Thread: New canoe?

Default New canoe?

I am thinking about getting a new canoe. I had a 17' Michicraft many years ago. My new canoe will be used in small lakes and easy moving rivers.
    My white water days are behind me and pushing the limit has lost it's thrill for me!

What I am after is a canoe under 18' that will carry 1,500 lbs. and take a small kicker.
    Light and wide in the middle works for me.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am thinking about getting a new canoe. I had a 17' Michicraft many years ago. My new canoe will be used in small lakes and easy moving rivers.
    My white water days are behind me and pushing the limit has lost it's thrill for me!

What I am after is a canoe under 18' that will carry 1,500 lbs. and take a small kicker.
    Light and wide in the middle works for me.

Any ideas?
    Square stern
    Clipper Mackenzie Sport in Kevlar
    http://www.clippercanoes.com/mackenzie-sport-18-foot/

The Old Towne Discovery 169 sounds like a good fit. I think most boats will come close to the 1500# capacity but few will actually meet it. Have a look at http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/Canoes.html for a handy tool to aid your search.

Edit to add: The NovaCraft Prospector 18 looks good too. Made in Canada, so I don't know of availability in AK

1500lbs in a sub-18' canoe is a pretty good load. I'm thinking this is your worst case scenario, after a moose hunt? My beefed-up Esquif Cargo would handle that load in easy water with an ob motor on it. I run an 8hp, you could push that load with a 5hp (slowly). Not sure if Esquif is still making them though, that was a Royalex setup. The Clipper above is a very nice canoe (read expensive). I would not want to be beating the Clipper up after paying that high price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    1500lbs in a sub-18' canoe is a pretty good load. I'm thinking this is your worst case scenario, after a moose hunt? My beefed-up Esquif Cargo would handle that load in easy water with an ob motor on it. I run an 8hp, you could push that load with a 5hp (slowly). Not sure if Esquif is still making them though, that was a Royalex setup. The Clipper above is a very nice canoe (read expensive). I would not want to be beating the Clipper up after paying that high price for it.
    The Cargo is listed on the Esquif web site: http://www.esquif.com/en/sporting/cargo/#mg
    Nice video, I think I see my next canoe.

Edit: Esquif lists the Cargo's capacity as 1,000 lbs. That seems kind of low. I wonder, is there such a thing as an industry standard for that rating? Or is it down-rated because it can take an outboard?

I seem to remember a difference between the way the Canadians and Americans figure that amount. Loaded to 6" of freeboard, is or was the American method. Maybe someone remembers how they do that in Canada... Up North in Whitehorse was the closest Esquif dealer to me, they would know a thing or two if you called them.

Rely on those capacity ratings at some risk. Only a pack canoe feels right with 6"
    freeboard.

from Wennona;

• If loaded anywhere near its claimed limit, a canoe may not be overloaded officially, but it will handle very poorly.

Clipper Mac 18' will fit the bill. The kevlar version is easy to shoulder and portage. They aren't cheap but what quality product is. I owned a Mac 18 and a an Esquif cargo. I sold the Esquif and now own two Macs if that means anything. Western Canoe and Kayak (Clipper) will ship it directly to Anchorage for you. Last year I went to Span Alaska to pick it up. I unwrapped it and found that some yahoo ran a fork lift though the side. I think it was deliberate because the canoe was wrapped so well it could have been dropped from the plane in my yard. I called WCAK and they told me to refuse it and immediately started building another. It arrive a month later in perfect condition. They stand behind their products. I think the difference in the US/Canadian dollar last year covered the cost of shipping.

When I first got my Esquif Cargo I had four 200 pounder's, a 9.9 merc 2 stroke and stuff which I believe was over 1K lbs. It did have oil canning issues and I fixed them by following Piper's lead and the bottom of the Cargo now is pretty stiff but still flexes adequately. I have run it with a Merc 3.3 with 2 people and stuff (maybe 600 lbs total) and it's fine but not fast on smooth water. The 9.9 at 2/3 throttle is just about perfect until the wave get over a foot or so then it needs to be throttled back to stay dry. Full throttle on the 3.3 is fine.

I don't know what the Cargo will carry but I'm sure it will do fine with 1K in fairly smooth water. You can look back on the mods Piper and I did to get the bottom oil canning fixed. You can certainly argue that a new canoe shouldn't need to be modified and I'd agree but it did make it a much better boat.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Comparing a Royalex canoe to a Kevlar canoe is apples to oranges. Royalex is forgiving (made to flex) in the event you are running over things. Kevlar is stiff and light. Saying one is better than the other makes no sense, they were designed for two entirely different missions. The Kevlar canoe I have cost twice as much as the Royalex model. If I'm going to be scraping and bouncing off things I take the Royalex, cost half as much and takes a beating.

I'd look at Yukon freight works canoes. Fella goes by the name of mainer on here, but doesn't frequent the forum due to being a full time canoe builder. I think he makes a small canoe model called a muskrat that would do everything your looking for and more! Just google yukon freight works canoe. He s out of wasilla.