried calling some furniture repair companies in Anchorage this week and no-one wants to deal with boat cabinets. They have said they don't use finishes that would be good for boat interiors or wet environments. Its weird that they won't take my money to refinish them or do touch ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Airflow, don't leave it closed up tight.
    I've seen newer models of my boat come with some sort of vent in the roof. Will venting fix the problem better than buying a truckload of desiccant to dry out the inside?

Default Boat wood not doing so good....

I've seen solar powered vent fans on small boats before and don't know why I haven't bought one yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I've seen solar powered vent fans on small boats before and don't know why I haven't bought one yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a Nicro solar vent that was on my boat when I bought it. I'm not impressed as it must be in very direct sunlight to spool up...seriously, if a skinny cloud crosses the sun's path, it stops. Newer models may function better, though. Those units that Drifter linked to work pretty well. I use horticultural polymer (very similar if not the same stuff) but a lot cheaper. Set it in the sun for a couple hours and any collected moisture evaporates, leaving the crystals recharged. Besides lasting forever, the stuff also makes a pretty good artificial ice.

on my bowpicker i had a plastic vent on the house roof similar to the solar powered ones just no powered fan also on the sliding window on one side of the house i made a plexiglass "vent window" that went over the outside of the sliding window so i could leave the window open while running and no spray would come in. I left the window with the vent cracked open all winter to let some air flow through the cabin and never had any moisture problems. The arrows in the picture point to the plexi vent. The vent in the roof was similar to this http://www.marinco.com/en/products/ventilation/air-vent
    vent window.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    I've seen newer models of my boat come with some sort of vent in the roof. Will venting fix the problem better than buying a truckload of desiccant to dry out the inside?
    You have the answer. Big Jim mentioned it too. The easiest thing is to provide top ventilation. You are a victim of the weather; lots of floating around the dew point the last 2 years which produces condensation especially with a good conductor like aluminum. Interestingly, being parked in the sun probably makes it worse. FORGET the dehumid's, they are a waste of time because they need tending. Also, because of the aforementioned dewpoint/conductivity issue, you can really help prevent this by covering any bare aluminum with a thermal barrier that may be in your cabin; yes, ESPECIALLY behind the cabinets, if that is the case.