Thread: Boat recovery tools?

Default Boat recovery tools?

Just seeing what everyone is using to recover their boats off sand bars and such while running rivers?

Has anyone used a parachute? If so what size worked best? How large of a boat did you use it on?

Anyone have winches mounted on boats or use a multi mount winch system?

Chainsaw winches?

Any other ideas out there?

Rob

I was looking at various chainsaw powered winches; the capstan and roller type. Decided to try and be more careful than carry around a 40 pound tool. I know, I know, when I get stuck I'll kick myself. Some guys on the Yukon use a high-thrust motor mounted such they can direct the water flow back under the boat and literally excavate the sand/gravel from under their boat.

Default Been stuck a few times

Perfecting my tools. I carry a couple of 2 X 4's to use as pry bars. Have a 3,000 lb Warn winch mounted on the front, that along with a snatch block should get me out of most problems. Carry a handy man jack to lift the back end. Carry a 6' drift sock from Overtons. 300 feet of Blue Steel rope, 5000 lb. Great stuff, doesn't store energy, no whip lash if it breaks and it floats. Strange thing too, since I got all this stuff I haven't been stuck.

Hey Rob. Do a parachute search in this section and you'll find another good thread. Including some info on using modified truck tubes and also small plastic pipes. Good stuff.

Richard,

For once I did not do a proper search on this subject before posting.

Still wondering what size parachute to get there are a lot of different sizes out there. I don't see the need for a full size one.

Like the idea of the pvc pipes but not sure they will hold up with the weight of my boat on them, thinking a few trees will do the same and hold up better.

Like the idea of the chainsaw winches but I still don't own a chainsaw. I do have a WARN 6,000lb multi mount winch I might just try fitting a receiver to my boat for.

Default rescue tools

Carry a hand saw to cut alders to put under boat if I get stuck. When alders get wet, they are slick, and they work pretty well as pry bars too!! Appropriate hand saw about 2lbs.

I have a parachute, i think it is about 7 feet, got it off ebay, $30 weighs about 3lbs.

Went to AIH and got a rope winch that fits my anchor rope. Think I paid about $50 for it New, it weights about 10lbs i think.
    When I went looking for anchor rope, I found it was WAY cheaper to just buy the whole spool, so I think i have 600'. This is a little bulky and definetly adds some weight, but if I get stuck, and can't tie off to something within 600' I really screwed up!!!

Don't forget to haved the appropriate first aid kit on board, and a good survival kit too. I always have 2 gals of fresh water, and an abundance of bandaids with me no matter where I go.

By the way, the wife put on the float coat this weekend cause she got wet in the rain, needless to say, I will be getting another one for her as she loved the thing. Kept her warm and dry, and it was a life preserver!!

When I bought our boat I bought the wife a float coat on the way home. lol. They are absolutely the way to go, especially when you want to make sure your spouse is comfortable.

Did you get the 1/2" rope-a-long?

How much did you end up paying for your rope, did you get nylon, what size?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default rope comealong

I was thinking of throwing in a rope comealong. I don't have the problem that it sounds like you guys have though. The boat I am running (sportjon 2006) can be man handled and freed by two guys. Having a rope comealong and a metal stake to drive into the ground would be a good idea for me though. I like the idea of the pvc pice also.

A case of beer will entice passing boaters to stop and help. If you don't get stuck you get to enjoy a little bonus for your superior driving skills.

If you're a particularly bad boat driver and anticipate getting REALLY stuck? Take two cases!

I like your way of thinking Mr. Pid!

bgreen I have been eyeballing those float coats and they look like a great idea. Think I am going to pick up a couple for my wife and I. I am sure the kids will want their own after they try them out. Man this boat stuff just keeps adding up!