Thread: Halibut charter questions for visiting relatives - Seward

Default Halibut charter questions for visiting relatives - Seward

I'm working on getting some visiting family members on a halibut charter out of Seward in July. Been a long while since I've dealt with charters, but for southcentral it looks like still 2/day limit, with one any size and the other at 29 inches tops. Online 2015 regs show charters can't go out Thursdays but I heard recently that it's Wednesdays that they can't go out. Anyone know about Wednesday vs. Thursday vs. ..?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    ADF&G does not manage the halibut fishery, you need to contact NOAA; The website below is not updated for 2016, but they should revise it soon.

https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/fis.../sport-halibut

or call 907-586-7111
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Actually I did. and it is not there. Look here https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/fis.../sport-halibut

You're right though - no 2016 info at that link.

Area 3A (South-central Alaska)  Two fish daily bag limit: Charter vessel anglers may catch and retain two halibut per day.  29-inch maximum size limit on one fish: Charter vessel anglers may keep one fish of any size per day and one fish that is no more than 29 inches in length. The 29-inch maximum size limit allows anglers to keep a second fish that weighs approximately 8 pounds, after the head and guts have been removed.  Carcass retention requirement: If halibut are filleted at sea, charter anglers are required to retain the carcass of the halibut that is no more than 29 inches until landing, so enforcement officers can verify compliance with the maximum size limit.  Trip limit: Charter vessels may only take one trip during which charter vessel anglers retain halibut per day.  5-fish annual limit: Charter anglers may catch no more than 5 halibut in a calendar year on charter vessel fishing trips in Area 3A. This annual limit does not apply to halibut caught while fishing without a guide, charter fishing in Area 2C, or halibut caught as GAF.  Thursday closure: Charter vessel anglers may not catch and retain halibut (except GAF) on Thursdays from June 15 through August 31. Guided

LOL - was looking and posting while fishgod was. Unfortunately - probably no good info that you didn't already know...........

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I'm working on getting some visiting family members on a halibut charter out of Seward in July. Been a long while since I've dealt with charters, but for southcentral it looks like still 2/day limit, with one any size and the other at 29 inches tops. Online 2015 regs show charters can't go out Thursdays but I heard recently that it's Wednesdays that they can't go out. Anyone know about Wednesday vs. Thursday vs. ..?
    Area 3A:

-Two halibut daily bag limit
    -One of the two retained halibut must be less than 28" in length, (unless the charter is part of the GAF program)
    -Four-fish annual limit (applies only to halibut caught on charter vessel
    -Charter caught halibut must be recorded on the back of an angler's license or harvest card
    -No charter fishing for halibut on Wednesdays, (unless the charter is part of the GAF program)

Last year NOAA updated their webpage sometime in late March.

Thanks for the input. The NOAA document I'm looking at online is dated March 23, 2015 and says that Thursday is the closure day (for non-GAF). FishGod, can you tell me where you got the Wednesdays day from?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Thanks for the input. The NOAA document I'm looking at online is dated March 23, 2015 and says that Thursday is the closure day (for non-GAF). FishGod, can you tell me where you got the Wednesdays day from?
    You are looking at last year's information. NOAA has not updated their webpage to reflect the 2016 regulations. Until they do so, call NOAA at 907-586-7111

FishGod is correct on the regs for this upcoming season.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

NOAA has updated their website to reflect the 2016 regulations;

https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/sit...tsheet2016.pdf