Thread: How stable is the Grumman 19 foot Freighter

Default How stable is the Grumman 19 foot Freighter

Been luking for a while on this site and this is my first post. I'm planning on purchasing a freighter next summer. It will be used for fishing. How stable is the 19 foot Grumman Square back Freighter? Can 2 people stand up and fish from it safely? I fish mostly rivers and limited HP lakes. Theres also an electric motors only lake I want to try.

The new one are rated for 5 HP motors, but I see you guys run 15 HPs on yours. Are the older ones rated for more HP?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks Todd

I wouldn't recommend getting a Grumman Freighter if your intent is something like having 2 people standing up and fishing. Can it be done, yes, but it would tend to be a bit tippy in that use. They aren't likely to tip over, but they would not be all that stable of a platform for standing. You would be rocking back and forth a lot.

No, all of the Grumman Freighters that I know of for the last 40+ years have all been rated for 5hp, we just have found through experience that they can be operated with larger engines of various styles (standard outboard, mud motor, etc...).

as Anchskier said the HP rating for the 19 FT is 5 HP but we put up to a 15 HP , most of the larger HP's are put on a lift ,
    the canoe responds different with one of the lifts most of us use. the pushing force of the motors is applied to the side rail 's top
    about 4 FT in front of the transom . don't know how the transom would hold up over time, if the motor of that size was clamped
    directly to it , an do what we do with it , I do know the center seat on the 19FT. takes a beating over time from the lifts we use ,
    torque on the seat from twisting the canoe on full speed fast turns, the 2 braces [ on the back side of seat] as well as the
    rivet in the center of the seat, what I think , could be wrong but , SID

Only stand up in a canoe when someone has the video camera going. Everyone could use a good laugh.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's going to be a Two Rivers Maine Freighter. Two Rivers shop is 8 hours one way from my house. The closest Grumman dealer is 4 miles away...... Oh well.

they are 2 different canoes one [ grumman ] 19 you can pack it [ short distance ] where the 2 rivers is a lot heavier , the more weight the more stable
    the rig will be, the 21 FT HB type you can't carry, has to be on a trailer [ no car top ] like the Grumman, the higher the sides take the water better
    if there was one canoe that will do it all we would all have it , the 19 FT sq Grumman is a great canoe but not a large water unit
    it will do rivers streams but you have to be caerfull in big lakes the waves will do you in real fast, my 2 cts SID

How about the Osagian Missourian? Looks pretty stable with the swells at the bottom of the hull.

You are on the right path with Scott 21... with a 54" beam 2 people can safely stand to fish. I have not had any issues or close calls, very stable canoe.

Ok without beating a dead horse, I guess my question is which would be a better canoe for fishing small rivers and large lake, the 19' Grumman Freighter or the 17' Osagian Missourian? Thanks Todd

I put these on my 19 footer and have never looked back..... https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalo...tAsBoC36Dw_wcB

it all depends on you how much weight you have in the canoe , if the weight is down low below water line, "" great"" as you move the weight up it becomes more unstable just like any boat , it all depends on how high the weight is compared to water line as most canoes are light an narrow , on the HB type canoes are large an heavy == you can stand up in throes type of canoes,
    as the center of gravity goes up look out there is no free lunch the side mounted pontoons are great, the people of the south sea's have used them for a long time , an they have a draw back like "" WIDE "" big water great, small stream's would not work so good , I think SID

Default 19' Grman Sq bk

Used a 19' grumman sq back for several years in the midwest. Loved it! I thought it had exceptional stability for a canoe! (wide bottom and deep sides) My handicapped neighbor and i would sit in lawnchairs (in the canoe) and tear up the pan fish on smallish Wis ponds / lakes. I never missed it so much till I jumped onto a friends plastic coleman (type) canoe. One sneeze (imho) would roll one of those things easily!

I would not recommend standing activity in any canoe however. I use a 17" grumman dbl endr on ponds and small streams up here.

the 19 FT Grumman with with an out board motor 10 or 15 HP is a great boat an we do stand up an run them in all kinds of water , when running rivers [ shallow water ] you have to stand up as you can't see what is up ahead of you, river turns, / rocks, / sand, / logs, if you ask around
    I think most every one that runs rivers in South central will stand an run , also to pick out the best channel of water up ahead , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the 19 FT Grumman with with an out board motor 10 or 15 HP is a great boat an we do stand up an run them in all kinds of water , when running rivers [ shallow water ] you have to stand up as you can't see what is up ahead of you, river turns, / rocks, / sand, / logs, if you ask around
    I think most every one that runs rivers in South central will stand an run , also to pick out the best channel of water up ahead , SID
    True, but there is a big difference when standing to run and you have something to hang onto with both hands (tiller handle and lift handle) versus standing and fishing where you are not hanging onto anything stable. It's doable, but not what I would choose specifically if I had other options and my intent was to be standing a lot.

I under stand what you say but if I hold on to the 2 handles [ tiller & lift] an but my knees on the support, I FEEL A LOT BETTER if I am under power than if I was dead in the water,the running motor gives me a better feeling the power just seem's to help stabilize the canoe a lot better
    I think an it could be in my head but ? also the more weight in the canoe I also feel better ,
    PS not so much weight to sink the canoe, SID

I have a 17' Esquif Cargo with a 9.9 on it and I can stand easily with the help of my "grab rail". It will oil can some so stiffening the bottom just makes it more stable and a little faster. Worth a look anyway.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

stable canoe ??? the heavy-er the canoe the more stable the canoe will be, also how big you are [ weight ] side point bigger canoes sits in the water farther it will be harder to move if it gets stuck or runs out of water to float the canoe an you have to pick it up some to move down or up river ,
    lets face it there is no free lunch . no one boat/ canoe that will do it all , just depends on what type of water you travel
    an how much money you want to spend on it , my 2 CTS SID

There are some serious shortcomings with the Grumman 19'... The flat bottom shape when tilted over loses flotation very quickly. The stern is too narrow. The extruded keel hangs up on the bottom when turning in shallow water. There are much better made hulls out there these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    stable canoe ??? the heavy-er the canoe the more stable the canoe will be, also how big you are [ weight ] side point bigger canoes sits in the water farther it will be harder to move if it gets stuck or runs out of water to float the canoe an you have to pick it up some to move down or up river ,
    lets face it there is no free lunch . no one boat/ canoe that will do it all , just depends on what type of water you travel
    an how much money you want to spend on it , my 2 CTS SID
    180 bare butt and I didn't say you can stand on the edge and dance a jig, just that the stiffening of the bottom makes it better. I can weight shift steer standing unless it's pretty rough then it's time for a skiff and my 1756 I can stand on the gunnels but I don't 'cause I might fall in and get wet.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.