Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2016' Freeze Dried Food "BUYING" options "ONLY" (Not taste discussion)

  1. #1

    Default 2016' Freeze Dried Food "BUYING" options "ONLY" (Not taste discussion)

    The goal of this thread is finding what options exist for buying Freeze Dried food at the most reasonable price point. NOT a discussion about different brands quality or taste.

    Given that foil packaged products have a 7 to 10 year storage life, and that the #10 cans of freeze dried foods have a 35 to 50 year storage life. It seems prudent to inventory some amount for future outdoor trips or possible localized disasters. On long hunts you can open the #10 can and repackage in smaller units just before departure.

    Most will prefer to wait till preparing for an outing to buy locally at the then best current price. I would like to explore what other options are available. Some examples of group ordering could revolve around different clubs, or church, or local community/neighborhood units or family's. Maybe even a group of forum members.

    What are the buying options........for bulk orders.......??? AMAZON.COM is one, VF GRACE is another. WALMART maybe.....???

    Do you know any options for Alaska bulk orders.......??? I know the State of Alaska has bought a few million dollars worth in the past. I am going to order five cases of #10 cans soon, most likely from Amazon.com "Prime" unless other options surface from this thread. Thank You, for help.




  2. #2

    Default

    Michael Strahan,

    I know that several of the "Blog'sites" that I read have a link to Amazon.com that costs me nothing extra, but kicks back a small amount to the "Blog Owner". I don't know how it works, but I now spend most of my money at Amazon.com and only go to town every three or four months. And they deliver free to the bottom of my mountain.

    If there is a way to help "The Alaska Outdoors Forum" and it cost me zero, I am sure willing to start at your link. These (5) five cases will likely be $740.00 to $775.00

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    AGL,

    Dig around in the North Bay Trading site as they have a few very interesting items. It's not pre=packaged backpacking food but foods I use in every day cooking.

    I like the celery in soups and the bell peppers in omelets etc. About once every three years, I buy a shipment and store it in large white pails with screw-on [after market] lids with a small container of each in the kitchen. It takes a while for the carrots to soften but with a can of chicken and some noodles, I'm well on the way to chicken noodle soup.

    Moose meatloaf with the celery and peppers is great.....lotsa good stuff in that site.

  4. #4
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Doesn't Marc at Wiggy's usually do a bulk order every year?

  5. #5

    Default

    If I order 5 cases, each with six #10 cans per case=30 cans. so if I can save a few dollars per can it adds up.

  6. #6
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Contact Wise directly. They have monthly specials and half some amazing deals.

    one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  7. #7
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    This may not be what you're looking for, but Wal-mart gets a big supply of all kinds of freeze dried food in the summer time. I used to buy the big cans of freeze dried fruits to take along on my backpacking trips. Pretty cheaply priced as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  8. #8
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Michael Strahan,

    I know that several of the "Blog'sites" that I read have a link to Amazon.com that costs me nothing extra, but kicks back a small amount to the "Blog Owner". I don't know how it works, but I now spend most of my money at Amazon.com and only go to town every three or four months. And they deliver free to the bottom of my mountain.

    If there is a way to help "The Alaska Outdoors Forum" and it cost me zero, I am sure willing to start at your link. These (5) five cases will likely be $740.00 to $775.00

    Just saw this. We are actually looking at Amazon for some other things. Let me check this out and get back with you.

    Thanks!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  9. #9

    Default

    YES........WALMAT is where I have been buying #10 cans for about 5 years. In Anchorage they have the #10 cans of Mountain House in both Sporting Goods Camping and in Specialty Foods. They also have 5 gal. plastic pails of "RED WINTER WHEAT".

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    This may not be what you're looking for, but Wal-mart gets a big supply of all kinds of freeze dried food in the summer time. I used to buy the big cans of freeze dried fruits to take along on my backpacking trips. Pretty cheaply priced as well.

  10. #10
    Member J2theD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Every once in awhile Costco gets Mt. House and its like $40 for 12 dinners, a couple breakfasts, and a dessert. I always buy a couple whenever I see them.

  11. #11
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I remember 3 bears getting those deals as well. You're talking about the ones that come in the square shaped bucket right? I used to pick one or two of those up every year just to stock pile.

    I'm looking at drying out my own food now, I'm thinking it will be way cheaper, and way less sodium than mountain house.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  12. #12

    Default

    Yes......the square 5 gal. white buckets. When Wal-mart first got them in, they just sat there and no one in Alaska was into preparing for long term food shortage. They kept lowering the price, till they were 1/4 of what they sell for in America when on super sale. I think I have about 300 pounds buried in caves and old mines.


    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I remember 3 bears getting those deals as well. You're talking about the ones that come in the square shaped bucket right? I used to pick one or two of those up every year just to stock pile.

    I'm looking at drying out my own food now, I'm thinking it will be way cheaper, and way less sodium than mountain house.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •