Thread: End of April advice

Default End of April advice

My brother-in-law and I will be working on my cabin site late April, early May. We will arrive in Fairbanks and drive down to Healy where we will be working. Eventually we will probably drive across from Cantwell to Paxson. Then back to Fairbanks to catch a plane. I would like to do some fishing along the way. Grayling, trout, sheefish or pike really don't matter to me, we release most of them anyway. I just want to give him a chance to fish in Alaska. I have gotten good advice here in the past, thanks. I tried searching for May, too many options for the engine. I tried fishing in May, too many options not related to May.

Been a weird winter but normally a lot of those places will still be frozen in May. Fairbanks would be your only bet really. Healy Cantwell and Paxson are high elevation and colder longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer,
    i had hoped the winter had been warm enough that some streams would be fishable, and maybe some will. I had not thought about elevation being a concern. Thanks for the input.

Badger Slough can produce a lot of grayling in April when we have early springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the HWY from Cantwell to Paxton could be open ? but don't hold out for it, they shut it down in the winter an then plow it out in the spring
    The DOT for the state can fill you in on that , depends on Amount of snow an when break up happened 's time will tell there again
    state DOT controls it . I think SID Grayling almost at all flowing water in the spring that is about all I know , if the HWY is open
    check out the Tangle Lakes for open water an lakers as well as grayling, lakers late at night near the input as well as the out of lakes
    have a good & safe trip SID

Fish fear me, My wife don't.

The highway should be open by then. Generally they start plowing around April 12th, but with budget cuts and all, it might not be. Some open water showing up here and there. Sid is right, your best bet will be the Tangle Lakes area. There will be some open water where the creeks flow in and out, and it's a great time to fish for lakers. It takes awhile for the grayling to show up back in the smaller streams and become active, so I wouldn't hold your breath for those that early. Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

You can catch grayling in Healy at Otto Lake and Horseshoe Lake.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I know a few hours down the road but the parks highway streams will be opened up by then and will be chocked full of trout and grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I know a few hours down the road but the parks highway streams will be opened up by then and will be chocked full of trout and grayling.
    End of April is when to be fishing parks for spring trout? I always thought it was later and have found it super spotty or just plain bad. Apparently mj timing has been way off.

Resurrecting this old thread for a fishing report. We drove south to Cantwell and then east to the first really big bridge. The water at the bridge was too big for the type of fishing we wanted to do so we drove back nearer town. We fished the river next to the road and caught 3 we each caught our first ever grayling. Then we moved closer to Healy and fished that river along the road. We each caught 6 or 7 more and spotted 6 white rams across the way with my spotter. We tried a couple of other places too but just wasted time. We looked at Otto lake but no one was fishing and it was not absolutely clear to me that it was open so we did not try. We had a great time and enjoyed the fishing. All fish were returned to the streams unharmed. We just did not want to try to keep them in top condition all the way back to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread for a fishing report. We drove south to Cantwell and then east to the first really big bridge. The water at the bridge was too big for the type of fishing we wanted to do so we drove back nearer town. We fished the river next to the road and caught 3 we each caught our first ever grayling. Then we moved closer to Healy and fished that river along the road. We each caught 6 or 7 more and spotted 6 white rams across the way with my spotter. We tried a couple of other places too but just wasted time. We looked at Otto lake but no one was fishing and it was not absolutely clear to me that it was open so we did not try. We had a great time and enjoyed the fishing. All fish were returned to the streams unharmed. We just did not want to try to keep them in top condition all the way back to camp.
    Right on....glad you both had fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!