Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to know the 500 Linebaugh

Default Getting to know the 500 Linebaugh

A novices journey so far....

I sent this off to John Gallagher a few years agoÖ.

A few months ago I got this back

So now I had both a new gun and new caliber to get to know. Itís been a fairly warm winter for us here this year so Iíve been able to get out and shoot a few times in temps from 10-30 above! whoohoo!

There was something funny about getting a new blued gun after spending north 2K in that I found myself almost afraid to touch it! Like it was something fragile. I suppose itís just that ďnew carĒ thing. Once you get it dirty and put the first scuff on it reality sets in and you use it for whatís for!

I had acquired a 450gr 3 hole Ballisticast mould a couple years ago from Wildwill and had a bunch casted up. I loaded some up over 15gr HS6, stood in front of target at only 15yds and let em fly not really knowing what to expect as far as recoil or how accurate I could shoot this beast. Well, I got a case of perma-grin and put 5 close to each other standing offhand.

Now that I had some confidence I broke out the 450gr LilGun loads and the chrony. John shot/sighted the gun with 440gr CP over 29gr LiigGun. I shot several load over the chrony and ended up at 28.5 gr at just over 1300fps. That one lets you know when you touch it off! I did manage to put a few fairly close together at 25yds. First shot I did a 6 oíclock hold and thatís where it hit, just off the bottom edge of the paper, so I aimed at middle for the next rounds. Pulled the last one. Iím off to a start!

Well, my goal with the 500L is to work up an accurate 525gr load at 1100ish. From what I've read it hits like a freight train, out penetrates almost everything else handgun and with less recoil than the full house, standard 500L load of 450gr at 1300ish. I borrowed this 525gr gc LBT mould from a guy on another forum so I could do some casting and testing. Turns out they weigh 540gr cast from my wheel weights lubed with gas check.

I've worked up a load. 23gr LilGun at 1150ish. Here's 10 rounds rested with that load at 25yds. Average 1143fps.

First shot was low right, second was high left. I settled down, concentrated on a good consistent firm grip and put the next 6 at about a 2 inch group. Then shot a flyer and called that one. Last shot was not quite back where it should have been. I think I'm off to a good start and now just need trigger time.

I pulled the cylinder after shooting 5, turned it over and the brass fell out. This load does not have the recoil the 450gr at 1300ish does. I need a taller front sight blade though. I did the math, called John Gallagher and have one coming. Easy with the DX base. This thing is just a blast to shoot! What hoot! Iím lovin getting to know the 500 Linebaugh.

The other day I did some standing off hand shooting with 450gr HS-6 and the 540gr loads at 25yds. Iím getting there. I'm also doing more accuracy testing with 22.5gr LilGun instead of 23. 22.5 is 1097fps

The other day did shoot 12Ē steel at 40ish yards off hand with the 450gr hs6 and 540gr 22.5grLiGun loads. No problem ringing the steel and it sure is fun. Time now to start shooting longer ranges at paper to see what I can do.

Iím enjoying getting to know my new friend!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm glad your gun is working for you. Is the LBT mold from LBT or a different maker?

Nice to see a diversity in targets. Is the first one (with red on it) an over the counter target or one you print at home?

You are ready enough for bear stand,enjoy.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I'm glad your gun is working for you. Is the LBT mold from LBT or a different maker?

Nice to see a diversity in targets. Is the first one (with red on it) an over the counter target or one you print at home?
    Ya, LBT Mould from Veral Smith. Printed targets.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Please excuse my ignorance but, why the gas checks with the velocity you are using? I've shot a many large bore handgun bullet at higher velocities without any problems.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Very impressive gun and caliber!

I don't think I am up to the stuff above heavy .45 Colt loads and I hope to some day have a 5 shot .45 Colt cylinder line bored and fitted to a 4.5" barreled Ruger Red Hawk. It turns the old .45 Colt into a different animal.

Is Veral Smith still doing business? I hope so. I first dealt with him in the 80's when I ordered some fire lapping stuff from him and I think he had a business called "The Old Western Scrounger". But, my memory could be wrong. Any way, have fun with that big boomer!

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but, why the gas checks with the velocity you are using? I've shot a many large bore handgun bullet at higher velocities without any problems.
    Steve
    I borrowed the 525gr LBT gc mould from a guy just to do some testing of 525gr loads before I buy a mould. I traded in to the gas checks. I'll probably end up buying a 525gr plane base LBT from Veral at some point. I've spoken with him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Very impressive gun and caliber!

I don't think I am up to the stuff above heavy .45 Colt loads and I hope to some day have a 5 shot .45 Colt cylinder line bored and fitted to a 4.5" barreled Ruger Red Hawk. It turns the old .45 Colt into a different animal.

