Thread: Winterizing Snowmachines

Default Winterizing Snowmachines

Hey guys, what do you all do to winterize your snow machines? Unplug the batteries? Add Stabil (or some other fuel stabilizer) to the fuel? Fog the engine? Anything else you guys can think of?

Default Winterizing Snowmachines

I hope you meant to say Summerizing!! Because to winterize I make sure everything is plugged in and just keep adding dinosaurs still the snow is gone!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine are stored inside, so I don't do much other than clean them up and service them. If stored outside, get the track out of the dirt and up on something. Keep the sun and rain off.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    I hope you meant to say Summerizing!! Because to winterize I make sure everything is plugged in and just keep adding dinosaurs still the snow is gone!! Haha

Yeah, I guess you're right. Summerize makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

just being a turd don't mind me!!

Clean and stick them in the enclosed trailer, thats it. I run them every month in the summer to keep the gas from making deposits in the fuel systems.

I run fuel stabilizer at all times.
    At the end of the season I wash the old girl, put the cover on and park her on the trailer in one of my portable garages to keep the weather off her.

How much stabil do you guys put in? Just follow the instructions on the bottle, I presume? Never used the stuff, but have a couple newer machines now and would like to do things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    How much stabil do you guys put in? Just follow the instructions on the bottle, I presume? Never used the stuff, but have a couple newer machines now and would like to do things right.
    I think it is somewhat not needed here. We don't have that silly corn gas that turns into water, and our temperatures don't get high enough to cause the varnish like in the bottom 48. (As Obama calls it)
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The temperature extremes up and down in the spring and fall is what will cause the condensation in the fuel tank. It might not be much but it doesn't take much to plug up a carb. Bottom line, it wont hurt!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Stabil in gas , Depends on motor 2or 4 stoke change oil , tranny oil, batt water level if has, grease all zerks, check parts for ware, belt, slides, skags, wheels, shocks, I blow dust out of clutch,If older machine , fuel filter , Want keep it pretty wash and wax treat the seat, Park up on pallets off of ground batt tender and or start it once month . That should do it .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    During the season I just go by the manufacturers recommendations but I like to double it up near the end of the season just for peace of mind.
    I once had my boat away for an extended period due to vehicle and work issues getting in the way.
    My fuel was still great after 7 years!!!! I was amazed that it didn't even smell stale after all that time.

Best thing you can do to avoid hassles in the fall is to run the fuel system dry/drain the float bowls. A clean. Dry fuel system pays off when you go to spark it up in the fall
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I haven't used stabil in a long time, my sled threw a code when it was new saying contaminated fuel and went into limp mode, I have been fine running premium gas and keeping the tank full to keep condensation at bay. Remember your crank seals and others will eventually dry rot and such if you let them just sit for years on end without running the motor. I used to have fuel and oiling issues with some sleds that I leave sitting around and never ran them much, started running them every month or more and no issues since.

I put a stick under the back bumper to let the tension off the springs and I back the shocks off (we have old old machines...1996 models) along with the other stuff mentioned. I usually run my carbs completely dry...same with the Harley (same carbs).

To go along with relieving shock tension and such, on my vintage sleds when I store them for long periods(3 years+) I back the track tension off till its pretty much free, and rotate it around every year by hand to a new spot. I have had a few sleds get bad tracks (lumpy/small cracks) from sitting to long with tight tracks but with todays newer track technology I don't think this will apply anymore, just my .02. Also my father got me in the habit on the vintage sleds of filling the crankcase full of oil, and pulling the plugs and dropping some oil in there too, mostly for motors that will be sitting in the conex for who knows how long.

I had to rebuild my 670 doo because i started it after it set for 10 years with no oil in the jug. I should have soaked it before pulling it over till she started.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Best thing you can do to avoid hassles in the fall is to run the fuel system dry/drain the float bowls. A clean. Dry fuel system pays off when you go to spark it up in the fall

What he said^^^^

Siphon as much out as you can and run it dry. Then fog the cylinders as recommended by the OEM
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today