Thread: Sheenjek River - any experts here?

Supporting Member

Default Sheenjek River - any experts here?

Hi folks,

we are a group of 4 (with a lot of experience with canoeing in Canada) Austrian guys and planning a 2 weeks trip at the Sheenjek this August. I do have some questions and - hopefully - there are some Sheenjek experts (willing to help) here?

• what are the best options to fly in? we will start/end our trip at Fairbanks, but after checking the schedule flight options it could be worth to fly to Fort Yukon or Arctic Circle first, before the charter flight; has anyone suggestions for optimising the route? how much do we have to expect for the flights?
    • hay anyone suggestions/contact details for a reliable flight service/pilot?
    • We learned, that usually the flights will be to the gravel bar near "double mountain". After reading the blogs here we expect 2-3 days of very shallow water and/or aufeis from that starting point. It could be an option to avoid these 20+ miles with starting the trip form somewhere near "Last Lake". Has anyone a information for us, if there is a landing option on (floatplane?) "Last Lake" or nearby?
    • as we are a little bit limited in time, we are thinking of ending the trip near Porkubine River. If we do so, this would be a very (very) short flight back to Fort Yukon or a daytrip by jetboat. Has anyone an idea, if there are boat-operators at Ft Yukon, who could pick us up? Suggestions?

It would be very helpfull to get some more information about Sheenjek in general and some answers. Thank you guys in advance for your help!

I have never been on the river, but all your flights will depend on weather, don't cut your self short an on the small plane
    side it can be bad news , just an idea to think about SID

Supporting Member

Thank you, Sid, appreciate that! We know the weather risk from Canada already; we are planning the trip with 4 "option" days, reserved for bad weather delays actually. we are not really "on the run", but searching for options to optimise the trip.

Austrian, if I find out you're actually french I'll hunt you down!

Hey buddy, you're asking for very specific information about a sensitive river corridor. I doubt many reputable adventurers would list all the answers on such a popular forum (except for certain Mike Strahan, he printed the info in his hunting book)

I think it's available on this site.

If you dont find the answers you seek, send me an email and i'll try to help.

Supporting Member

don't shoot, pls, Larry - we are all (peaceful) Austrians!

i'll message you!

Without knowing the loads you are traveling with (types of canoes/inflatables) it is hard to answer your questions. Be forewarned on this site, most of the so-called experts here are trying to sell you something.

why do you assume certain people are trying to sell anyone anything, Piper? This so called expert has never tried to sell you anything except tolerance of others. I know pessimism is a good trait for survival, but dang you're antagonistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    why do you assume certain people are trying to sell anyone anything, Piper? This so called expert has never tried to sell you anything except tolerance of others. I know pessimism is a good trait for survival, but dang you're antagonistic.
    You know better than to try to sell me anything. This site has evolved into a self-centered market place for the chosen few. Which is why it is failing to grow much in any areas. There are still some knowledgeable people that chime-in on occasion who aren't selling something, Not as many as in the past though for obvious reasons.

Supporting Member

[QUOTE=pipercub;1530418]Without knowing the loads you are traveling with (types of canoes/inflatables) it is hard to answer your questions. Be forewarned on this site, most of the so-called experts here are trying to sell you something.[/QUOTE

Thank you pipercub! You are completely right - i do appologise for the missing information whcih is essential for ans transport... We will use two Ally 16,5DR Canoes, our max load for similar trips in the past was about 1360 Pounds.

[QUOTE=the_austrian;1530572]
    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Without knowing the loads you are traveling with (types of canoes/inflatables) it is hard to answer your questions. Be forewarned on this site, most of the so-called experts here are trying to sell you something.[/QUOTE

Thank you pipercub! You are completely right - i do appologise for the missing information whcih is essential for ans transport... We will use two Ally 16,5DR Canoes, our max load for similar trips in the past was about 1360 Pounds.
    Good choice, I paddled the Noatak in an Ally-16.5. Your shortest charter would be Wright Air scheduled flight to Arctic Village (from Fairbanks, C208). You could then stay with Wrights and take a Helio charter to Last Lake or farther up the River (one day paddle) to the Talus Strip. Kirk Sweetsir also charters out of Arctic in a C185. You are running the risk of overlapping with hunting season in August, by going in late July you could avoid that. Sheep/Caribou hunters start showing up in great numbers towards the end of the first week in August. Either Wrights or Kirk could pick you up on the Porcupine or because the Sheenjek gets pretty slow and windy before the Porcupine, there are some pickup spots above that. You would have a short charter to Fort Yukon from there. Wrights or Warbelows scheduled flight from there to Fairbanks. Wrights has a bigger plane than Warbelows (C208 vs PA31) so you would be more likely to get all your stuff out with you if you stay on Wrights.

There is a small boat freight carrier in Fort Yukon, schedule and contact can be challenging but the boat is safe, he usually goes fyu to circle. Now if I can only recall his name. You could call the Crowleys Office in Fort Yukon, they might know.