Thread: How to spend more money on a boat than you thought.

Default How to spend more money on a boat than you thought.

OK so I got the Sea Sport back and there was a spot on the floor that was soft. So I cut the fiberglass out and found rotten wood. SO.... cut the wood out and found water. Sucked it out and put a heat gun on the foam below to dry it out. Sooooo, the foam started to sweat. Apparently it is soaked. Now.... shoot self or: cut bigger area out of the floor, enough to remove old foam, inspect, refoam, and put in a new floor??? Suggestions or drink.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Drink sounds good. Sorry Dave. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What year SeaSport Dave? This isn't Peca's old boat is it?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Don't refoam. You are toast anyways if you find yourself relying on the foam in your Seasport for flotation.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    What year SeaSport Dave? This isn't Peca's old boat is it?
    Nooooo. Knew better

Actually cut the floor out about 2" square and only some of the foam is wet. Cut that out, heat gun and now a fan in there. After it is dry, drill holes 2" apart and soak Gitrot into it. Redo brace and floor with pressure treated. Then I am putting a complete new fiberglass floor in. Not much area so just need time to complete it.

Daveinthebush,
    As a Seasport owner I'm curious where on the deck the floor got soft? Was there a previous deck penetration (screws) that caused the water infiltration? You don't run across water and rot on Seasports often. How old of a boat?

There was a small deterioration of the interior fiberglass floor that I had a rubber mat over. Must have been leaking for quite some time. Way too much water in the hold under the cabin. But it is drying. Buying a used boat is always buying other peoples problems. I have have inherited someone else's hole in the water.

what year and model is this sea sport

Dave i'd bet more of the foam is soaked and IMO you will never get it all dried out. Cut the deck out, dig out all the foam clean up the space and glass in bulkheads to turn it into a nice cobination rope locker(for anchor & shrimp lines) and or a insulated fish hold. The yellow foam used to insulate roofs makes great bulkheads for fishholds( glass sticks to it well) and then replace the deck with nida core/ plasti core material. Don't stick any wood back into the boat. Then have a drink

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You have entered the TwiLightZone.....If you have the wherewithal, excavate all the sponge, and then decide between a couple of options; none are pleasant or easy save passing the problem on to the moral conundrum of caveat emptor. An older boat with type I foam can be formidable to correct. It's kinda like screwed down tread plate over plywood on SO many aluminum skiffs. Not only plywood but TREATED plywood with copper in it! Whoever thought that that could be a good idea will never respond to this comment.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Buying a used boat is always buying other peoples problems. I have have inherited someone else's hole in the water.
    Isn't that the truth.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by TM2SNOW View Post
    what year and model is this sea sport
    It is a 1989

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Dave i'd bet more of the foam is soaked and IMO you will never get it all dried out. Cut the deck out, dig out all the foam clean up the space and glass in bulkheads to turn it into a nice cobination rope locker(for anchor & shrimp lines) and or a insulated fish hold. The yellow foam used to insulate roofs makes great bulkheads for fishholds( glass sticks to it well) and then replace the deck with nida core/ plasti core material. Don't stick any wood back into the boat. Then have a drink
    Can't really use the space for lockers. The floor helps with the strength of the boat in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Way too much water in the hold under the cabin.
    Been surprised twice at the amount of water that snuck in under the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Been surprised twice at the amount of water that snuck in under the cabin.

Probably partly my fault too. Since there is a drain plug to drain the floor, I have been washing it and hosing it down a couple times a year. If there was damage in the fiberglass then my "bath tub" would have a leak and probably I did it no good. Puzzling is that there are two drain plugs to drain this hold and nothing comes out. Going to inspect them today for blockage. The good side of all this is I now own a heat gun and a new saw. Must look at the bright side if there is one.

I had an issue of water sneaking in on our Seasport--which is now with another owner. It was a phenomenal boat. Anyway, even as an 06' model, I had to reseal the deck. While it is self bailing, there are areas between the fiberglass decking and where it meets the cabin that needs to be sealed periodically--guessing every few years. We had it in the harbor for periods of time and initially concerned there was a leak by the amount of water finding its way down into the bilge. I pulled the cracked/partially missing sealant and ran new beads, no more water in the bilge. It was a wet spring that year, and with all the repeated days of rain, water was working its way down through the deck--which likely meant it was dribbling down and running along cross bracings and who knows where all it would work into.

No idea if that is a possible source--but worth a quick look as super quick and easy fix.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.