Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Sheep "problem" and observations from the BOG meeting in FBX

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    Anybody else having issues getting the live stream to pull up??

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.
    Nope. It's working: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Addresses
    http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    https://akoutdoorsuniversity.com
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    They passed the youth hunt for sheep (prop. 47). Residents only, Aug 1-5. General season hunts only.
    Interesting! Huh...looks like my boys will have some pretty cool early-season opportunities if this sticks around 6-8 years. Selfishly, that's great to hear as a teacher.

Yes Brian, But now one of the longest seasons in the State is even longer, and Prop 207 will be extended earlier so the guys that are not Youth hunting won't be able to "spot" if you are into that kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Yes Brian, But now one of the longest seasons in the State is even longer, and Prop 207 will be extended earlier so the guys that are not Youth hunting won't be able to "spot" if you are into that kinda thing.
    True. I was thinking more about this last night and some of the ramifications. I don't think that overall I support the new youth hunt. I don't like that rams in accessible areas of the road system will likely be pushed back before the start of the general season. I really like youth hunts, but not as much when they negatively affect other users. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out - what kind of participation it gets. No clue what to expect - a small harvest with low double-digit numbers of hunters, or a significant shift in the harvest to the first five days of August? If this sticks around, I'll likely take advantage with my sons and nephews, but I'd hope to do so well off the beaten path. I think the ideal way to approach a special youth hunt would be to give 10% of draw permits to youth hunters. Set aside 3 DCUA tags for each season, 3 TMA tags, a few in 14C, etc.

As for the effect on 207, if we're going to have a prohibition on aerial spotting of sheep, I think it should start earlier. Seems silly to have it start the night before the season. If the goal is to reduce aerial spotting and then hunting the next day, it should probably start a week or more early. This is not in support of 207, but if they're going to do it, might as well do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    True. I was thinking more about this last night and some of the ramifications. I don't think that overall I support the new youth hunt. I don't like that rams in accessible areas of the road system will likely be pushed back before the start of the general season. I really like youth hunts, but not as much when they negatively affect other users. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out - what kind of participation it gets. No clue what to expect - a small harvest with low double-digit numbers of hunters, or a significant shift in the harvest to the first five days of August? If this sticks around, I'll likely take advantage with my sons and nephews, but I'd hope to do so well off the beaten path. I think the ideal way to approach a special youth hunt would be to give 10% of draw permits to youth hunters. Set aside 3 DCUA tags for each season, 3 TMA tags, a few in 14C, etc.

As for the effect on 207, if we're going to have a prohibition on aerial spotting of sheep, I think it should start earlier. Seems silly to have it start the night before the season. If the goal is to reduce aerial spotting and then hunting the next day, it should probably start a week or more early. This is not in support of 207, but if they're going to do it, might as well do it right.
    I agree on the aerial spotting. Those who are doing it will not be stopped.

The comments on the youth hunts were interesting, and I took them as the Board genuinely wanting to allow families to hunt together before the school season starts. They recognized that a very small number of hunters might remain in the field in the gap between the youth hunt and the general season hunt, but they thought the impact from that would be negligible. They also discussed the issue of disturbing sheep before the general season started, but the consensus was that participation would probably be fairly low on that hunt, and the impact minimal.

I think everyone realizes that there's no way to accurately predict what will happen, but it was nice to hear that the Board is sympathetic with the idea of getting our young people out into the field and giving them a quality experience. I got the impression that they truly cared.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    Web Addresses

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I agree on the aerial spotting. Those who are doing it will not be stopped.

The comments on the youth hunts were interesting, and I took them as the Board genuinely wanting to allow families to hunt together before the school season starts. They recognized that a very small number of hunters might remain in the field in the gap between the youth hunt and the general season hunt, but they thought the impact from that would be negligible. They also discussed the issue of disturbing sheep before the general season started, but the consensus was that participation would probably be fairly low on that hunt, and the impact minimal.

I think everyone realizes that there's no way to accurately predict what will happen, but it was nice to hear that the Board is sympathetic with the idea of getting our young people out into the field and giving them a quality experience. I got the impression that they truly cared.
    Well,, they have poop pooped other youth hunts and while they made feel good comments, it was member Sager-Albough who reminded them there was a mandate from the Legislature to establish youth hunts when possible......
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

So I can take my son to Virgil Umphenour's guiding area and hunt there for 5 days before he is allowed to. Thanks for "sharing the burden" Virgil! LOL

As I understand the new youth hunt, it is open to non-residents so the guides can extend their season and still tie up a lot of sheep hunting areas by marketing and selling youth sheep hunts!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    So I can take my son to Virgil Umphenour's guiding area and hunt there for 5 days before he is allowed to. Thanks for "sharing the burden" Virgil! LOL
    Wow. Really?
    Web Addresses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123