Thread: Prop selection hewes 220 ?

Default Prop selection hewes 220 ?

I am running a 3.3L 250 4 stroke Yamaha on a hewes 2015 220 OP ETHT. The current prop is 15-1/2 x 17T Yamaha saltwater series II SDS. I want to stay with the SDS as it shifts very smooth. 3 guys, 2 dogs, 3/4 tank of fuel and deeks and guns etc. I WOT at 6100 and 44mph. With more weight/load I hit 6000rpm and still at 44mph.

I'd like to increase speed and fuel efficiency if at all possible. Yamaha's prop selector is telling me to go with either a 15-1/4 x 18 or 15-1/4 x 19. Their site says 150 +/- 50 rpm for each inch of pitch. I think that I should maybe try the 19 pitch in the same model prop and maybe I can get a little better mpg. It does good now on mpg - I averaged 3mpg over 100 hours use last summer. Thoughts?

The Yamaha Performance bulletin for the OceanPro specs out the 3.3l F225 with a Reliance 13 3/4 x 19 topping out at 6000 rpms 46.3 mph 2.34mpg and best cruise 4000 rpms 24.5 mpg and 3.03 mpg. The reliance props are limited though with a 13/3/4 x19 or 21 and then 14 1/4x 17 and 18 and finally 14 1/2 15.

For their other test boats they are running the Saltwater Series II SDS on Thunderjets and Weldcrafts being pushed by the 4.2l F250.

You should also seriously consider taking a peek at the Mercury Enertia ECO which has a massive blade area for four strokes, and also the PowerTech brand of stainless props.

Do a google search of the Yamaha Stainless models to Mercury Enertia ECO. The new designs made for four stroke motors are making some good improvements.

Sobie2

If I use deweys i can try props without being charged. I will trade mine in if i find a better one. Do the other manufacturers have the sds? The dampening system really shifts nice in comparison. I had a diff prop on when i bought it without the sds but same size and pitch and it does make a lot of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will google the eco for sure!

If you are right at the rev limit now with the 17 pitch, you will not get the RPM's with the 19 pitch. I am doing sea trials with my 250's right now and tried the 18 SDS and could not get the RPM as I could with the 17's. You should get better top end with the 19's but guessing thats not what you want. It will struggle at slower cruise speeds and heavier weights. I am wanting to try the new 4 blade SWS from yamaha. Says they get good cruize speeds and fuel econo?

Good info. Yamaha lists an 18, maybe just try baby steps....

I'd look at a 4 blade but also try the 19" pitch 3 blade. 6100 is overkill I think, isn't the ideal range 5500-6000?
    Also assuming you're trimming the motor out a bit when on plane and not using tabs unless you gotta?
    Those guys should let you try em out and exchange as needed and not damaged.
    I've got a diff setup but my twin 115's are pretty picky on props, cuz we water taxi and beach land, I'm limited to aluminum props. My boat really likes the 19" pitch pair I usually run. I did try a pair of 21's but it was a big diff in rpms, max 5100 with the 21's and 5800 with the 19's.
    Interestingly enough my old carbed f-100's loved the 21's.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Full throttle RPM is listed in Yamaha's specs as 5000-6000. http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards...specifications

I believe that the rev limiter kicks in at 6150. I am out of town and don't have my books with me.

I think that if I loose 300-400 rpm's with a 19" pitch I might still be okay. 4 mph more doesn't really matter to me but another .1 or .2 mpg would be okay as long as I don't loose my low end torque that I enjoy so much. My boat is not all that heavy it might work.

The Yamaha 250 3.3L has the rev limit at around 6100. Its hard to mach what kind of weights I will be running with all gear/people/fuel so when testing out props its always good to get a prop that is gonna run right at rev limit when testing. This way when you load it up it should set you right where is needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    If you are right at the rev limit now with the 17 pitch, you will not get the RPM's with the 19 pitch. I am doing sea trials with my 250's right now and tried the 18 SDS and could not get the RPM as I could with the 17's. You should get better top end with the 19's but guessing thats not what you want. It will struggle at slower cruise speeds and heavier weights. I am wanting to try the new 4 blade SWS from yamaha. Says they get good cruize speeds and fuel econo?
    What was the difference in RPM readings between the 17 and the 18 ? Theoretically from Yamaha you should lose a max of 200rpm.

Does the SWS have the dampening system?

I like the merc https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...s/enertia-eco/

but I would have to buy that prop. If I go with a yami prop - I can do it for nothing.

I really like the torq hub that slips if you have contact - that could really save some $$$$$$$

17 got 6100 right at the limit, 18 was 5950 with only 3 people and 30 gal of fuel. Next trip tried the 17 again with 6 people/30 gal fuel/ and filled the fish box with water/ estimated 2,000 pounds which is still lighter than what i will be loading it with and it hit 6050 RPM. I am looking into the SWS Offshore 1 4 blade as it advertises good cruise and Fuel econo. I am not sure on the dampening system for it, If i can get some tested before the boat ships up in a couple weeks Ill let you know.

Did you run a 19?

I think i would be okay at 5700 max rpm with a load....

No not yet, I still may try one out. If you have free range on testing props out I would just try them all