Thread: Top of the World Highway

Default Top of the World Highway

Looking for a little intel. I am booked for a sheep hunt out of Dawson, Yukon late August - yup, no luck with the state hunting drawings. Anyway, since it is almost impossible to fly to Dawson without routing thru the lower 48, I am most likely going to drive. I have driven to Eagle several times but have never taken the right turn to Dawson on the Top of the World Highway. Can anyone give me any insight regarding what the driving/roads are like? In addition, would anyone by chance have a contact number for the customs check point into Canada. I will be taking my own rifle and want to do whatever I can to obviate any problems transporting a long gun into Canada. Thanx in advance.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Never been up that far so I can't speak regarding the road conditions. As far as transporting the gun I know there is paperwork (that I am sure you can download) and I believe you will have to pay a small fee to do so. No idea contact information for the checkpoint up by Chicken, but the one on the Alcan is (907) 774-2252. They should be able to answer your questions regarding crossing over with a long gun.

Crossing into Canada with a firearm is pretty easy, but it helps to do a few things in advance. Fill out this form and have it signed before you go - makes reentry into the US easier: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...m%204457_0.pdf

I don't have the Little Gold Creek customs phone number, but Beaver Creek is 867-862-7230. Just have this form filled out when you hit the border and declare your firearm right away and you will be in good shape.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5589-eng.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Looking for a little intel. I am booked for a sheep hunt out of Dawson, Yukon late August - yup, no luck with the state hunting drawings. Anyway, since it is almost impossible to fly to Dawson without routing thru the lower 48, I am most likely going to drive. I have driven to Eagle several times but have never taken the right turn to Dawson on the Top of the World Highway. Can anyone give me any insight regarding what the driving/roads are like? In addition, would anyone by chance have a contact number for the customs check point into Canada. I will be taking my own rifle and want to do whatever I can to obviate any problems transporting a long gun into Canada. Thanx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post

I don't have the Little Gold Creek customs phone number, but Beaver Creek is 867-862-7230. Just have this form filled out when you hit the border and declare your firearm right away and you will be in good shape.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5589-eng.pdf
    The Gold Creek customs is lightly staffed and don't publish their phone number. I tracked it down once a couple years ago, but they were very surprised that I managed it. Caused a slight stir actually.

Shouldn't be an issue though. Just declare it when you get there and be prepared to pay the fee.

The road on the Yukon side of the border is way better than the Alaskan side. Even some pavement. Expect to take a ferry across the Yukon when you get there. My AT&T phone worked in Dawson, but some carriers won't.

Typical Alaska driving. Gravel in some sections, paved in others. You can eat in Chicken and rest a bit. Otherwise no services. Take your passport. No firewood, fruit or veggies, no drugs/alcohol, limit yourself to less than 5,000 rounds and you are golden.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've driven that road countless times, but not in a vehicle for a few years (most recently on snow machine in the winter). The road is typically very good. By that time of year it's in pretty good shape unless it's been raining a lot.

One thing to note is the border is closed from like 8pm-8am (double check those times somewhere before you go). Some sections are similar to the Alaskan side of the road with somewhat narrow sections (much better now that it was 20 years ago) and sharp turns. Just take your time and go easy on the corners.

Also, have you checked Air North? They used to run flights from Fairbanks to Dawson City and/or Whitehorse. But if it was me, I'd drive anyway.

Have fun in Dawson, it's a fun place to explore and visit. I always liked staying at the Downtown Hotel in the "annex". Good rooms, good prices, and they have a hot tub in the annex which is nice.

shphtr, I've crossed the border a few times driving from the lower 48 to Alaska to hunt. Each time, the only form for firearms that I had to have, was RCMP 5589. Fill it out before you leave, but DO NOT SIGN IT! It must be signed in the presence of a border official. You can report up to 3 long guns on 1 form, and it will cost you $25. I have also driven the Top Of The World Highway, and it was a pretty easy drive. You will have to use the ferry to cross into Dawson City. Good luck!

Shphtr,

I am surprised you ask this as much as you've hunted all over the world, Id figure you've hunted Canada a number of times But like Knute says, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Form GRC 5589e is the one to fill out, don't sign, and It says they are good for 60 days but I thought it was good for a year. I hunted Alberta in 2014 however, I believe I paid $50 there at Beaver Creek then so I think the price went up, and they didn't even look or cared to look at the rifle, they just wanted their money and pushed me along my way. You'll be fine.