Thread: sell it or will it be enough?

Default sell it or will it be enough?

I am in the military and about to PCS up to Eielson AFB. I have been lurking on here looking at different boats and now it has me questioning if my boat will be enough. It is an 1872 express with a 115 Yamaha prop drive on it. It has a custom made duck blind that I can put on and remove for the season. Here are pictures of it. What do y'all think? I want to use it to hunt and fish out of but not only hunt ducks I want to try to take caribou and maybe a moose and bear if I can ever figure out the hunting regs up there. (they seem to be written where it is hard to decipher). So do you think I will have enough boat or should I sell it? Thank you for any advice I am looking forward to living up there for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prob be just fine with a jet! What could you sell it for down there ? With our oil prices might get a better price where your at.

If you bought a jet lower unit for it you would have a boat that would get you around to quite a few places. Maybe not the ultimate jet boat and certainly not the ultimate salt water boat but you could pick your rivers and and times to go out in the salt and have a lot of adventure.

Take your time and don't rush out to buy a jet foot. That boat will work perfectly on the Tanana. Excellent choice for power and economy. There are is more river to explore on the Tanana than you will have time for and 95% of it is acessible by prop. Good choice of toy to bring with you.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Take your time and don't rush out to buy a jet foot. That boat will work perfectly on the Tanana. Excellent choice for power and economy. There are is more river to explore on the Tanana than you will have time for and 95% of it is acessible by prop. Good choice of toy to bring with you.
    This is good advice. Then, you make it through Squaw Crossing....

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    This is good advice. Then, you make it through Squaw Crossing....

I put over 1,000 river miles a year on my boat, both on the Tanana and Kantishna. All of it with a prop, the most common type of boat I see on the river is exactly the type of boat he posted here. 18-24ft jonboat, either an Allweld or SeaArk which is nearly identical to the Excell he has with prop driven 115-150hp 4 stroke outboards. My advice still stands, take your time and use the boat you have, its perfect for the Tanana and Yukon you will not regret bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    I put over 1,000 river miles a year on my boat, both on the Tanana and Kantishna. All of it with a prop, the most common type of boat I see on the river is exactly the type of boat he posted here. 18-24ft jonboat, either an Allweld or SeaArk which is nearly identical to the Excell he has with prop driven 115-150hp 4 stroke outboards. My advice still stands, take your time and use the boat you have, its perfect for the Tanana and Yukon you will not regret bringing it up.
    KantishnaCabin you hit the nail on the head 100% correct
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I have many fond memories of hunting out of Manley as far as way up the Nowitna, all with a prop. I remember once, while camped on the Tanana, watching a jet boat end up on the wrong side of a turn spending a day unloading all their gear and struggling to kedge the boat back to deeper water. Jets can be the bee's knees, but they can get you in trouble, too. Every time I got up on a bar with a prop, it wasn't awful to get off. AND, you WILL end up on a bar....

One memorable time was while down the Tanana, off some long slough before Squaw Crossing, we ran into a Native gent with his wife. It was in the early 90's and the river was higher than anyone could remember. We were in my 21' shallow V skiff. The gentleman, when we met offered, "You must be coastal people." Puzzled, being from Halibut Cove, I wondered how he knew. Upon inquiring he replied, "Pointy big skiff with high sides!" To add to the pleasure, turns out we worked at the same time (70's) and knew the same people on the Alaska Railroad. Small world.

Thank you for the info so it looks like so far she will be making the trip up with me.. I cant wait to get there and find out what Alaska has to offer as far as waterfowl hunting and other hunting. I have been reading the reg book and it seems to me they couldn't make it any more confusing lol