Thread: Whittier update

Default Whittier update

Plan is to uncover the boat next weekend, already took the 2 wheeler (BMW R1200RT) out Saturday and Sunday, so wondering how things are looking in Whittier. Man springtime is knocking at the door. The infamous parking lot should be absent of snow I would think but as usual they're probably about 3 t.o 4 weeks out from being ready. So just wondering if anyone has been down there lately,. A report would be much appreciated.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Spent Sunday and Monday out, not much to report other than great weather. Very little snow this year, lots of low floating logs, the parking lot across the tracks didn't have much snow, it looked like a sheet of ice, the marina is in good shape, they changed the transient slips to the area in front of the Harbor Master, the fuel dock was closed, the ramp was empty, channel 16 was silent, only saw a couple of other boats out, no bear tracks yet, even after the die off there are millions of Murres. Can't wait to get back out...

That is good to hear about the Murres Brian. I think everyone is getting itchy to get out! I know I am.

Looks like it did 30 years ago before the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in AK View Post
    Spent Sunday and Monday out, not much to report other than great weather. Very little snow this year, lots of low floating logs, the parking lot across the tracks didn't have much snow, it looked like a sheet of ice, the marina is in good shape, they changed the transient slips to the area in front of the Harbor Master, the fuel dock was closed, the ramp was empty, channel 16 was silent, only saw a couple of other boats out, no bear tracks yet, even after the die off there are millions of Murres. Can't wait to get back out...
    Brian,

Thanks for the nice update, just looked at the 5 day forecastand wishing I was retired. Hope the low gas prices hold because I plan onleaving a large carbon footprint this year. We usually hit the sound 1stweek in April, might move that forward a bit if this weather holds.

Jay

If I wasn't headded to Homer for the Derby I would be out on the sound this weekend.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

P
    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Plan is to uncover the boat next weekend, already took the 2 wheeler (BMW R1200RT) out Saturday and Sunday, so wondering how things are looking in Whittier. Man springtime is knocking at the door. The infamous parking lot should be absent of snow I would think but as usual they're probably about 3 t.o 4 weeks out from being ready. So just wondering if anyone has been down there lately,. A report would be much appreciated.
    Okay I take full responsibility for this blizzard, not only did I pull my motorcycle out of the corner of the garage I put my snowblower back in the shed and then I stated here that I would pull the tarp off the boat this weekend. I did however get a couple of nice rides out the Seward Highway and this will blow over soon but it just goes to show you mother nature I can spank you when you east expected it.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Shoot today was worse than washing your car 5 minutes before a rainstorm. I spent a couple hours cleaning out all the sand/gravel from our big circle drive and was just fishing blowing it off when the snow started pouring down here in Soldotna. I'll really be kicking myself if I have to sand the driveway again.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Whittier update

Anybody been out of Whittier to see the snow pack? I'd like to go skiing maybe the next 2-3 weekends if there snow to the beach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boat parking lot will open on the 15th or 16th of April.