Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Support for AK Wild Sheep Foundation or RHAK (Resident Hunters of AK) ?

Default Bummer

So I have some non resident hunters at my place. All great people. I have way more residents. All great people. So I am decidedly not against non resident hunters for obvious reasons. Here is my complaint on this stuff.

Show me where the guides are getting restricted? Here on POW when we went to a draw for bear, the guides were allowed to run status quo. They did need to watch take and IMO have done a good job of that but Other user groups were cut. It was a great decision BTW, the Bear tags are increasing for the draw. Yea!

Unit 4 brown bear. Unguided non residents need to DRAW for a bear tag starting this year. No other user group was cut. LESS than 10 total tags! The guide ships can continue to run wild and crush their bears and head back to Utah or wherever for the winter. Was their biological justification? Not that I could find.

If anyone knows where this unit 4 regulation came from id love to hear.

In both instances a person can PAY to go guided but must draw otherwise. If there's biological justification cool but it it's a protectionist mentality by the guide industry shame on them.

I have no problem letting my next of kin tag count toward my limit where there's biological justification (low numbers). What I can't see is why my old man can't come up and kill a brown bear in the most densely populated area on the planet with out a draw. I don't need to kill one but it sucks I'm out for the next 4 years.

I was asked to Join the RHAK as a founding member and it was a well written introduction to the group. I am in a bit of a unique situation obviously so I don't feel right about joining an organization that may prove detrimental for my business. That said, I applauded their efforts on behalf of the residents and trying to loosen the grip of the guide industry in some areas.

Happy Easter everyone, the grass is green, the herring are in, kings are biting, get outside!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    ....it's a protectionist mentality by the guide industry shame on them.
    The guide industry can't be expected to voluntarily eschew lucrativeness any more than you...
    ...I don't feel right about joining an organization that may prove detrimental for my business.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The guide industry can't be expected to voluntarily eschew lucrativeness any more than you...
    Well put and you're right. It's a tough position for sure, I just wish burdens were shared by all not by those who don't have a good lobbyist. I already took my hit on the draw here so I do have some experience.

Thanks again for the comparison and happy Easter.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Well put and you're right. It's a tough position for sure, I just wish burdens were shared by all not by those who don't have a good lobbyist. I already took my hit on the draw here so I do have some experience.

Thanks again for the comparison and happy Easter.
    We share the same wish. Reality is that the guide industry exists for the primary purpose of making money. Toward that end, in the face of a finite/diminishing resource, their first/primary tact will be to reduce/eliminate competition (unguided hunters). This should come as no surprise to anyone. And they have money and lobbyists....

Happy Easter.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I see where alaska has some of the same type of hunters as we have in the lower 48. Every trip is judged by if they killed something or not. What happened to the hunting experience, the family bonding done on the hunts. Some residents complaining that if there father comes up and shoots a ram them they can't shoot one. The joy I get watching a close relative or for that matter a friend,shooting a white tail on my property is priceless. I get more enjoyment from there happiness then if I shoot one. If legal I'd give them my tag so they could shoot mine. But instead I don't shoot a deer that year if we have shot our quota on our property. I pay the taxes and maintenance on the land but I shoot last, if at all. As far as sacrifice for a relative goes,Ive never been able to afford to hunt in alaska. I'm now 50 and can afford to come up for a hunt but instead I offered my son to pick his dream hunt. He picked kodiak grizzly and I was going to pay to come watch him hunt even though I myself have never hunted there. Watching him on a dream hunt will be more of a memory then going myself and pulling the trigger. So when I see residents complainin that if there father shoots a ram then they have to wait another year to hunt,makes me think of how selfish the person must be in every day life . Residents aren't limited to one big game animal like here in lower 48. I mean some states only have white tails as there only big game animal. A side note I did lots of research on guides before picking the one I thought would be the best for a family experience. Including following this site for along time and watching all the threads. There is alot of guides that I'd be willing to go with but I had to choose one. So I chose one I thought would be the best for a true once in a lifetime father and son hunt, son doing the shooting. I chose Brwnbr. He came off as a guide who cares dearly about family and the game he persues.

