Thread: HB306 - New bill to restrict trapping

Default HB306 - New bill to restrict trapping

00 HOUSE BILL NO. 306
    01 "An Act prohibiting and providing penalties and civil remedies for trapping within 200
    02 feet of certain public facilities, areas, and trails; and providing for an effective date."
    03 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF ALASKA:
    04 * Section 1. AS 16.05 is amended by adding a new section to read:
    05 Sec. 16.05.781. Trapping near certain public use areas. (a) A person may
    06 not set a trap or snare for animals within 200 feet of a
    07 (1) campsite, recreational beach, roadside rest, scenic site, or other
    08 public facility or area established under AS 41.21; or
    09 (2) public trail.
    10 (b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor and
    11 shall be punished by a fine of not more than
    12 (1) $500, by imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or by both,
    13 unless the circumstance described under (2) of this subsection applies; or
    14 (2) $1,000, by imprisonment for not more than 60 days, or by both, if
    01 the violation caused physical harm to an individual or domestic animal.
    02 (c) In an action under (b) of this section, it is not a defense that another person
    03 was violating a local ordinance relating to the restraint or control of a domestic animal.
    04 (d) A person aggrieved by conduct or threatened conduct in violation of this
    05 section may petition a superior court to enjoin the respondent from engaging in the
    06 conduct. A person who violates this section is liable for general damages and special
    07 damages resulting from that violation.
    08 (e) In this section, "public trail" means a trail or footpath designated under
    09 AS 41.21.850 - 41.21.872 or other trail, footpath, or way that is open to public use as a
    10 matter of right.
    11 * Sec. 2. This Act takes effect January 1, 2017.

I already do all of this. How dare them make trapper ethics a Law.

This bill has pretty much died and a good thing the way it was written is you had to be 200 feet off a trail even if you made the trail and once you walked to a set you had created a foot path so now your set was illegal because you made a trail to it. It essentially would have outlawed trapping if you read the definitions they had with it. It also made a trapper liable no matter where his trap was set or how even if there was a leash law and he caught a dog 1 mile from a road in the city limits of a remote community he could be held liable and also fined What you see here is just a very small piece of a very poorly written bill that was nothing but a direct attack on trapping. For more info take a look at this http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...l#Post5411316s
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    This bill has pretty much died and a good thing the way it was written is you had to be 200 feet off a trail even if you made the trail and once you walked to a set you had created a foot path so now your set was illegal because you made a trail to it. It essentially would have outlawed trapping if you read the definitions they had with it. It also made a trapper liable no matter where his trap was set or how even if there was a leash law and he caught a dog 1 mile from a road in the city limits of a remote community he could be held liable and also fined What you see here is just a very small piece of a very poorly written bill that was nothing but a direct attack on trapping. For more info take a look at this http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...l#Post5411316s
    I read 'public trail'.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I read 'public trail'.
    And not just any public trail; but specifically State designated wilderness trail system trails and campsites, and public rights-of-way.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This bill was trying to protect trappers by keeping them away from the general public and the negative impact it might have. Everyone nowadays has a camera and with social media can have a huge impact (negative) by posting a picture that most people don't want to see. It's a shame that a law like this was even suggested but unfortunately not all trappers have enough common sense to realize the negative impact their poor decisions might have on their fellow trappers.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    This bill was trying to protect trappers by keeping them away from the general public and the negative impact it might have. Everyone nowadays has a camera and with social media can have a huge impact (negative) by posting a picture that most people don't want to see. It's a shame that a law like this was even suggested but unfortunately not all trappers have enough common sense to realize the negative impact their poor decisions might have on their fellow trappers.
    It is too bad that the few slobs make it tough for everyone. Killing someone's pet with a connibear should be something that no trapper wants to do. Sadly, there are some who just don't care, so they set right next to a trail head or road pull out. The predictable consequences give everyone a bad name.

I suggested that our Outdoor Group have someone come to our monthly meeting and give a presentation on rescuing a dog from a connibear. Nearly everyone in our group brings a dog on our outings. We hike on established trails, often going to Refuge or Forest Service cabins.
    Wondering if there is a video that could be shared here showing that. I would then show the video at our next monthly meeting. Pictures and descriptions of what to do just isn't the same as watching a video.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I suggested that our Outdoor Group have someone come to our monthly meeting and give a presentation on rescuing a dog from a connibear. Nearly everyone in our group brings a dog on our outings. We hike on established trails, often going to Refuge or Forest Service cabins.
    Wondering if there is a video that could be shared here showing that. I would then show the video at our next monthly meeting. Pictures and descriptions of what to do just isn't the same as watching a video.
    You need to look through the stored pages of this forum. There was a guy (I forget his name) asking the same question last year (I think - no more than 2 years ago). There was a lengthy discussion on it.

or other trail, footpath, or way that is open to public use as a
    matter of right.

By definition that is basically anyplace someone who walking on public land on any kind of path made by someone. If you cut a trapline trail through public land to drive your snow machine on you can not legally keep anyone off it so by definition you could not set a trap on it either. I am not in anyway condoning the setting of traps within feet of pull outs in the manner that some here have found but this Bill is aimed at hurting trapping not protecting trappers from themselves. It also would make a trapper responsible for hurting a pet even if there was a leash law in the area or any time one was caught in a trap or snare for that matter. I have seen loose dog packed up over 2 miles from the nearest home if any of us caught a dog running in that manner we could be fined and held liable this is not in any way a trapper friendly, Bill Rep Kito is not a friend of the trappers look at his record. I really encourage you all to look at the link I posted above and read it I'm done trying to explain things
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it