Thread: Backcountry Hut to be burned down!?

Default Backcountry Hut to be burned down!?

I just heard that the Mountaineering Club of Alaska is going to be destroying the Dnigi Hut. They will be burning it down this summer as I was told. They are going to be building a different hut further back in the Non-Motorized area this summer and want to destroy the current hut because it is snowmachine accessible.

Here is a link to their website and hut. How can we encourage them to not destroy it? I think a lot of us would like to use it and recreate from it.

http://www.mtnclubak.org/index.cfm/H...-Hut-System/31

They just don't want you to play in their sand box.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Maybe.........However it is possible that they feel the toys you bring to the sandbox are loud and smell like fuel exhaust fumes. Or it could be they would rather avoid FAT lazy Drunks on stink-mobiles. Maybe they just enjoy a good hard strenuous hike in the peaceful and quiet wilderness. There could be many different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I think there's a bit more to it than that. Looks like a classic case of user conflict, with multiple incursions into non-motorized areas by people who knew better, and others who followed out of ignorance. I believe the Mountaineering Club of Alaska owns these huts, and they have a substantial investment in volunteer time in upkeep, not to mention substantial donations of materials that have been used to maintain these facilities. READ THIS for additional information on these facilities, and perhaps some insights into the conflicts.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Dnigi Hut

I'm a member of the Mountaineering Club. Not sure what led up to the idea of getting rid of the cabin. But I figure it's a lack of use by hikers versus cost of maintenance issue. I do acknowledge that it was not a good location to chose in avoiding snowmobile visits. I remember getting a chuckle out of one of the first entries in the log book, from a long time ago: "Rode here on my Bravo." Ha! If a tiny Yamaha Bravo can make it to this hut, what can't?

The cabin has metal siding. So burning it down is not the complete solution. Would have to heli the metal out. Yeah, it would be a good shelter/destination cabin for snowmobilers. But some snowmobiler group with legitimacy would have to step up with a proposal for maintenance of this cabin. Better do it soon if you are serious about saving this cabin. Personally, if I were calling the shots ... I'd just give the Guard a training opportunity and heli-haul the Dnigi cabin to a new site.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    I just heard that the Mountaineering Club of Alaska is going to be destroying the Dnigi Hut. They will be burning it down this summer as I was told. They are going to be building a different hut further back in the Non-Motorized area this summer and want to destroy the current hut because it is snowmachine accessible.

Here is a link to their website and hut. How can we encourage them to not destroy it? I think a lot of us would like to use it and recreate from it.

http://www.mtnclubak.org/index.cfm/H...-Hut-System/31

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    Yeah, it would be a good shelter/destination cabin for snowmobilers. But some snowmobiler group with legitimacy would have to step up with a proposal for maintenance of this cabin. Better do it soon if you are serious about saving this cabin. Personally, if I were calling the shots ... I'd just give the Guard a training opportunity and heli-haul the Dnigi cabin to a new site.
    Sadly it's more than simply volunteering to maintain a cabin in order to preserve it. Our group tried to save the Motor Mushers and Trappers cabin on Purches and Peter's creeks. We spent a year trying to come to terms with DNR on fees and insurance. The best we could get to was about 1000$/yr. Too much for our group and more importantly that kind of annual expense is not consistent with our mission. We withdrew our applications last fall. We hope that someone steps up before DNR makes it a priority to destroy them. Fortunately the State is broke and that may buy the cabins some time.

Maybe the non-motorized folks should stay out of the motorized areas as well.

Default From My Mailbox

"It's unfortunate that there's the perspective that the hut is being destroyed to make it unusable for snowmachiners. the hut has mold problems so needs to be redone, and in its current location, isn't getting as much use from climbers and skiers as the mountaineering club anticipated. so, consistently with their lease, the club is "moving" the hut to a new location w/in five miles of the current location. i say "moving" because they will be building a new hut and properly disposing of the old hut. "

Plus:
    "
    I just hate for them to build animosity when the hut is being moved for completely different reasons."
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler