Thread: My 11 year old Son Ryu's Homer Winter King Derby off a kayak!

Default My 11 year old Son Ryu's Homer Winter King Derby off a kayak!

I know I had posted some issues about the Homer Winter King Derby, but I have been assured by the derby that it is being taken care of.

Ryu and I enter the Homer Winter King Derby along with ten or so other kayak anglers. We had a great time!!!

Ryu is the first Kayaker to hook up and he did great! Despite dad yelling instruction (which he couldn't follow himself later to lose a big coming), Ryu keeps his composure and successfully lands the fish with me netting the fish.

At first Ryu thought he was reeling in a pollock as the king steadily swam towards him. Once at the kayak, Ryu realizes that its no pollock...not even a small king...but a possible contender! He was worried about the fish coming off because he felt he had not set the hook at all, but that point was moot after the fish takes a screaming run after it sees the kayak. I had to hustle to get over there because I thought it was something smaller as well.

Its hard to fully understand without being a parent but I'd like to think just about every parent would do just about anything to make their kids happy. I think Ryu is generally a happy kid.

How fun is it to see them smile and get a big thank you for a long awaited Birthday gift or Christmas present? That kind of happiness is something to cherish. But how often do you get to make a kid so happy that he loses a little composure like he does in the video below. Ok, sorry buddy that I have to embarrass you a little bit, but this has to be the best video out of 200 I have ever shot!!!!

Ok, we didn't win any of the official prizes though he was only a pound off of winning the youth division (youth winner was off a powerboat of course) and maybe 18oz from making a top 20 finish!!! But without a doubt, I think I was the biggest winner of the day along with Ryu.

This experience is going to be tough to beat. Video is a tad longer than normal, but his reaction after landing the fish is priceless. Its something I know I will remember forever. I hope he does too.

<font size="3">

Simply awesome Rudy. What a day to remember. You both are the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Simply awesome Rudy. What a day to remember. You both are the greatest.
    Thanks Roland on the River!!

It was an AWESOME day! The weather, the fish, the 20 kayaks.... We had a great time! So glad technology allows for such easy capture of great memories!