Thread: Chitina...

Default Chitina...

Hello,

I need some of those beautiful Copper River Fish, so we are planning on going to Chitina this week.

I talked with a friend this last week who metioned dipnetting near the bridge? Did I hear that correctly? We've used Hem's before, and limited out, but it wasn't a trip I'd take my kids on. The perching on rock ledges above the water was not something I'd expose my kids to. But, dipnetting from the beach is a different deal. I've seen the fishwheels by the brdige and I've got a neighbor who talks (vaguely) about dipping between town and the bridge. Is that right?

Any suggestions? I would appreciate your help.

Steve

If you are driving towards the bridge , just past where the road goes down to one lane, there is place where guy's park and dip. Past that there is a road down that goes to the sand bar - I see guy's down there dippin. Then on the other side of the bridge at the campround, I think you can dip there too. I usually just pay the 90$. I will be at the campground with my wife & kid tonight.

Default Sweeping

A friend of mine dose some fishing down there along those sand bars. Some consider it more work, less productive and dangerous. He would wade out into the river, sweep with the current while bouncing the net off the bottom. Then after catching a fish wade back to the shore and take care of the fish. He caught about 15 fish over the weekend. Another friend and I fished during the same weekend. We used Hem went to the canyon, sat on a rock and fished the surface in a backeddie and limited out. I have also seen folks do quite well sweeping in the current around O'Brien creek. However, also seems to be unpredictable.

Upstream from the bridge it's subsistence fishing only, and downstream from the bridge is personal use. As you drive to the bridge, there is a dirt road coming down the right side of the road, and leading to the sand bars below.

Dipping there requires that you wade chest deep in the water, and then sweep the current with the net, holding on to a very long handle. Regardless of what place you dip in the Copper, it's very dangerous. This holds true specially for kids. Something else, lots of folks drive out to the gravel and sand bars by the bridge, and this is fine as long as you are careful when you go to sleep at night (or day). The whole area may flood without warning.

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate the info and suggestions. I ended up going with the "Sam/Mark" charter - it was $90.

The dipping started fast and finished sloooow. I ended up with 18 absolutely beautiful fish. I just can't get over how red/orange the flesh is on Copper River Reds. With a really fresh fish, if you smell the freshly filleted meat, it smells like melon. It's clean, not fishy, and smells lightly of melon.

No disrespect intended for our Kenai friends, but I simply don't believe you can beat Copper River fish.

Take care,

Steve

Congratulations on your catch! Yes, Copper reds are delicious, and so are the kings. Both are very popular in Seattle, and demand high price at the market.

Did you happen to look at the gravel/sand bars just below the bridge? The water was so high this week that folks were dipping standing on the rocks right under the bridge