Thread: flies for silvers

Default flies for silvers

anyone interested in recommending some good flies to use for silvers in Willow, Sheep, Montana creeks and possibly the Russian River?
    thanks

On the Russian I like to use and egg sucking leech for the silvers. If not I use a coho and in the clear water can put it on thier nose.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Egg sucking leaches are good. I have also had some good luck with a version of the leftys deciever but it can be tough to keep the pinks off this one.
    on the valley streams.

ESL's ditto, but the goto is a Flash Fly. Traditional red/silver or try white/silver tied on a #6 and for sure include some orange/silver and hot pink/silver. Try varying your retrieve, start with short slow strips, progress to foot long fast strips until you find what produces...dark days = dark fly, bright days = bright and light colored flys. If I were restricted to fishing the whole silver season to one fly it would be a weighted #4 red/silver Flash Fly!

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    ESL's ditto, but the goto is a Flash Fly. Traditional red/silver or try white/silver tied on a #6 and for sure include some orange/silver and hot pink/silver. Try varying your retrieve, start with short slow strips, progress to foot long fast strips until you find what produces...dark days = dark fly, bright days = bright and light colored flys. If I were restricted to fishing the whole silver season to one fly it would be a weighted #4 red/silver Flash Fly!
    Can you put up a pict of the fly?

I have the best luck with egsl i also use fusia bunny flies, and popsiclses. Flash flies work well also. I have some flies that i invented using cherise and prurple marabou. also pink marabou with a white body kills em too.
    Bushwaker

Disco Inferno....

Another vote for the flash fly. Best silver fly I have ever used.

Just wondering if anybody has any info they'd be willing to share regarding fishing in the valdez area in late september. I'm heading up mid-september to visit a buddy who's up there guiding for the summer and we're hoping to bum around valdez for a week or so. I was also wondering if there are any opportunities to fish steelhead in that region during that time of year. Thanks in advance for any info!!

I really like popsicles and showgirls for silvers on the parks highway streams.

I've had success on Clouser and Morris minnows with lots of flash