Thread: .358 plinking loads

Default .358 plinking loads

Hello all,
    I have a bunch of cast .357 158 grain bullets and some Unique. I would like to load up some plinking rounds for my Savage .358 but have yet to find a reliable source of load informationfor that combination. Also do you use filler? How about needing a crimp? I wouldappreciate any comments from the folks who may have gone this route already. Ihave seen a bunch of Red Dot loads, but I have not seen Red Dot for sale in years.

I've never felt the need for filler or crimps with Unique and cast bullets in the 358. Even pointing downhill, they always seem to go off reliably without the filler. And with so little recoil, there's no need for a crimp. You might like to have a Lyman neck expander die to slightly bell the case mouth for starting cast bullets without shaving.

Been a long time since I used 158 grain bullets though, so I can't recommend a charge. I quit using them when I discovered how well the #565 RCBS 200 grain FN bullet worked in the 358. And the 35 Rem. And the 357 Herret. And even in 357 mag cases in the Contender. My go-to cast bullet now for anything that will swallow a 358 lead pill.

I have a very old Lyman cast bullet hand book that shows a starting load for unique and a 150gr plain base cast at 11.5 gr and a max load at 15 gr and 1795 fps. I don't think this is a pressure max but an accuracy and leading max I think you could start at about 12grs and go up until accuracy goes away or leading gets bad and be safe. Filler might help with leading and accuracy but you would have to test. I don't crimp much of anything unless there is a problem with bullets pulling from recoil. A Lyman M die would be nice. BB is spot on with the RCBS 358 200. It is very accurate with anything that has enough twist to stabilize it.

Thanks for the tips!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a bunch of cast .357 158 grain bullets and some Unique. I would like to load up some plinking rounds for my Savage .358 but have yet to find a reliable source of load informationfor that combination. Also do you use filler? How about needing a crimp? I wouldappreciate any comments from the folks who may have gone this route already. Ihave seen a bunch of Red Dot loads, but I have not seen Red Dot for sale in years.
    Assuming you mean 358 Winchester,,, Probably, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 grains of Unique.

I would feel comfortable in starting there, and you don't need any filler. Not with that powder, or that size case. I wouldn't crimp either.

If you ever need a filler in a cast bullet load, dacron is the way to go.

(I just did some research on the Internet and came up with 11 grains.)

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.