Thread: I need a pole

Default I need a pole

My power company requires a pole if I want power to my cabin. I am going to come up in early May to put a pole in but I need to find a pole. My cabin is near Healy and I need a 25'/30' treated pole. Any ideas? I have found some in Fairbanks for $500 but I would also still need to haul it to the house. I would prefer to find something closer unless someone has a cool idea for hauling 1 with a pickup.

Before you go too far down this road you may want to confirm that they will hook up power to an owner installed pole. Most power companies require a certified installer, ie. "union shop" to install the pole before hookup. I know a guy in the Matsu that is without power because MEA will not allow him to install the poles or dig the buried line trenches. And power is across the road from his property. Of course, its a prideful argument now and he has spent far more burning diesel in the genset then he would have had he allowed them to install. But still, it would suck to get it all set up and not be able to use it.

I think you can set your own pole, stick an ad on craigslist
    For someone to haul it for you ie somebody headed to anchorage with a empty trailer. They have to be set in about 5 feet so frost may be a issue in early May.

You can do it yourself but they will not connect to it unless it meets their specs. GVEA has a handout with the requirements and most electrical suppliers have a service pole package with all the required hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thanks folks.
    i will contact GVEA and make sure I can plant the pole, then I need to find one. Otherwise I will just have a week in Alaska to kill.

I suggest you contact: "DENALI DIRT WORKS" there in Healy, and have them do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I suggest you contact: "DENALI DIRT WORKS" there in Healy, and have them do everything.
    Got it! Thanks.