Thread: How are these guys catching so many kings?

Default How are these guys catching so many kings?

I've watched the video link below several times trying to figure out how these guys are fishing and their terminal tackle. Note the Soldotna bridge in the background. I have thought about throwing lures for kings from the bank, and after watching these guys I'm even more determined to try it this coming July. It looks like they have about a 1-2 ounce weight, then a long leader, then some type of lure. I'm guessing they cast out a long distance slightly upstream and let the lure slowly drift downstream. Maybe a bank fisherman's version of backtrolling. Any insights on this technique would be appreciated, especially the type of lures being used. The lures look somewhat like 2-3 very large bead eggs strung on the leader, and then a hook.

And I know better than to abuse any fish I catch like they do in the video.

The date on the video is 7/14/10, but not posted until 2012 or 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSU2w7FaA1c

Looks like tried/true drift-fishing tackle to me. Looks like they found a honey-hole to reach the fish where that presentation is the ticket. But since they don't show anything other than the fight/release in the video, can't say for sure that they aren't flossing, either.

More worrisome is dragging the fish ashore into the rocks and the blatant disregard for removing the fish from the water and then releasing.

If they're simply keeping the fish, then letting them beat their heads on the rocks is forgiveable.... fish is destined to die anyway.

NOT exactly showcasing the best practices for responsible C&R.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

It looks like they had more Silvers then Kings by a long shot, and that tells me it was later then 17th of July. It was filmed in an area that should be closed to ings this year. It is sad, but I have seen guys hook 10 or more Kings a day after it is closed to fishing for Kings.

Back in the day when it was just a mud hole getting down to the Kasilof at Crooked Ck. and long before all the masses started hitting the "Party Hole" We used to do quite well on kings just bouncing down a 1oz. "Little Jewel" literally on the bottom. The kings would slam those things when the first few rays of light would start hitting the water in the morning. But like I say, that was when you could cast way out and use a whole lot of river doing so....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used to fish just downstream from where that video was shot maybe 35-40 years ago. We would use heavy spoons (like the little jewel mentioned above or 2 pixies attached on the same split rings with a single siwash hook). We used 20# line, god bait casting rods and reels. We casted out as far as we could and just let the spoon bounce down the river bottom. The best day I had was 13 big kings landed. We lost of lot of big kings when they would get out in the current and keep going. They would spool us often. Best time of day was early morning or late in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    .....We casted out as far as we could and just let the spoon bounce down the river bottom.....
    Wasn't that a blast...???!!! I was just always amazed at how well kings would hammer those spoons just bouncing on the bottom like that.

Seeing that you've been around that long.........do you happen to remember that old man catching that 70+ pound king off the bank up around the Moose River?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Back in the day when it was just a mud hole getting down to the Kasilof at Crooked Ck. and long before all the masses started hitting the "Party Hole" We used to do quite well on kings just bouncing down a 1oz. "Little Jewel" literally on the bottom. The kings would slam those things when the first few rays of light would start hitting the water in the morning. But like I say, that was when you could cast way out and use a whole lot of river doing so....
    Oh those were the days. After many times guessing with each other on how many we caught, we hung counters around our necks for a few trips. Best day ever for me was 30 fair caught kings brought to the bank and released in 4 hours. And like you said, starting very early. On the river by 4 am. Gooey Bobs were one of our favorites, but just about any drift set up worked well.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Oh those were the days. After many times guessing with each other on how many we caught, we hung counters around our necks for a few trips. Best day ever for me was 30 fair caught kings brought to the bank and released in 4 hours. And like you said, starting very early. On the river by 4 am. Gooey Bobs were one of our favorites, but just about any drift set up worked well.
    Gooey Bobs! Talk about a blast from the past. Those things caught everything, especially kings, silvers, and trout. That was the go to lure for trout on the Kenai in the early 80's
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Gooey Bobs! Talk about a blast from the past. Those things caught everything, especially kings, silvers, and trout. That was the go to lure for trout on the Kenai in the early 80's
    I think I still have a couple in my tackle box that are almost as old as it is. If I remember correctly, they still feel "gooey" but not as bright looking as they used to be.....lol

4mer- It was a blast doing that on the Kenai. Bounce, bounce, bounce and then explosion! I don't remember the 70# fish but I do remember when one of my friends (we called him Moon but his name was Jimmy Sunn, a school teacher from Mississippi), caught an 84# king off the bank there. He was using Cabela's mono and he mailed them a photo and they put it in the catalog. Earlier in the day I hooked one and when it came out of the water we all agreed it was over 80#. I used to fish the Kasilof too before that got popular and before the park was there. There used to be a handful of people there on a weekend. We used to hook 30-40 fish on a weekend. I used a 7 wt fly rod there.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    4mer- It was a blast doing that on the Kenai. Bounce, bounce, bounce and then explosion! I don't remember the 70# fish but I do remember when one of my friends (we called him Moon but his name was Jimmy Sunn, a school teacher from Mississippi), caught an 84# king off the bank there. He was using Cabela's mono and he mailed them a photo and they put it in the catalog. Earlier in the day I hooked one and when it came out of the water we all agreed it was over 80#. I used to fish the Kasilof too before that got popular and before the park was there. There used to be a handful of people there on a weekend. We used to hook 30-40 fish on a weekend. I used a 7 wt fly rod there.
    Yep.....there used to be a lot of 80+ pounders caught back in those days....

It was an amazing river. I remember it from the late 80's and early 90's. I wish I could have fished it even earlier.
    Image if we could go back 100 years with the equipment we have now and fish it for a day how epic that would be.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    It was an amazing river. I remember it from the late 80's and early 90's. I wish I could have fished it even earlier.
    Image if we could go back 100 years with the equipment we have now and fish it for a day how epic that would be.

If you think about it, it still is an amazing river. Just not as amazing as it used to be. But unfortunately we can say that about a lot of stuff these days...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you think about it, it still is an amazing river. Just not as amazing as it used to be. But unfortunately we can say that about a lot of stuff these days...
    That is true, heck I remember the Peninsula being good moose hunting

Thanks to all who replied. I got a couple of ideas to try. I'm happy that I gave you an opportunity to reminisce.

Sounds like you're going again this year