Thread: Kuiu icon pro 7200

Default Kuiu icon pro 7200

I am considering this pack. Any of you have it? How does it hold up to big loads like a moose hind quarter, does the pack slip off the hips or hang low? Do you like the load sling? How is the craftsmanship and durability? For what I have seen online it looks like a great deal for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

I have a 5200 and put 138 lbs in it on a goat hunt. Those frames are super durable. If you have a smaller torso you may feel that it rides a bit low with heavy loads. If I was looking just to pack a quarter I'd look for a packing frame pack. But for all around use those icon packs are great.

I concur with Andy.
    Being on the short torso side I tend to think it rides a little low under a heavy load but it's a well designed and thought out pack.
    The load sling is one of the best features. I run the 5200 and had no issues packing out a moose last year.

I would be using it for backpack hunting trips 7-14 days. So I need something that will do both haul meat and gear. I am attracted by the light weight of them and the price tag. Originally I was looking at the cabelas prestige frame pack 100L, but that weights in at 12lbs. Did you bone out your meat? I guess I am curious if there is enough room in the load sling area to fit a hind quarter bone in.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Mine was boned out.
    Made it easier to pack out. I didn't see the need to pack out bone since I can't eat it.

Ill try to find a pic of my buddies goat strapped to his 6000. We hauled out close to 100 lbs a piece on that trip. Seemed to work just fine. He even rolled his bag down a steep hill so he didnt have to carry it and there was zero issues with it when he picked it back up.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I hauled two moose (bone in) in my 5200. It was just fine.

i have an icon 7200 in south anchorage. if you'd like to try one on before you buy, feel free to call me 227-3305 Carl
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I have one and I have enjoyed it so far. I am 5'8" 150lbs. and it fits me well and rides well. I just got it for Christmas so all I have used it for so far is camping trips, but I was hiking in some rugged country and it worked great, but I haven't yet put it through the ringer of hunting season. I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    i have an icon 7200 in south anchorage. if you'd like to try one on before you buy, feel free to call me 227-3305 Carl
    Thanks Carl! I will most likely take you up on that soon. I have a pretty busy week, but I will call you as soon as I get some free time.

Smile Update

Well just a quick update. After hours and hours of reading forums, watching videos and doing comparisons, my father, sister and I all ended up getting Barney's Hunter packs. I am MORE than happy with it and think it will be the best choice for durability and comfort for years to come. I highly recommend anyone who is struggling with the decision on what pack they should get to go down to Barney's and talk with Kevin or one of the guys there. They know their stuff, are very friendly and are far more helpful than the hours of research I did on my own. Plus the added bonus of supporting a local business of some stand up guys. They genuinely want to help even if it means I didn't get a pack from them. Went into the store several times and chatted with them asking all kinds of questions and never felt like they were trying to push their stuff or be "saleman-ish". What really impressed me is when the mention of price came up, they said "I would rather you go and get a 12lb cabelas frame pack for hauling all your meat and gear than the internal Kuiu". Their experience with Kuiu is the durability isn't really up to par with what kind of things I will be using it for and what our state has to offer. If anyone else is struggling with the decision on what pack to get, go spend 30 minutes talking with them and I believe it will give you some good insight. Also they are getting ready to have a 10% off sale here for the upcoming sportsman's show.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZe View Post
    Well just a quick update. After hours and hours of reading forums, watching videos and doing comparisons, my father, sister and I all ended up getting Barney's Hunter packs. I am MORE than happy with it and think it will be the best choice for durability and comfort for years to come. I highly recommend anyone who is struggling with the decision on what pack they should get to go down to Barney's and talk with Kevin or one of the guys there. They know their stuff, are very friendly and are far more helpful than the hours of research I did on my own. Plus the added bonus of supporting a local business of some stand up guys. They genuinely want to help even if it means I didn't get a pack from them. Went into the store several times and chatted with them asking all kinds of questions and never felt like they were trying to push their stuff or be "saleman-ish". What really impressed me is when the mention of price came up, they said "I would rather you go and get a 12lb cabelas frame pack for hauling all your meat and gear than the internal Kuiu". Their experience with Kuiu is the durability isn't really up to par with what kind of things I will be using it for and what our state has to offer. If anyone else is struggling with the decision on what pack to get, go spend 30 minutes talking with them and I believe it will give you some good insight. Also they are getting ready to have a 10% off sale here for the upcoming sportsman's show.
    This is pretty much my exact story this year, I was about to buy the 6000 then switched to dead set on the icon 7200.....but then I went to barneys several times and decided to make the decision to invest in the Frontier gear Yukon bag. Super glad after all my research and trying out my buddies 7200 that I went and talked to the pros. Internal frames seem like a legit bag and I love kuiu gear buy nothing beats the ak gear frames!

Awesome! Hope you have a successful season and fill that pack to the max! Can't wait for spring bear to use mine!

You made the right decision to stay away from the Kuiu packs. Had one. Failed miserably first outing (belt broke right in half, stitching on one of the straps came completely undone). Probably OK for a day-trip up the butte, but I wouldn't count on em! Barneys are indestructible, guides choice. I sent back the Kuiu and got a Stone Glacier (if you're into the ultralight thing) that seems pretty stout and way better quality wise. Not many miles on it yet, so time will tell......
    Spewing inflammatory rhetoric and colorful name calling since 2016
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

Do not get the ultra. They are horrible mine is the most expensive day pack I own. Cant hold more than 60lbs without complications, buckles breaking stitching tearing etc

I used my 7200 on my solo bow sheep hunt and the hike in was great. When I boned my sheep out and had to get everything to the bottom was when problems started to show up. The straps are about a third the size of my Barney's pack and started to feel like they were digging in with my sheep in my pack. I like it for right around 60 or so pounds but much more than that it starts to bottom out. It saved me about 3 lbs or so vs the barneys pack but I can guarantee you I wouldn't have been able to feel the difference. I still think it's a great pack but I'm taking my Barneys pack on my sheep hunt this year.

I own a 7200, 5200 a 3200 and an 1850. I love them I've gotten rid of all my other packs. They now make a load carrier which i just bought and will try out on my moose hunt this year. I was hiking 10-15 miles a day with the 7200 last fall and didnt feel the fatigue and pain everywhere like I did with my other packs. Biggest thing is to follow the instructions and fit it to you along with making sure your order the correct belt size. All my Kuiu gear has been incredible and I've replaced nearly every piece of gear I can with it.

If you want a high quality "internal" frame, get a Kifaru... Unless you plan on not shooting anything. Most packs are equal with 40-50 lbs. I can carry over 100 pretty comfortably in my Kifaru. Cannot say that about any other pack besides Barneys that I have tried

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk