Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New moose world record? 272?

Default New moose world record? 272?

A buddy just got these pics. Lower Yukon. A horn buyer bought the 7 year old set out of a conex... a native hunter harvested the bull.. someone needed to be flown out to measure the horns, as the trophy value needed to be destroyed, and the horns sawed in half.. I did a basic search... sorry, if this is a dup thread.

IMG_1850.JPG.jpegIMG_1849.JPG.jpeg

I saw another pic of this and didn't think it was 270 since I never heard or saw anything else about it. Im starting to believe.

Just passing along some photos and what I was emailed about this big boy!
    "This is the bull that laid out in one of the villages on the lower Yukon for 5 1/2 years before being discovered and scored. 76" wide, 54" long palms and both palms 23" wide. Looks like the guy cut the head off and stuck the antlers in the river mud and never cleaned it off, still there after almost six years. The Native man on the far right is the hunter. What a absolute monster moose!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images

yea, it has everything to play the Boone and Crocket standards game... width, width of palm, height of palm, and brow tines that extend forwards..

I still like the fact the native really had little interest in the horns... best part of the story for me. There is a chainsaw nic left from removing them? Also, the horns pics you provided are before they were cut in half as well?... Tat area of the Yukon has a ballooning moose population. Season allowed two cows mid winter till spring I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post

I still like the fact the native really had little interest in the horns... best part of the story for me .
    Me too anchor. Really great a guy who feeds his family off the product of his hunting/fishing doesn't know he left over a thousand bucks laying in the mud!! Wonder if the horn buyer told him it was a record!
    2 cows a season is unit 18 which means no trophy destruction. Hope the buyer didn't, buy the horns BEFORE they took the pics! Antlers must be REMOVED from the skull before being sold.
    Notice how clean the skull is in the OP. Someone cleaned it up, and not in the village.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well, someone, somewhere in the process learned, or caught wind they had value, as in the story I heard, the set sold for 10,000 dollars. Maybe when the buyers eyes bugged out of his head, and he had an official scorer flown out? Anyway... beautiful set. This may be the record for the rest of most of our natural lives... it's unusually large.

Unless B&C rules have changed I think there are two things that will prevent this set of antlers from making the "book".

1) They have been cut
    2) The moose was not taken in a general type of season.

I have never understood how B&C apparently admits "found" antlers/horns/skulls though.
    Anyone have an official explanation to any of my points? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Unless B&C rules have changed I think there are two things that will prevent this set of antlers from making the "book".

1) They have been cut
    2) The moose was not taken in a general type of season.

I have never understood how B&C apparently admits "found" antlers/horns/skulls though.
    Anyone have an official explanation to any of my points? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    If antlers, horns or skulls have been altered in any way prior to measuring, they're not eligible for submission to Boone & Crockett's records keeping program.

Trophies taken under a subsistence hunt are eligible for inclusion within the records keeping program, if all aspects of entry requirements and fair chase have been met.

I seriously doubt that B&C would recognize a "new world record" from one scorer's measurements. Scoring antlers by B&C's methods is somewhat subjective. Its not unusual for 2 experienced scorers to come up with different scores on the same animal. Heck, its not unusual for one scorer to come up with slightly different numbers on the same head, if he scores it on different days. World records are usually the result of a team of scorers working on the head as a committee.
    Still this one is certainly a beautiful head.

That's exactly right, Gary.

All potential top placing trophies during an awards period, or any potential World's Record trophies submitted at any time, must be panel scored by an assortment of official measurers who are invited by the Boone & Crockett Records Committee, to officially measure any trophy thus submitted.

To date, the moose that's mentioned by the owner of this thread, hasn't been submitted to Boone & Crockett's Records Committee and it hasn't yet appeared in the Trophy Watch section of the Club's website, nor has it been mentioned within the Club's official publication, "Fair Chase".

Maverick

You guys need to look at the regs for Unit 18. If that moose was shot in August or September, it's a regular season and legal. Any bull moose with antlers from Oct. 1 to Nov. 30 are illegal.

Yea, the season is quite liberal there... chances are good it was shot in a general opening... the issue of one scorer(the horns were measured before cutting)...could well be an issue.

Heard about this moose a few months back from the guy that found it. Certainly to bad the horns were cut because that knocks it out of the book. The current world record that was harvested here in the Yukon a couple years back sold for 200K...

They could have shipped those antlers to BET and on any freight plane going back to ANC for not much money.

That is a prehistoric moose! I have had many dreams about discovering where they hang out, but they have eluded me for the last 50 years.
    I love moose antlers, especially big ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    They could have shipped those antlers to BET and on any freight plane going back to ANC for not much money.
    The antlers were most likely not cut for shipping but per alaska law where it's illegal to sell a moose rack attached to the skull.

Apparently these antlers got scored, but then were cut for selling and thus no submission for entry in to the record books.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I do not know much about scoring, requirements to go in the record book, or antler selling, so this may be a dumb question to those in the know. But why wouldn't the antler buyer have entered into a contract to buy the antlers after they were scored and submitted to the record books? It seems like they would be worth a lot more as the official Number 1 in the record book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I do not know much about scoring, requirements to go in the record book, or antler selling, so this may be a dumb question to those in the know. But why wouldn't the antler buyer have entered into a contract to buy the antlers after they were scored and submitted to the record books? It seems like they would be worth a lot more as the official Number 1 in the record book.
    Seems like you're contradicting yourself. To have the antlers scored as a new world record, they'd have to be shipped intact to B&C's annual records convention (or whatever they call it). It would then be scored and recognized (?). The owner would then have a WR head, that may be worth 200K (?). If the person who "contracted" to buy them went through with the sale, the head would STILL have to be split, in accordance with AK laws and he would then own what used to be "THE WORLD'S RECORD MOOSE HEAD". Who knows what value they would then have. Probably whatever a horn carver would offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast