Thread: Anyone else have a shark problem?

Default Anyone else have a shark problem?

We were fishing south Knight and doing really well. Nothing huge for halibut but it was early june. I got my 2 nicer chickens and switched to the salmon jigging pole to try and get a few rockfish. I hooked into what I thought was a chicken, got it about 20 feet off bottom and then it shot back down and I couldnt budge it with the light pole. I fought it for 20 minutes before it fell off. This happened 3 consecutive drops and I was getting really frustrated. Then my friend behind me brought up his chicken. When it hit the top of the water an 8 to 10 foot(depends who you talk to)salmon shark came within 1 foot of taking it right off the top of the water. I would never swim in PWS to begin with but now I will sweat a little every time I lean over the boat to wash my hands. Anyone else ever have that experience? Also whats up with the yelloweye this year I havent even seen one caught. Last year we had to leave halibut holes after being over run with rock fish.

A couple of years ago I spun a prop out by Naked Island. As I was hanging off the transom changing the prop, up to my elbows in water, I saw a shark swim by. I don't know if salmon sharks are aggressive (does it matter that they're a relative of the great white?), but yea, I got a little nervous.

I dont think a salmon shark would attack a human but I do know that watching them feed on salmon is impressive. My dad and I sat out by Gravina Is and watched them chase salmon for an entire afternoon. They can raise their body temperature several degrees above the water temp just like a great white and it gives them a lot more energy. There was several times that a shark would come completely out of the water and flip over when they hit the water again. Salmon sharks seem to school up around gravina Is every year to feed, it makes for an entertaining afternoon to run over there and watch.

Charterboat Operator

I had a shark bite a 20lb halibut in half last week out in cook inlet! quite impressive when the water is thrahing and blood is floating around! unusual for the inlet, stranger part is the a buddy had the same thing happen to him yesterday, at the same spot!!
    garbage bears, ganyon robbing killer whales, halibut stealing sharks,
    WHAT NEXT?

any tips on catching them? We have blues that'll show up come august, easy to catch. We dont have quite the specticule of salmon sharks around here to my knowledge but they are definatly around. I've yet to get on a shark charter and would love to do so, however as a charter skipper myself, my understanding is sept is too late out of seward/valdez for them?

So any tips? We tried slow rolling pinks (legal to use sport caught pinks and humpys for bait in this area), to no avail. We've contemplated chum buckets?

Should start seeing them around here anyday now.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan907 View Post
    Also whats up with the yelloweye this year I havent even seen one caught.
    I had never really put much time into targeting yelloweye until the end of last year. Three or four weekends ago we went out from Whittier with yelloweye on the brain since ling was closed and it was to early for silvers. As luck would have it we stopped in the right spot and caught 6 the first day and 10 the second. I'll be back there soon enough to see if I can get so lucky once again.

Last weekend I had one take two chickens from me in Homer then decided to hang around my bow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

what area out of homer? I would not mind hooking into a shark or two when I am down there next week.

Charterboat Operator

Default Shark

THE fun part i did not mention earlier was that about an hour after our little incident one of my clients actually hooked the shark, 190 ft of water jigging for halibut. hooked it right in the tip of the snout with a 24 oz leadhead jig. took about 45 min to get him tothe boat. couldn't decide weather to shoot him first or harpoon him. decided i would shoot him first, tried 3 times to get him to the edge of the boat on the surface. all times just a little out of range for the old snake charmer. the 3rd time he went under the boat and spun hard enough to cut the line. so now i am equiped with 300 lb stainless 12-15 foot leaders, i will be ready if he comes back!

ps, anybody catches one with a yellow-green-white 16 oz lig inthe nose, i would love my jig back! haha

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    what area out of homer? I would not mind hooking into a shark or two when I am down there next week.

By the fingers
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK