Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KP black bear out yet?

Default KP black bear out yet?

I've been keeping my ears open and watching for intel, but I have not heard rumor of any black bear out and about on the peninsula yet. Has anyone seen tracks? I will be out beating the bush and doing some calling with my son this weekend... hoping I'm not premature. At the very least it will be great to just get out and do some walking.

A friend was out hiking last Sunday and crossed a fresh set of tracks.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

I've heard of a few, brown and black, being sighted the last few weeks. I plan on taking a look around Moose Pass in the next few days myself. Like you said, great getting out regardless. Good luck. There are definitely a few out and about.

One came out of the den today and did not lay around, just down to Six-Mile Creek. A different one was in and out of the den most of last week, but have not seen it sense last Friday. And had a little Black Bear around that did not hibernate. Lots and lots of dangerous snow slides around here.

Thanks ya'll. i can hardly wait to get out and walk the country.

I have friends in the Scout Lake area that say, there has been a mid-size brown bear out all winter.

Was out of Homer last weekend and did a fair amount of glassing I expected there to be some out and about but was surprised that I didn't even see any tracks in the snow. Another week and they should be moving over there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I used to like to do that in Sadie Cove, Tony.
    Yeah, we've been walking about in places where we have seen plenty of bear sign over the years, and we saw nothing to indicate movement. My guess is that this cold spell may retard their rousing from hibernation.

They are in and out all year long and one can see or run into them any month of the year. Mid April is the earliest I would put my time in as some of the chutes and and other southern exposures may start to green up then. A hungry bear on a food source is much easier to hunt.

I have new green vegetation in the ditch along the Hope Road/Hwy. and a few leaves are unfurling, very few, but a few. This normally happens on MAY the 8'th through 12'th........Very strange winter. Has been in the low 50's every day this week, and 56 one day.

My experience with black bears in the spring, is that even though some may be 'out' they are not very active until there is fresh green vegetation to eat. They don't wake up ravenously hungry. Once they have fresh greens to eat, their system wakes up, and they are much more active. Breeding happens in June, and things will change then too. Ones you saw on a bait, might not show up again. Boars will be moving a lot then, and not hanging around. If you have a sow, especially one with cubs hitting your bait, she might stick around and bring in a boar.
    I don't get too excited about looking for them until things green up. I have seen them earlier, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I do have some excellent pics of 3 adult bears that showed up at my cabin one spring when not a green thing was poking it's head out yet. Ended up killing one of them with my bow a week or so later.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

My suspicion is that around k-bay it will be similar toy the last few years... With very little snow green-up will occur on south facing slopes at the same time or even before the shorelines. This means that the bears are not beholden in any way to the beaches, and will be fairly distributed as opposed to concentrated on the beaches. There will be bears along the shore, but the areas that most appeal to then are not visible from a boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

By the middle of May last year everything had leaves on it and all was green so it made glassing tougher. I'm guessing it'll be the same this year or earlier

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Well, I'll go ahead and get everyone psyched out. I was out today on the hunt once again. Saw my first blackie out and about today. Bigger than the one I got last fall. Down in the river bottoms about 100 yards off the river. He stayed in a patch of spruce, maybe six trees, for the half hour I watched him. He never did give me a full on view and he was on the other side of the river. There were tracks along the river edge that tipped me off. Could not positively id them as bear from my distance but looked likely. A little extra attention in that area paid off.
    He never left that 50 ft area so I may attempt an approach from a diff area tomorrow. Two feet of super soft snow today and 80 percent of the ground was still covered in his area. I was out in that same spot two days ago and there were no tracks, so he just came out. Had to be near 50 degrees out there today.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Two feet of super soft snow today and 80 percent of the ground was still covered in his area.
    Wait a minute.....you got 2' of fresh snow down there yesterday...???!!! Was that blackie in the same general vicinity as the brownie you killed?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wait a minute.....you got 2' of fresh snow down there yesterday...???!!! Was that blackie in the same general vicinity as the brownie you killed?
    I think he just means there was 2' of snow on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Negative on the FRESH snow. And in retrospect, it was actually last Sunday I was in this spot, not two days ago. Sunday, the snow was so hard Sunday we had the scratchers out on the machines. Yesterday I was sinking a ft with the super wide track.
    Blackie was down valley about 6-7 miles of brownie taken.

Negative on the FRESH snow. And in retrospect, it was actually last Sunday I was in this spot, not two days ago. Sunday, the snow was so hard Sunday we had the scratchers out on the machines. Yesterday I was sinking a ft with the super wide track.
    Blackie was down valley about 6-7 miles of brownie taken.
    I didn't know you even had that much on the ground down there. Ours is almost gone here. Even though we got 5" of fresh stuff it was almost all gone the next day. I guess they've got a lot up in the hills though. I take it you haven't been back out to look for that blackie again?

I just saw him yest about 4 pm. I'm looking at my maps now to see if I have some other options to make a retrieval eas(ier). Or possible from another direction.
    Kind of fun learning my neighborhood like I knew my neighborhood when I was a kid. Remember those days? I'm getting there!

I just saw him yest about 4 pm. I'm looking at my maps now to see if I have some other options to make a retrieval eas(ier). Or possible from another direction.
    Because of the river you mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast