Thread: Yakutat area pilot needed in November

Default Yakutat area pilot needed in November

I am looking to do a float hunt and end at a forest service cabin on the ocean about 30 miles south of Yakutat. I have found a drop off for the lake I will start at, but need a pilot to pick up my group of 4 at the end of the hunt. We can schedule the pick up anytime from november 19-22nd. Most of the local air taxis have told me that they are closed for business after mid october. The ones that I have found that are willing to do it are from far away and make the price very costly. Didn't know if there were any pilots in the area that operate in November. the seas will probably be too rough for a water landing, but the beach should be a great spot, so wheels are needed in my opinion.
    Last edited by rossmy14; 03-08-2016 at 13:31. Reason: forgot to mention the area

There is a reason the air taxis are closed for the season. You may be stuck at the beach for a couple of weeks.

Yeah that's not a good time to be out there, historically speaking of course. Good luck.

What is the reason? I understand the ocean might be a bit rough, but there is still plenty of beach for tires to land on. How else are the areas off road accessed in the November hunting season?

It might make an air taxi operator more comfortable to know that they don't have to make a beach landing.
    I assume your talking about the Italio river cabin.
    I got this information by Googling Italio river cabin.
    "Wheeled aircraft only. 1600ft x 100ft Forest Service-maintained airstrip 300 feet (90 m) from cabin."
    You might want to double check with the FS to see if that information is current. Also, be sure to take a sat phone with a spare battery.

Lots of commercial fishing boats around--maybe an option? Try the Yakutat boat harbormaster--he may be able to put you in contact with someone.

Thanks, the harbormaster idea is a good one. Sent him an email earlier after reading that post. I was told no by an air taxi because I wanted to hung brown bear and he won't transport brown bear hunters around yakutat. Thought that was an odd way to do business. I just guess someone else gets my money.

Default Yakutat area pilot needed in November

Quote Originally Posted by rossmy14 View Post
    What is the reason? I understand the ocean might be a bit rough, but there is still plenty of beach for tires to land on. How else are the areas off road accessed in the November hunting season?
    Again, historically speaking, the rain and wind can be RELENTLESS that time of year. It is not uncommon to see flooding. We're talking potential for 3-4 inches a day at times. 80kt gusts are not uncommon out there. They'd call it a hurricane anywhere else, on the Gulf Coast of AK it's just another day. Poor flying visibility is a real concern. These are the reasons the air taxis are giving you the answers you received. They live there, and know the conditions. They want to do their jobs safely and make it home to their families. Getting a floatplane drop off within your timeframe could be a feat in itself. Then again, of course it can be beautiful. To state the obvious: Just because a season is open doesn't mean folks are out there hunting.

You'll most likely not find a charter boat operator willing to land you on the beach in the surf. That water is ****ed cold. You might find someone to work Yakutat Bay that time of year. I'd wager that's the best you'll get out of a boat ride. You would need some extremely good luck on your side to plan around the tides to extract you from the mouth of a river along with good weather.

I hate to be a wet blanket, and truly hope it somehow works out for you. It is awesome out there on a nice day. Is there any chance of doing a Spring bear hunt instead? Better conditions and way better hides.

rossmy14,

the transporter who won't transport brown bear hunters probably has an "agreement" with a local lodge or guide to keep other brown bear hunters out of the area.

Possibly. But more likely is that the operator doesn't want to worry himself into an ulcer while he's got a load of hunters stuck on the beach in a gale for 3 extra days.

Pilots are a funny bunch: I've quit trying to figure them out.

If you are going to the Italio then a floatplane or wheels could pick you up depending on the tide. If you are at the Alsek then it will be wheels only. Try fly drake or mountain flying service from Haines if you can't find anything local in Yakutat.