Thread: Mauser 98 experts.....need help

Default Mauser 98 experts.....need help

It seems I may have jinxed myself. I recently acquired an interarms 300 WM and while at the range yesterday had problems. When I pull the bolt to extract the spent cartridge sometimes the cartridge below it will pop up either totally or part way and then of course the bolt picks up the third cartridge and jams it into the second one! Has anyone had a problem like this before? Did someone polish the magazine lips too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    It seems I may have jinxed myself. I recently acquired an interarms 300 WM and while at the range yesterday had problems. When I pull the bolt to extract the spent cartridge sometimes the cartridge below it will pop up either totally or part way and then of course the bolt picks up the third cartridge and jams it into the second one! Has anyone had a problem like this before? Did someone polish the magazine lips too much?
    I have seen this in guns where the relief portion of the feed rail is too short. This [the relief] is on the bottom of the feed rail [facing the magazine box] must allow the shoulder to rest in the relief. If not the cartrage is cocked to one side. Seems odd in a factory gun though.

Yes, sounds like the mag lips are too open, Take it to a gun smith, they may be able to weld or braze the lips to hold the cartridge in place until it is picked up be the bolt.

Make sure you have the correct follower and spring before you alter the feed lips at all. Often these problems are follower related.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Make sure you have the correct follower and spring before you alter the feed lips at all. Often these problems are follower related.
    I agree. I'll add the potential of a weak follower spring. It simply might not be pressing the follower and rounds up with enough pressure. It's pretty common in older bolt rifles including the 98. It's also the easiest thing to check. Try removing the spring and stretching it. I'd do that before any other form of surgery. Kinda odd to think of it in a newer rifle, but it could reflect a bad run of spring temper jobs when the gun was made.

If the stretch appears to fix it, don't stand pat. It's only a checkup. Replace the spring.

Thanks! Good input. I will check on these points. This rifle was manufactured in the late 80's. When I figure it out I'll let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Thanks! Good input. I will check on these points. This rifle was manufactured in the late 80's. When I figure it out I'll let you guys know.
    Ok I think I got it. When I got the rifle , the first thing I did was put three rounds down and cycled them in and out...no problems. These were factory federal ammo. The I went and test fired and sighted it in on the bench. Went home and loaded some 165 Sierra HPBT. After checking zero I fired 9 rounds off hand. This is when the feeding issue showed up. Tonight I measured all dimensions of the reloads and factory cartridges. The diameter was bigger with the reloads....0.490 vs 0.483 at the base of the shoulder, and 0.502 vs 0.495 in the middle. Not much difference, but, the factory loads cycled much more reliably....not perfect. I opined that the bigger the diameter, the more upward pressure is being applied to the top cartridge from the one below it (remember they are staggered), therefore less force into the Feed lip. Gotta stop and visualize that one for a moment. 🙄 So, with a caliper in hand I slowly opened the top of the magazine box in order to offset the staggered cartridges a bit more. It seems to have worked. I'll feel more confident after actually firing a couple of boxes, instead of just cycling them through in and out.