Thread: Need a new fly reel for salmon

Default Need a new fly reel for salmon

I am in the market for a new reel for salmon fishing. I use a 10 wt rod with a fighting butt. The reel must have a strong drag. I currently use a System 2 reel.
    I am looking for a good quality reel for under $300 that has a good drag. I would also like it to be able to have the drag being pulled out without the handle spinning and hitting my knuckles.
    Any suggestions?

Try the Galavan "Rush" series large arbor reels (link below). I picked one up for my 7 wt (the R-6 model) and love the thing. Smoothest drag of any reel I've used -- converted me from a Ross man. I've caught numerous reds with it and it handles them with ease. I would go with the R-8 or R-10. Talk to people at McAfees Fly shop they'll fill you in on all the reasons to buy it.

http://www.galvanflyreels.com/rush.html

Default Reels

Randy, check out the Okuma's too, my wife has one on her 7 weight and I love that thing! It's the Airframe large arbor reel and it also handles reds with ease. I believe the BX carries them, thats where I bought my wifes.
    http://www.okumafishing.com/products/flyfishing.htm

Can both of these reels have the drag being pulled out with the handles spinning?

I know hers does not spin, the spool is seperate from the actual reel and the drag slows the reel or stops it depending on how tight you have it.

You are talking about a double action or anti-reverse fly reel. They aren't cheap. Most fly reels are single action. The spool and handle spins when the fish is taking line.

I use an older Pflueger 1499 double action that works great on Kings. They quit making them in the late 80s. If you can find one, I'd recommend it. Make sure it's in good shape and maybe have the drag worked on. These are probably considered a collector's item now.

I think Mt. View Sports might sell an anti-reverse in your price range. I believe the manufacturer is American Classic.

http://www.americanclassic.net/american/FlyReels.html

Or you could throw out the big bucks and buy a Billy Pate reel.

I bought my wife an American Classics. It's a good reel, and the price is reasonable. It isn't as big or heavy as some other anti-reverse reels, either.

My favorite is a Van Staal C-Vex direct drive. It has the best drag control of any reel I've ever used by far. And it has more stopping power than my rods are comfortable with. The drag's sealed, too, so if you get it wet in a silty stream, the drag isn't affected. It's the best fly reel I've ever used, bar none.

I have the Ross CLA 5.0 for my 10wt. You cannot beat a Ross Reel, and lifetime warranty. It is Large Arbor (LA in CLA) and has the unbeatable drag system that Ross is famous for. Excellent value along with the Ross quality and performance.

Default Lamson DXR reel

Some very good suggestions concerning your request. Okuma make a good reel for the price nice suggestion AkHunter45 :-) Try E-Bay believe it our not and look for the Orvis DXR Direct Drive Fly Reel made by Lamson from years ago. They are a Grand reel, but have not been manufactured for some time. If you find the Orvis version they will repair it for next to nothing if it requires work. Belive it our not you may also find Martin still makes a DXR Fly Reel the number slips my mind, but they are out there heavy as heck but still usable.

Tight Lines and Best wishes.

Another Vote for Galvan! I have two, one "Standard" (6-7yrs) on a 7wt and an "Open Back" (3-4yrs) on a 5wt and they are excellent. In fact I'm in the process of replacing my other fly reels with Galvan's too.

Thanks for the feedback. Any reel stating is an anti reverse will not spin the handle when line is being stripped?
    Are the Ross's all anti reverse?

Yes, if it is anti-reverse, the handle won't spin as line is being stripped. No, I don't believe Ross makes an anti-reverse reel.

I checked out the Okuma's today but none I found were capable of not spinning the handle while the drag was going out, Am I confused?

There are only a few manufacturers that currently make an anti-reverse reel. The ones that I know of that do are:

American Classic
    Billy Pate (Tibor)
    Peux
    Abel
    Marryat

There may be others that I am unaware of.

Other manufacturers used to make them but no longer do. You can find some of their reels on the used market such as eBay.

Sketch,
    Thank you. I may just buy a Ross and contend with a spinning handle but a great smooth drag.

Wolf,

Go to either Mt. View Sports or McAfee's or World Wide Anglers fly shops, ask to test out the drag systems on their top 3 picks for reels. Decide what you like then search the net. Chances are you'll find the shops are close in price to the net -- for new reels. The time taken is a good investment as the reel will likely be with you for the rest of your fishing years.

P.S.- Sorry, I assumed your located in Anchorage.

Cabelas is offering the ross CLA #5 for only $155 more if you purchase it when you also purchase one of there fly rods. I ordered the CLA #5.

Default You probably never heard of this one...

I was first introduced to the Alvey Reel Company when I was surf fishing the Indian Ocean on the northwest coast of Australia. Their original product was the Alvey Sidecast Reel which is pretty well indestructible. You can literally bury the reel in sand and then wash it off in the surf and it will work just fine. When I heard that the Alvey folks were producing a fly reel; I wanted one. They are not available in the USA but, I had mine brought from Australia by a friend who was visiting.

It was the Alvey 425B-R http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/st...ct.asp?ID=1171

I have used this reel for Southern California and Baja California fishing on a 12wt rod and it has brought in yellowtail, yellowfin tuna, Albacore, shark and even a small marlin of about 100 pounds.

I liked the reel so much that I purchased a second as a spare but, despite heavy fishing for 3 years; I have never needed the spare.

The reel is fairly heavy at close to 13 ounces without line loaded but, heck - a 12wt outfit is no lightweight no matter which reel you have mounted.

Here is what Campbell's of Australia says about this reel:

The Alvey Saltwater fly reel maybe just the best value fly reel in the world. Made in Australia with Aussie big fish in mind this reel is a no frills tough workhorse.
    It features: Lightweight graphite construction with front and rear vents. Smooth multi-plate clutch. On / off anti-reverse. Separate handle plate from spool eliminating bruised knuckles. Ratchet. Strong metal foot and stainless steel line guide. 5 year warranty.
    Spool diameter: 4"
    Line capacity: 10wt plus 500m 15kg braid.
    Weight: 363 grams

When I purchased mine, it was less than $100 U.S. Dollars. However, since the U.S. Dollar has gone down the toilet, the price is now $158 USD plus shipping.

I finally broke down and bought an Abel anti-reverse reel a few years back. They are pricey, but the drag is SOLID and the reel itself is smooth in all situations. Can't say enough about it. It has become my "go to" reel for salmon, and as soon as I mortgage a body part I'll be getting one to replace my Ross for trout.

Here is there Price List, take a deeeeeep breath before ya click it....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Old...

This thread almost two years old. Be sure to pm the op. Dang. I thought I was bad about reading over the old stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.