Is Veral Smith still doing business? I hope so. I first dealt with him in the 80's when I ordered some fire lapping stuff from him and I think he had a business called "The Old Western Scrounger". But, my memory could be wrong. Any way, have fun with that big boomer!
    Yup. Lead Bullet Technologies www.lbtmoulds.com

Heck, just the standard Redhawk cylinder will handle the 50,000psi 5 shot colt rounds. But I tell you what. That 450gr 500L at 950fps is really a nice easy shootin load. My 4" 454 Redhawk shooting 355gr at 1300fps is probably worse. The 500L is low pressure round. But, a guy should get what he wants. I'd like to have a Linebaugh built 5 shot 45 Colt but his conversions now start at $3800.

Went to the range to shoot some steel yesterday. Saw this paper target someone had left so decided to stick it out to the 100yd line and use a rest.

108.5yds ranged

I only had 5 of these 540gr rounds left in my ammo box along with another load. It took the first 2 to figure out I was shooting over the target. Last 3 printed like this. It doesn't look like they are keyholing. I need to shoot this some more. Maybe even drop the load back to 22.5 which is aobut 1080ish and see how we shoot.

Next....
    455gr Ballisticast plane base, 12bhn, 15gr HS-6, CCI 350, Starline brass, 950ish fps mv.

2nd shot was the low one. I'm pretty happy with this result. These were the only 5rnds of this load I shot at 100yds. It was time to head home. I'm off to a good start I think. Time to break out the paper plates next time and get the loads/gun sighted in.

Man I love shooting this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm off to a good start I think.
    **** good!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    **** good!
    Have you loaded up and shot any of those 450gr boolits I gave you? Easy shooting at 950fps and accurate.

Have you loaded up and shot any of those 450gr boolits I gave you? Easy shooting at 950fps and accurate.
    Not yet. Have had a few distractions this winter. I did have a few of those same from another source which I started with in the previous gun. Seem to recall they did ok. Am out of town right now for work...might get back to it in the next few weeks.

Yours is looking darn good; shouldn't have any problem putting 5 on a paper plate at 100!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Sweet looking iron Snyd but then you've always had nice guns. Congrats on this one!
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Group buy on the LBT 525 plain base molds? Let us know when you're getting ready to order and if I've got any spare $ I'll order one while he's set up to do yours.

Great shooting with the "little" bullets!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Group buy on the LBT 525 plain base molds? Let us know when you're getting ready to order and if I've got any spare $ I'll order one while he's set up to do yours.

Great shooting with the "little" bullets!

No group buy. Just call him up and order what you want and he'll cut it for you. Ya, the "little" 450's shoot pretty good!

Went to the range to shoot some steel yesterday. Saw this paper target someone had left so decided to stick it out to the 100yd line and use a rest.

108.5yds ranged

I only had 5 of these 540gr rounds left in my ammo box along with another load. It took the first 2 to figure out I was shooting over the target. Last 3 printed like this. It doesn't look like they are keyholing. I need to shoot this some more. Maybe even drop the load back to 22.5 which is aobut 1080ish and see how we shoot.

Next....
    455gr Ballisticast plane base, 12bhn, 15gr HS-6, CCI 350, Starline brass, 950ish fps mv.

2nd shot was the low one. I'm pretty happy with this result. These were the only 5rnds of this load I shot at 100yds. It was time to head home. I'm off to a good start I think. Time to break out the paper plates next time and get the loads/gun sighted in.

Man I love shooting this thing!

That's a **** fine looking pistol Sir. Are those sheep horn grips?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    That's a **** fine looking pistol Sir. Are those sheep horn grips?

Yup, I packed the horn out of the Brooks Range I found on a sheep hunt. Oh, we also got 2 rams on that hunt

Yup, I packed the horn out of the Brooks Range I found on a sheep hunt. Oh, we also got 2 rams on that hunt
    Outstanding! That makes them even better. I just got my Bowen GP45 with a 5.5" barrel back (<30 days turnaround!!). It's off to Rob Rowen for some custom grips. Super grip frames are pretty limited and those butt ugly rubber ones just don't cut it. He's going to give a shot at making some french walnut grips for it. I was thinking of also getting some bighorn stocks for a different gun, but i really like the color of yours, i may have to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    Outstanding! That makes them even better. I just got my Bowen GP45 with a 5.5" barrel back (<30 days turnaround!!). It's off to Rob Rowen for some custom grips. Super grip frames are pretty limited and those butt ugly rubber ones just don't cut it. He's going to give a shot at making some french walnut grips for it. I was thinking of also getting some bighorn stocks for a different gun, but i really like the color of yours, i may have to reconsider.
    Nice! Lets see some pics when it's done!

Interesting that you mention Rob Rowen. The horn that was used to make these grips was from a VERY weathered horn I found. JG barely got enough out of it to make the grips. They are shrinking up now. Not a stable piece of horn. I've been speaking with Rob and he will be getting this gun next winter to make new sheep horn grips for it. I've sent him some other horn. He cuts it, lets the slabs sit for 6-8 months, then has it stabilized then makes the grips. Rob is a first class guy and a first class grip maker for sure. As I'm sure you know, he learned from the master, Roy Fishpaw.

That is a nice gun and great shooting. Where would you put recoil in regards to a 44 redhawk?

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast