Thread: Trim tabs up or down when getting on plane?

Default Trim tabs up or down when getting on plane?

For years I've got up on plane (heavy cabin cruiser with lots weight at stern) by bringing the outdrive all the way in and tabs all the way down. Then after on plane I bring the outdrive out a bit and then bring the tabs all the way up (unless I need to leave one down some to level from side to side).

Assuming most people get up on plane with the outdrive all the way in, does anyone start out also with the tabs in the up position? This is how my mechanic says he's always done it. This question is related to last fall when I tried to get up on plane my usual way, the boat just couldn't make it and then all of a sudden it revved high like a spun prop. Changed out the prop while still out on the water and it did the exact same thing again. Limped back to Whittier at idle speed. Since then, I haven't had it on the water but had the outdrive gears, clutch and coupler checked (he said all were ok), and bought a new prop to use this season just in case. My mechanic thought maybe the prop was cavitating but in the 15 years I've had the boat I've never had this issue and I've always gotten up on plane the same way, even with much heavier loads. Between my problem on the water and his checking the outdrive and coupler, he ran the boat on Big Lake (starting out with the tabs up) and had absolutely no problem (of course). But the boat was light then because I'd taken pretty much everything off of it.

I set mine to 2 led's down when I start up. I don't use them hardly at all unless I have a quartering to sea or uneven weight in the boat. I don't feel any difference between full up and the 2 led's down position....just habit to set them that way.

Any guestimate about how far down (half, quarter, etc.) 2 LEDs is? My tabs are old school (cheap) and no LEDs. Thanks.

I am guessing it is parrallel with the bottom of the boat or less. I will check when i get back to my boat in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was running my airboat I could care less WHERE my trim tab was. What I did care about was how much fuel I was using. When I was on plain let say I was doing 30 mph @ 3300 rpm I could increase or reduce my speed using the trim tap keeping the RPM @ 3300. The faster I went at the same RPM the better GPH, I was getting.

If there no difference the trim tabs are useless. IMO

I put the motor in it's normal position every time on trim gauge. Then I power down the trim tabs while I'm increasing the throttle to get up on step. Once I get up on step I throttle down to my cruising speed and RPM, usually about 4200 RPM's. Then I use the trim tabs to get the best ride as I have no indicator. I never touch the motor trim and just use the trim tabs.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

I guess maybe that having max hp on my hewes i just do not worry about the couple seconds it takes me to get on step..... I always move my motor trim for most rpms without porpoising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a much smaller boat than y'all so I have a set of Smart Tabs on my boat.
    They are not adjustable while running as they have a gas charged shock that compresses when under power.
    The tabs are down to begin with and as I speed up they start to raise due to water pressure at which time they stop when level with the bottom of the boat.

In the past when running my buddies boats back in Ontario they all had tabs like yours.
    We always ran with them down to start and as the boat came up on plane we would raise them until we hit the sweet spot for the conditions. These were larger sport fishing boats in the 36'-55' range with inboard engines.

My old boat (30'Seasport) I had to use the trim tabs constantly to stay level, although planing out didn't matter.
    My new boat(34' ACB) due to the hull design I rarely use the trim tabs, I'm heavy on the Starboard side and can drop that one a little if I want to be level.
    It sounds like you have bigger problems than Trim tabs.
    Redleader standing by

So do you cruise with you motor trimmed all the way down?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

trim tabs in the "all the way down" position could actually be a hinderance to getting on step. All the way down will add substantial drag, and if you boat is marginally powered, you can really struggle to get out of the hole. This is from experience.

There are many variables of hull design and power available so most boats will need to be learned. In a well powered stable boat. Tabs up or level with hull. Motor full down. Once on the step, or more likely during acceleration, trim with the engine to get best speed for a given RPM. Use the tabs for lateral stability. Has worked well for me anyway.