Thread: Alaska Flightseeing?

Default Alaska Flightseeing?

I know this isn't bush flying but didn't know where else to post this. I'm coming up to Fairbanks to go Moose hunting this September. I want to bring my wife and two sons up with me the week before I fly into the bush for a family vacation. Right now I think I want to fly into Anchorage to do some tourist things around there. Does anybody recommend a good company for flightseeing or which area we should see? I did some internet searching and there is so much to see but I think we will only be able to do one air tour.

Any other ideas for things to do with the family? My boys are 3 and 11 and I would like to show them some wildlife. Thanks.

We usually send visitors to the Caribou farm and the Musk-Ox farm, they are in the Palmer area. Then over to the Iditarod Museum in wasilla. Flight seeing around Mt. McK. Is a great thing but might not work for the little one. In Talkeetna you could also take a riverboat ride, the kids might like that better. Good luck hunting and have a good trip.

Try Rust's flying Service. They fly Cessna 206s, DeHavilland beavers and a DeHavilland turbine otter on floats out of Lake Hood. There are several options. My favorite air tour as a pilot for Rusts for the last seven years of my 33 year Alaska flying career (retired now) was the Prince William Sound tour which might take you up the Colony glacier and down the Surprise glacier into Prince William Sound, or up Turnagain Arm and through Portage Pass, or any of several other really scenic routes into the sound. Then after landing take a walk on a remote beach. There are several different trips available.

Taking an air tour to Mt McKinley from Anchorage is 75% long boring ride. Drive to Talkeetna for a McKinley air tour. Take a look at http://www.flyalaska.com/scenic.html for a brief description and links to a few Anchorage and Talkeetna based air tours.

I second Monguse, I should have said you need to drive to Talkeetna , for flight seeing you can't go wrong with Rust. Other than that all the things I mentioned are good things for bad weather days.

thanks for the replies!

My favorite flightseeing trip to take people on includes going up and over the Chugach Mountains and in to Prince William Sound. There are a couple services in Anchorage that can do such a flight for you. In my opinion it's a better tour than Denali.

As for seeing wildlife, there are few predictable places to do so. You might take a day to drive south of Anchorage along the Seward Highway. There are often Dall Sheep along the cliffs right above the highway, and sometimes they come right down to the road. That time of year there is also a decent chance of seeing beluga whales right next to the road as they feed on silver salmon. At the end of Turnagain Arm (40 miles south of Anchorage) is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. While the animals are contained, they have a pretty great collection of Alaskan animals to include bison, bears, etc. Two great places to see moose are Kincaid Park and Powerline Pass in Anchorage. Spend some time walking in these areas and you'd have a decent chance of coming across one to show your boys.

Watching the bore tide and the crazy surfers is fun too.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"