Thread: Good All Around Trolling/Spinning Rods for Lakers for my Kids

Default Good All Around Trolling/Spinning Rods for Lakers for my Kids

Hey Guys, it's been so long since I've done any spin fishing I've kinda lost touch with good quality spinning/trolling gear. I've been mostly fly fishing for the last 15-20 years I don't really do much spin fishing or trolling anymore. I would like to buy a couple decent trolling/spinning rods for my kids because we are going to be building a cabin this summer on a lake with lake trout. I thought about buying a couple trolling rods the other day with some Abu Garcia bait casting reels. I saw a good deal on some combos for less than a hundred bucks. But then my son mentioned that he wanted a rod that he could also cast from shore so then I got thinking that maybe I should just buy a heavy duty spin casting combo rod and reel. Any good suggestions on good deals?

I'm a compete novice, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've caught plenty of fish on Ugly Sticks.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Ugly stick is the way to go

IMO, Ugly sticks are made for new fisherman and kids simply because they are almost impossible to break. I can't stand them, I don't think they have a good feel and most of the ones I've fished didn't have a good enough back bone for good hook sets. I'd look more into a medium-heavy 9' plus name brand rod (lamiglass, gloomis, shimano Etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I'd look more into a medium-heavy 9' plus name brand rod (lamiglass, gloomis, shimano Etc)
    I've tried my 9' rods on kids, grandkids and visitors, and at least with my own models, the extra length is kind of a handicap- especially on windy days or when landing fish. Scaled up, it's kinda like handing a beginning adult a 14' rod, and seeing how they fare. We keep several rods around for kids now, but the longest is 7 1/2'. Given their choices, the kids gravitate to the 6' models and do lots better with them. Different looks, but food for thought.

I don't think they have a good feel and most of the ones I've fished didn't have a good enough back bone for good hook sets.
    A friend used to use one for kings and he ended up saying the same thing, and after being with him when he lost a few I would have to agree. But for trout and smaller fish some of the newer models are pretty nice....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

IMO, I'd look more into a medium-heavy 9' plus name brand rod (lamiglass, gloomis, shimano Etc)
    Name brand and kids just don't go well. How old are your kids?
    I agree with most that for youngsters an ugly stick is the way to go. They are ugly but darn near indestructible and can almost be used as a pull rope in a pinch, as far as feel goes a younger kid won't know the difference between the feel of good and cheap rod.

With the spool tensioner set correctly it's easy to cast a bait caster reel and doesn't take long to learn either. I'm not a fan of spinning setups

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Name brand and kids just don't go well. How old are your kids?
    I agree with most that for youngsters an ugly stick is the way to go. They are ugly but darn near indestructible and can almost be used as a pull rope in a pinch, as far as feel goes a younger kid won't know the difference between the feel of good and cheap rod.

With the spool tensioner set correctly it's easy to cast a bait caster reel and doesn't take long to learn either. I'm not a fan of spinning setups

Although my rig of choice nowadays is bait caster or fly rod, I did however grow up using spin gear. The old original Mitchell 300 was a thing of beauty. I still like to use one for ultralight fishing....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ugly stick, cost is not much an one of the best rods to learn on bar none, cant go wrong , there are a lot of rods that are better but they break a lot faster

So for kids/Trout/Grayling, thoughts?

...Shimano Ugly Stik, 6', Light Action
    ...Shimano Symetre 2500 spinning reel?

Will be taking the GK's on a monthlong fishing trip on the road system this summer/fall.....
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although my rig of choice nowadays is bait caster or fly rod, I did however grow up using spin gear. The old original Mitchell 300 was a thing of beauty. I still like to use one for ultralight fishing....
    I've still got a couple of the Mitchell 300's I got years ago. They need to be cleaned up but I bet they would still work beautifully. I need to find an old spinning rod to put one on and put it on the wall