Quote Originally Posted by snocross View Post
    I see where alaska has some of the same type of hunters as we have in the lower 48. Every trip is judged by if they killed something or not. What happened to the hunting experience, the family bonding done on the hunts. Some residents complaining that if there father comes up and shoots a ram them they can't shoot one. The joy I get watching a close relative or for that matter a friend,shooting a white tail on my property is priceless. I get more enjoyment from there happiness then if I shoot one. If legal I'd give them my tag so they could shoot mine. But instead I don't shoot a deer that year if we have shot our quota on our property. I pay the taxes and maintenance on the land but I shoot last, if at all. As far as sacrifice for a relative goes,Ive never been able to afford to hunt in alaska. I'm now 50 and can afford to come up for a hunt but instead I offered my son to pick his dream hunt. He picked kodiak grizzly and I was going to pay to come watch him hunt even though I myself have never hunted there. Watching him on a dream hunt will be more of a memory then going myself and pulling the trigger. So when I see residents complainin that if there father shoots a ram then they have to wait another year to hunt,makes me think of how selfish the person must be in every day life . Residents aren't limited to one big game animal like here in lower 48. I mean some states only have white tails as there only big game animal. A side note I did lots of research on guides before picking the one I thought would be the best for a family experience. Including following this site for along time and watching all the threads. There is alot of guides that I'd be willing to go with but I had to choose one. So I chose one I thought would be the best for a true once in a lifetime father and son hunt, son doing the shooting. I chose Brwnbr. He came off as a guide who cares dearly about family and the game he persues.
    The issue residents are trying to address through the BOG process, appears to be selfish from the casual observer. What someone like yourself may not see is that what we are trying to do is not limit non residents, but the unlimited amount of guides many of which take advantage of not only residents but guys and gals like yourself. What you are seeing unfold here is residents who for years tried to get some sort of guide regulation enacted and that being a total failure try to use the BOG in a way to do it and the other side which is the Professional Hunters using the same process to angle for their side.

You have choose well picking Jake as a guide, he is truly one of the best guides in the state. I trust that you two can have a chat about the complex politics that are part of the Alaskan game management system as he knows it better than most.

What you see as selfish residents, we see as the artful way the Professional guides reduced competition for the game they sell by limiting the animals taken by non paying users.

Lets use Kodiak as an example.. many residents also view Kodiak as their dream hunt too. However many will never draw a tag as the draw rate for residents is extremely low. However for a NR if you want to hunt and have the money there is also a 100% chance to draw a tag under our current system. That system has been careful crafted and protected by the Guide Industry.

Think about that Sir.

God Bless and Happy Easter,,, He is Risen

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Steve the kodiak draw odds are effected by the land owners, not the guides. Most of that is due to the federal land use permit system in place. I don't believe the guides have anything to do with the askew draw odds.
    Some
    Of those state land areas down there could have two hundred guides signed up for them and put in 600 clients for three available tags and the draw odds would be the same as it is for residents.

The allocation ratio of resident to non resident tags being almost even might have something to do with guides though. I don't have the total numbers off hand though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Steve,

It's almost 11pm and I just received a reply from Ted Spraker, to my question about Prop. 51. Here's what he said:

He said that they may bring it back tomorrow (Saturday) to "delay its implementation by one year, since permits are already out for this year."

-Mike

Looks like the delay will happen. Prop 51 stands, but in RC131 (Board Findings) Spraker recommends the dept delay implementation for "up to two years".

YK, could you provide a link for the board findings from the current meeting? I can't seem to find them on the website, only the findings from past years. I am sure I am looking right at them and not seeing them, but if you have a link, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    YK, could you provide a link for the board findings from the current meeting? I can't seem to find them on the website, only the findings from past years. I am sure I am looking right at them and not seeing them, but if you have a link, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!!!
    Link to all documents from current meeting:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=fairbanks

Link for Pass / Fail all Props

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...soa_prelim.pdf

Link to board findings:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...t_Findings.pdf

Thank you YK, that was exactly what I was looking for!!!

