Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaboat with jet outboard

Supporting Member

Default Kaboat with jet outboard

Has anyone gotten an ob jet to work on one yet?

What is it, specifically, that you're wanting to know????

Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone has gotten an outboardden jet to work reasonably well on a 15 or 16 ft saturn kaboat.http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_SK487.asp

I like the looks of a jet ranger but can't afford to pay 6-7k for an inflatable, no matter how ridiculously fun and practical it looks.
    I'm looking for a relatively small/light inflatable that I can load in my skiff and truck. I want something to run up rivers in southeast for fishing and hunting access. Ten mile runs upriver would be about max. I've seen threads on here where people mentioned they were going to try them out with outboard jets but didn't see where anyone posted the results. Have heard of good success with surface drives motors though.

Per Kboat specs: Max. Engine Capacity: 10HP 4-stroke or 15HP 2-stroke Good luck finding a jet anything that fits those parameters. At this point, I wouldn't put a 2 stroke (excepting direct injected) on anything as you will likely be legislated off the water as some point in the not too distant future. If you're really into this boat, you could email your intentions to Kboat and ask specifically for a pump recommendation.

The smallest jet I can recall knowing about was on a little 25hp.
    Mercury I think.

Have you looked into a longtail mud motor kit? swamprunner.com
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Supporting Member

Yep, getting the 6.5 hp predator motor with the longtail kit.

Supporting Member

Found a 1230 jon to put it on as well!

CL in Fairbanks has a posting today of a clean looking Merc 20/25 two stroke jet for $3k

Sobie2

Look in the canoe thread there is a kboat with a surface drive motor that looks very intresting.

Was at Sportsman Show yesterday and Suzuki dealer had a 20 HP 4 stroke jet weighed 98# said a Kaboat owner bought it. Pretty impressive to get a 20hp jet that light let alone a 4 stroke. Would try and reinforce transom at least run support straps forward.

Let us know how it works out please.

Supporting Member

Wow that is crazy light. I bought a 1232 Jon boat and a longtail mud motor. Still interested in the kaboat, just not this year

I'm about to purchase a kaboat and I was speaking with Brian at Alaska Raft (connection?) and he didn't recommend running a jet at all. The way the kaboat is designed the jet isn't needed. If the water is shallow you just paddle it. There was a more technical explanation but that is what I remember.

Was on the Deshka with my jet ranger two weeks ago and you man had a new saturn kaboat with a 25 hp two mercury jet run up down the river. It seemed to move along quite well.

Kaboat SK470XL under Yamaha - 15 Jet, 210 kgs on board, 26 kmph, transom lift 190 мм, air deck moved forward as far as possible (about 250-300 мм), PCV anti- cavitation plate:

Supporting Member

Thanks Nomad! Thats a pretty cool setup. I'd never seen and outboard smaller than a 25 with a jet pump.

We still fighting with banana effect in the range 26-30 kmph, which is normal for all similar narrow boats (with air deck) even at 0.7 - 0.8 bar. But in any case 100 mm of draft is much better than 370 mm of "Yamaha - 15" or 320 мм of "Tohatsu - 9.8" ("Mercury", "Nissan Marine" - 9.8). I've killed banana on SK430 and SK470XL earlier by plywood plate below airdeck (kaboat run 36 kmpr under proreller in such case). I think it's equal to abt 30 kmph under 15 hp jet, but rubber protection under bottom is required. "Yamaha - 9.9" and "Yamaha - 15" are similar now, it takes 30-60 mins to make 15 ph from 9.9 hp. The second problem is kobra under light load due to the angle between PVC anti - cavitation plate and air deck, but we did it for draft reduction (of intаke) from 160 mm to 100 мм. Now draft of the boat and intake are very close, difference is 20 mm maximum or no at all.

Kobra under light load:

The best position under light load:

Draft aft:

26 kmph under 210 kgs of load:

Air deck moved forward, plastic 5-6 mm below aft part of air deck, plywood is better:

Later we'll try to make even surface "bottom - anticavitation plate" and reinforce that plate by 5 mm plastic, or even make light allow plates.

Nomad, great pics man!! Where did you get the jet unit for a 15 hp 2 stroke outboard?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast