Thread: Frame pack question/suggestions???

Default Frame pack question/suggestions???

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a Kuiu Ultra 6000 but before I do I wanted to hear some thoughts about the pack/system. At 3 lbs 9oz and a price tag of 350$ it seems like a good solid pack. Anyone have any experience with any of the Kuiu pack systems? I do allot of different hunt but the main reason is for sheep hunting.
    Thanks in advance for any helpfully pointers.

I dont have the 6000, but do have the 3000 day pack. My buddies use the 6k and I can tell you that from what I have seen and experienced with my own that they are great. Im gonna dump my current pack and put a 6k or 7200 on the frame I have. Light weight and comfortable. Cant beat it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

to small for me. i like a big pack.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    to small for me. i like a big pack.
    That's cause you like to carry everybody else's sh*t too......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've got an older Kuiu 6000 pack. I've used it to haul out sheep, bear, deer and goat. It's a solid pack but a little on the small size so I'm definitively looking into the 7200 model.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I dont have the 6000, but do have the 3000 day pack. My buddies use the 6k and I can tell you that from what I have seen and experienced with my own that they are great. Im gonna dump my current pack and put a 6k or 7200 on the frame I have. Light weight and comfortable. Cant beat it.
    Cool thanks for the info! Yea two of my buddies have the 7200 and they lover them. I figured I would get some other opinions. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. Pretty excited to get to packing with it!

I have an ultra 6k. I really like it with up to 50-55 lbs. once around 90-100. It is really bad. Does not stay on my hips very well. I have one of the first ultras that has a single pull belt and not the power pull like the icons have. Which I think the ultra might come with now? I think the icon pro suspension would make a big difference.

I love my 7200
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

I got the Icon Pro 7200 for Christmas so I have only used it on camping trips thus far. I think it is a really nice pack. It fits me well, it is comfortable, I like having the pockets for organization. I haven't yet put it through the ringer of packing critters out. I would recommend it...unless you can get a horse and a pack saddle which is superior IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    I have an ultra 6k. I really like it with up to 50-55 lbs. once around 90-100. It is really bad. Does not stay on my hips very well. I have one of the first ultras that has a single pull belt and not the power pull like the icons have. Which I think the ultra might come with now? I think the icon pro suspension would make a big difference.
    I ended up getting a chance to mess around with a guys 7200, he has the newer ultra frame set up on his icon pro 7200. I'm definitely sold and glad that I didn't go with the 6000, I would hate to have to worry about not having enough room after I smoke that 40+" ram this fall..... )

Well I changed my mind, or let me say good old Barneys sports chalet helped me find the light. I ended up just going for it and got the Frontier gear Yukon frame pack. Go big or go home right? I couldn't be happier, there a good group of very knowledgeable guys there!

Quote Originally Posted by USSDUCKSLAYER View Post
    Well I changed my mind, or let me say good old Barneys sports chalet helped me find the light. I ended up just going for it and got the Frontier gear Yukon frame pack. Go big or go home right? I couldn't be happier, there a good group of very knowledgeable guys there!
    Good Decision!!!!

I have the pinnacle and love it. Best pack I've ever owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney's is more expensive, but well worth it. Bomber pack and last for ever. It can hold up to more weight than you want to carry. I heard the Kuiu packs were having some issues, but not sure if it has been worked out.

Brett

i have five barney packs...all the same...you can't go wrong.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by USSDUCKSLAYER View Post
    I would hate to have to worry about not having enough room after I smoke that 40+" ram this fall..... )
    What are ya gonna "smoke" it with......hickory, mesquite, or maybe just some local alder...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good choice on the Barny's bag! Tough as nails, (only blood seems to eat at the fabric with hard use). I have one of the old ones with the Heavy Cordura bag and haven't had any problems. The Kuiu bags are great for ultralight hunting. The ultra doesn't feel too good with much weight in it though. I'd go for the Icon in whatever size you want for a second bag. The only complaint I have with my Barny's bag is that it is WIDE. Working through the alder patches can be a pain, but you just make it work. I like the slimmer and taller bags for really sketchy trails in the mountain where if you turn and bump a wide pack on a rock outcropping you risk a potentially deadly fall. Still, I mainly use my Barny's bag for everything and just am extra careful on those ledges in the mountains and avoid the alders as much as possible.

Again, good choice!
    "If you were to spit in a snake's eye, you would have to stoop to his level to do so."