Thread: Float hunt RC566

Default Float hunt RC566

I am looking to hunt the RC566 for the first time. I am thinking about flying into the head of the Gakona river and floating it with inflatable canoes. Any advice? I will be going with a buddy of mine and my 16 yo son. Looking to get him on some game before his senior year. I am curiuos what the river is like, whether or not it will be doable, or worth my time. If not, I am open to other suggestions. Like I said this is my first time doing this hunt so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've no insight on the Gakona River, but have heard of people floating out of Dickey Lake on the Gulkana to bou hunt.

thanks Gary. Any word as to success rates or hunter density? Another question? what is the "average" temperature for this area in September?

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper86 View Post
    thanks Gary. Any word as to success rates or hunter density? Another question? what is the "average" temperature for this area in September?
    You'll see other hunters no doubt, but not as many as other places. You'll have space and peace mostly. You should have no trouble filling your tags if you get out and walk away from the river in likely spots. Be prepared for Temps close to zero F. You'll mostly see Temps from high 30s to low teens with the possible warm fall day and frigid night/ morning. But be prepared for possible snow and extreme cold.
    Pack a Fly rod and plenty of tippet and dry flies. The fishing can be excellent and will you variety in your diet

Release Lake Trout

That is excellent!! Thank you all for the information. I am very excited to get out and give er a go. As for fly fishing, I was hoping to hear that. Looks like I'm going to be buying some more clothes for the boy and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

next question, I was looking into the gulkana. How gnarly are the canyon rapids? is it something we need to worry about? that seems like a looong portage to get around.

next question, I was looking into the gulkana. How gnarly are the canyon rapids? is it something we need to worry about? that seems like a looong portage to get around.
    First off, I have not seen zero degrees in that country by the 20th of Sep in a long time. Certainly earlier in the hunt it will be much warmer than that. The portage at the canyon is not long. With inflatables, I normally portage the gear to the end of the falls (not much more than a quarter of a mile) and then run the canyon with light rafts/canoes. The trouble with the Gulkana is visibility. You may catch groups of caribou crossing the river and if you are ready- hunt over. Other than that there is not a lot of opportunity for spot and stalk.

Its about a 1/4 mile portage. There are some good campsites in the canyon area that can be used to breakup the time spent portaging. There is no "requirement" to portage but if you flip and lose essential hear it will make for a long trip to the takeout. If you run your boat make sure you have momentum to carry you over the bottom ledge hole or it may suck you back in and send you for a lengthy surf (personal experience). Weight slightly forward of center may also help get you over and out of the hole.

Search YouTube and there should be some videos of the Gulkana canyon rapids.

wow that sounds much more doable. Now the only issue i am running into is trying to find someone able to fly us in for the hunt. Day late dollar short it seems. I will definitely look at the videos. The rapids not withstanding, how is the rest of the float?

wow that sounds much more doable. Now the only issue i am running into is trying to find someone able to fly us in for the hunt. Day late dollar short it seems. I will definitely look at the videos. The rapids not withstanding, how is the rest of the float?
    Where are you looking to start your float?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

im definitely open to suggestions. I was originally thinking the mouth of the Gakona, but had not heard any intel about this river. I was told about starting at Dickey lake. The only thing I know for sure is I want the float to end in a place I can haul out to the truck. The reason I was looking at flying into the start of the float was to try to minimize the amount of hunters wed run into. Do you have any suggestions?