Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapline, pics from the trail..

Default Trapline, pics from the trail..

Season is about done, I'll snapping the last of my wolf traps tomorrow. I was going thru some trail pics from thru out the season and thought I would share. Animal cycles are down, fur prices are down, but it's not always about catching for me..
    The "trail" started out very rough this year..

I always carry a rope-a-long..

And chainsaws..

Found signs of the trapper before me. Did some reseach and found out it was from a guy in the 70's. Pretty neat how he used to put his bait in the old cans to keep from all the birds on his marten poles..

Found half a doz of them still standing..

I set them but didn't find them till late in the season. Didn't catch any on his, but did pick up a few nice marten this year!

I did get a little snow towards the end of season..

Had fun playing with the wolves this year..

But this old dog switched up his routes everytime I went out. Notice how he drags his feet. Most likely he's an old loner that was kicked out of the pack. Always next year..Or maybe tomorrow?

Stunning days..

Well my passion as you can see is solitude being out on the line. All worries and stress absolutly disappear. I feel at home and at peace and could care less on what is going on in the rest of the world. Hope I can keep it up till the end. Anyway, had some fun adventures this year. Caught mink, ermine, otters, muskrats, marten, fox, wolf and..

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I enjoy your posts and knowledge. What Unit and/or general area are u at?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing, awesome stuff.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Nice pictures Steve I am hoping weather patterns return to normal so I can find that solitude and get to my main lines. I love finding old trap sites stumble on them here and there along with old cabins or tent frames was running through the woods this year ith so little snow in an area I have run for 15 yrs when I started seeing old dog pot remains and realized I was in an old dog yard but couldn't locate the cabin or tent frame
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

thanks for sharing the pics and your thoughts, much appreciated

Very nice pics and your comments on the reason to be out there is spot on - we all make life to complex - sitiing in the wilderness somewhere, anywhere, has always been a soothing place for me... I feel sorry for those that are trapped in major cities or find no interest in finding out how that experience may feel and touch their souls... Would probably eliminate a lot of hatred we see on the news daily...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

cod- i'm in unit 13 in the Nelchina Basin.

Well, went out to snap the wolf line down and ended up with a change of events. The pack of 4 wolves I have been playing with ( now 3) pulled down and killed a 3 year old moose along the upper stretch of my line. Bummer because I have been watching this moose and it's mother for the whole season, sometimes having to wait on them to get off the trail for me to continue on. I was almost to my camp, 29 miles away from my main cabin when I found this kill. My plans were to sleep the night at camp and then return back in the morning traveling my southern route and do a little scouting for next year, maybe even cross some early grizz tracks. Well, I changed my plan after getting to my camp to where I would get up and leave in the dark and then back track 30 miles to where I have most of my wolf gear hanging in trees, gather up the traps and snares and then return back to the kill and set it up. The trail is rough, long and we lost an hour last weekend so I was in for a long day..

I was just thru this area last Sunday so the kill was very fresh. From the looks of the tracks I would guess only a couple of days. The first thing I like to do when finding these is park my sled and shut it off immediately as not to let the exhast stink up the trail. I then just sit on my machine, never getting off and just focus on how it all took place, and if they return, how will they approach. I study where I plan on setting traps and also looking for areas around the kill to set snares. The wolves ate exactly 1/2 of the moose and I hope they return...

The return trip back after setting the kill was gorgeous and signs of spring where starting to show.

Had a greeting from my favorite little mouser when I pulled up at the end of the day!

I stumbled on a wolf killed moose on Swanson River many years ago. (well there have been others, but this one was the most interesting) I have pics on film somewhere. A huge pack had been traveling down river. Tracks were fresh. I guessed more than 15 in the pack. They split up, with half leaving the river and going up and along a high bank. A few more corners and there is the kill. A yearling moose. The wolves that had split off came down the bank down river from the moose. Both groups attacked. The moose only went about 30 yards from where they attacked to where he went down. There was almost nothing left to eat. The hide was still pliable, and not frozen yet. Bones and hide were about all that was left. I imagined the whole bunch of them not far away with distended bellies.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I stumbled on a wolf killed moose on Swanson River many years ago. (well there have been others, but this one was the most interesting) I have pics on film somewhere. A huge pack had been traveling down river. Tracks were fresh. I guessed more than 15 in the pack. They split up, with half leaving the river and going up and along a high bank. A few more corners and there is the kill. A yearling moose. The wolves that had split off came down the bank down river from the moose. Both groups attacked. The moose only went about 30 yards from where they attacked to where he went down. There was almost nothing left to eat. The hide was still pliable, and not frozen yet. Bones and hide were about all that was left. I imagined the whole bunch of them not far away with distended bellies.
    I always like to picture in my mind how it all went down when I find these. Part of nature people rarely see. Often you will find several piles of bones chomped in small pieces scattered around the kill site. This is were a wolf got his share or chunk and will go off 20-30 yards and lay down to eat without fighting with others. Amazing the chomping power wolves have. I have seen moose skulls and leg bones shattered by their strong jaws..

I took pics (film again) at a kill site in the snow on Swanson. It was after a fresh dusting of snow. Perfect impression of the wings, tail, and feet where an eagle had landed.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Great pics thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see what you pull off that moose kill.

Great Pics Thanks for sharing

[QUOTE=trailblazersteve;1531156]

The first thing I like to do when finding these is park my sled and shut it off immediately as not to let the exhast stink up the trail. I then just sit on my machine, never getting off and just focus on how it all took place, and if they return, how will they approach. I study where I plan on setting traps and also looking for areas around the kill to set snares. The wolves ate exactly 1/2 of the moose and I hope they return...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I always like to picture in my mind how it all went down when I find these. Part of nature people rarely see. Often you will find several piles of bones chomped in small pieces scattered around the kill site. This is were a wolf got his share or chunk and will go off 20-30 yards and lay down to eat without fighting with others.
    Great advice Steve. Thanks for sharing with us novices. You always got great insight to share with the new guys. Your story reminds me of years ago when I was guiding and I got the rare opportunity to watch wolf kill a caribou one time. It was pretty unbelievable. We were on the Post river in the Alaska Range and I was with a bowhunter that I was guiding for a grizzly. Anyhow, we were sitting there for hours glassing this mountain side in May, when out of the blue this caribou came running down the river. It was a small cow, unhealthy looking. Skinny and mangey looking. All of a sudden this big freaking wolf came pouncing from out of nowhere out of the trees just to the right of the riverbank and pulverized this caribou. For the life of me I can't seem to recall now why the hunter chose not to pursue this wolf. Perhaps he was in shock. I can't really remember. All I remember is that he was a bowhunter and we both just sat there in disbelief just soaking up this unbelievable event.

Cool pic Steve!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast