Thread: Juneau Silvers

Default Juneau Silvers

Planning a trip to the Capitol in mid September, got some great info from ADFG about the bankie fishery. My only concern is since this mainly a hatchery fishery, do the Commies purge Gastineau channel?
    Any local insight is appreciated, PM's are welcome
    Bye bye Wasilla, hello SE AK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

I would be more than happy to answer a question or provide some answers...but I don't really know what you are asking. The fisheries along Gatineau channel are pretty great for silvers sept-October .

Do the commercial fishermen come thru and net the channel during peak silver season? This happens in other hatchery supported areas, such as Seward and Valdez.
    Dates we are looking at for a Juneau trip are Sept 15-18
    Thanks!

Supporting Member

Oh gotcha, that's what you meant by commies purging the channel. No there's no gill netting, commercial trolling, or seining in the channel. There's pretty good access too. Alaska fly fishing goods has a map of the local area that help with access points on Douglas island which otherwise can be hard to spot. The fishing should be perfect when you come and the silvers have been pretty large on average the last few years.

Troy - thanks for the feedback, that put to bed any netting concerns. I emailed ADFG and got a detailed map of the area and run timing. Should have things booked this week, looking forward to a change of scenery
    Thanks again!

Supporting Member

Good deal, message me when you get to town if you want a fishing buddy for a day!

Will do! Just made travel arraignments for September 15-19. Got a RT ticket thru Delta for $299

I found a couple You Tubes for shore bound Silvers, either of these locales look familiar:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rud-vPg5-Bc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-T-HBAYNqE

Supporting Member

Yep the top one is out thane road in front of sheep Creek looking at douglas island. The bottom one is 9 mile n douglas. Both great spots. 5 mile n douglas and fish Creek both produce as well. Thane was crazy last year. Lots of big cohosh, lookEd like kings jumping around. Plenty in the teens and some in the upper teen's pushing 20 lbs.

Most of the Commies in Juneau are in the Capitol building wearing Birkenstocks and hemp cloths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skamania1 View Post
    Planning a trip to the Capitol in mid September, got some great info from ADFG about the bankie fishery. My only concern is since this mainly a hatchery fishery, do the Commies purge Gastineau channel?
    Any local insight is appreciated, PM's are welcome
    Bye bye Wasilla, hello SE AK!

That is because they fund the hatchery, and need to do what is called cost recovery!!! So you should thank them for providing you with the chance to harvest some of the salmon they pay to put out for all users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skamania1 View Post
    Do the commercial fishermen come thru and net the channel during peak silver season? This happens in other hatchery supported areas, such as Seward and Valdez.
    Dates we are looking at for a Juneau trip are Sept 15-18
    Thanks!

Troy - thanks for the input! Looks like a cool fishery, can't wait!
    MGH - I understand what "cost recovery" is and how it funds the hatchery- I wanted to be sure those efforts took place outside of town and not in the channel