I question whether the NoK ruling will hold up in court. And you can bet that someone will challenge it

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The issue residents are trying to address through the BOG process, appears to be selfish from the casual observer. What someone like yourself may not see is that what we are trying to do is not limit non residents, but the unlimited amount of guides many of which take advantage of not only residents but guys and gals like yourself. What you are seeing unfold here is residents who for years tried to get some sort of guide regulation enacted and that being a total failure try to use the BOG in a way to do it and the other side which is the Professional Hunters using the same process to angle for their side.

You have choose well picking Jake as a guide, he is truly one of the best guides in the state. I trust that you two can have a chat about the complex politics that are part of the Alaskan game management system as he knows it better than most.

What you see as selfish residents, we see as the artful way the Professional guides reduced competition for the game they sell by limiting the animals taken by non paying users.

Lets use Kodiak as an example.. many residents also view Kodiak as their dream hunt too. However many will never draw a tag as the draw rate for residents is extremely low. However for a NR if you want to hunt and have the money there is also a 100% chance to draw a tag under our current system. That system has been careful crafted and protected by the Guide Industry.

Think about that Sir.

To
    Steve
    so if a resident hunter wanted to hire a guide and go on kodiak they still have terrible odds? Or is it possible for them to sign a contract with a guide and have the same odds as NR but now have to pay like a NR.the reason NR have better odds is we have to pay 20,000 plus for a hunt and very few can or are willing to do so. Now the odds are in our favor because only a handful put in for the draw. Residents only lose a couple of bucks for fees. I m not saying R don't deserve preference. I just can't understand why a few would have a problem not hunting one year if there close relative there hunting with shoots a ram. That is my issue and I'm sure the majority of R would not have a problem giving up a year for the enjoyment of watching there relative have there hunt of I lifetime. I'm also all for Jakes plan of limitations on amount hunters a guide can take. That is another reason I chose him as a guide. He isn't out to get rich at the expense of a game animal and other hunters. He is only out to make a living at what he loves to do.Isn't that everyones dream ,to have a job we love?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Think about that Sir.

Steve
    A simple solution to raise the odds on kodiak for R is to have some hunting areas with a $10,000 tag fee. That would limit the amount of R putting in for that area. Still half price what a NR pays. I know the first comment will be that it isn't fare because not all R can afford it. Well that is why very few NR apply and odds better for us. I told my hunting friends I was taking a loan against my house to hunt in alaska and everyone said there is no way they'd do that. Well my son's dream hunt means that much to me so I'm willing to pay. I'm sure there are die hard NR willing to do the same thing in order to hunt on kodiak. So up the fees in some areas and you will up the draw chances . I'm not an expert on state and federal land but I think alot of alaska is federal land. And according to my paycheck, I'm paying out my A!# in federal taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    I question whether the NoK ruling will hold up in court. And you can bet that someone will challenge it
    On what grounds would it be subject to a lawsuit? By statute, NOK is allowed, but bag limits, seasons, means, etc is set by the BOG. They have the authority to make up what ever bag limits they want, whenever they want.

Snocross the kodiak tags are allocated based on residency nap if a resident hired a guide they still would have to apply for the resident tag. Odds are better for non res because guides are limited to how many people we can put into the drawing and land owners have control of who/how many guides on their land. Thus some areas have only one guide. Themes good odds for a tag then!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    On what grounds would it be subject to a lawsuit? By statute, NOK is allowed, but bag limits, seasons, means, etc is set by the BOG. They have the authority to make up what ever bag limits they want, whenever they want.
    I'm sure someone with a legal background and some NR skin in the game will find grounds to challenge it. Just doesn't seem to pass the smell test for me. I might be looking at it wrong though.

The BOG has the authority to make the rules they want, and the courts have the authority to throw out the ones they find to be illegal.

I'm in,RHAK.

Quote Originally Posted by snocross View Post
    A simple solution to raise the odds on kodiak for R is to have some hunting areas with a $10,000 tag fee..
    I think we have enough input from Non Residents. Thanks though. Good choice with Jake I am sure your son will have a great hunt.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567