Thread: shotgun trap/clays lessons in anc ?

Default shotgun trap/clays lessons in anc ?

I am thinking about getting my wife some shotgun training lessons for trap/clays. Any recommendations for someone in Anchorage?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...reducation.bow Look at ADFG Becoming and Outdoor Woman class schedule to see if they have a shotgun class. Then I would start on skeet at station 1 and 7 before moving on. Then progress to trap/clays. Also check with Birchwood Shooting Range, they might have classes. The Ft. Richardson Arctic Warrior Skeet league is a good way to practice. It is a handicapped league shoot so any skill level is competitive. Civilians can get access. PM if want more info. Good luck.

We have shot skeet and trap in a winter league at Birchwood and do the clays down at Rabbit on occasion. I am more looking for a professional trainer that knows about fitment and is an actual trainer. I have too many bad habits to show her right I think and simply shooting shells occasionally is not working.

There a couple people at birchwood range who would give lesson. There's a pro skeet shooter coming up in April I think and he's doing a 3 or 4 day class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post
    There a couple people at birchwood range who would give lesson. There's a pro skeet shooter coming up in April I think and he's doing a 3 or 4 day class.

Any more info on this? Do you have to be a member of birchwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, there a board at the shotgun side of the range that has the informational flyer. Or come out on a league shooting night and talk to some of the older shooter they love to teach people.

Another option would be to buy a couple training tapes. I have shot a ton of clay tgts all disciplines and each one has a bit different technique, however target focus is very universal... Training ones eyes to look at the leading edge of a target is a huge step in improving the score in all 3 of the major styles... Bill McGuire has a pretty good sporting clays tape out and there are several others like Dan Carlisle and John Wooley. I have shot with all of these men over the years and they all can provide some good tips for improvement.
    Many shooters have a hard time finding the "hunger" it takes to go after a target instead of relaxing and pointing at it - big difference and takes mental effort that can take a bit of the fun out of it. So for your Mrs she will have to work on both mental actions and physical modifications...
    I instructed many women over the years on a range I owned and it is very apparent men and women have strikingly different approaches to what they are wanting out of their day of fun. Best of luck and hope this helps some...
    When I tried to explain target focus I related it to looking at a ceiling fan and at times you can briefly see a single blade for a spit second and then it blurs again - that is the kind of target focus one must strive for - it can be done - and the brain can calculate the rest if you can achieve that intensiveness...
    If at the end of a shooting session you are not a bit "mentally tired", you are not getting "into" it near enough...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....