Thread: Taurus Revolvers

Default Taurus Revolvers

Have been looking for a 357 mag revolver. Not quite ready to spend the 6-700+ that a Ruger or S&W will cost. Curious of any experiences with Taurus. They run a bit less.
    Thanks
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fantastic guns, lifetime guarantee, reasonably priced, what's not to love?

I have had a Taurus 44 mag revolver for about 15 years and I love it. I have a couple Rugers and a S&W that I picked up used, but having owned all three if I were buying new and looking for a field revolver I would buy the Taurus. I am not saying that the Taurus is better than my Rugers or S&W, but it is definitely just as good. Therefore, based on the differences in price I would buy the Taurus.

How about Taurus triggers? We have a 686 in 357 and it has a really nice trigger, at least when you use it as a single action. Was trying a Ruger GP100 at a local store last week and it was just about as good as the S&W.

I like the trigger pull on my Taurus, when used as a single action. When you cock it the trigger feels to me like it sets a little closer to the back of the trigger guard than my other revolvers too, which I like the feel of. There is no creep, etc.

I've never owned a Taurus so can't comment on one personally. But the last time I was looking to buy a pistol, the owner of a local gun shop told me the Taurus was the gun that he had to send back to the factory the most. Take that for what it's worth, but I'd heard other similar stories before that as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Have been looking for a 357 mag revolver. Not quite ready to spend the 6-700+ that a Ruger or S&W will cost. Curious of any experiences with Taurus. They run a bit less.
    Thanks
    There's a Ruger GP100 on alaskaslist.com in Fairbanks listed for $500. I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Taurus has a reputation....not necessarily the best, but everyone that I know that has owned one, hasn't had any issues with them. I've owned a few in my lifetime (3 semi-autos and one revolver) and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one. I'm actually wanting to pick up a short nosed 357 this summer.

In my business, I generally only see the ones that don't work. Back in the early 90's, we carried them for a short time in the shop I worked at. S&W, Ruger, etc. generally had a return rate less than 1%. Taurus, while we carried them, had a return rate closer to 10%. All manner of malfunctions. Semi auto or revolver, it didn't matter. The warranty service was very good, however we did not appreciate having to use it so often, so we quit carrying the line of product. TIMI, 12176 NW 49th ave. Miami, FL. 33014. I'm doing that from memory, believe it or not, your choice. I'm sure they have made 10's of thousands of guns that work just fine, but I'll keep buying old Smiths, thank you very much. The difference between buying a 500 dollar gun and a 700 dollar gun doesn't mean that much to me. I'll just save my pennies a little longer.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    There's a Ruger GP100 on alaskaslist.com in Fairbanks listed for $500. I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out.
    Not seeing it, Snyd. Can you provide a link?
    Found it. It,s sold. Thanks Snyd

Only owned 1 Taurus so far, and that was a Raging Bull revolver in .454 Casull. I put hundreds of rounds down range, and it had excellent grips which helped tame recoil. Only problem I recall was some of the frame screws came loose under recoil. Blue LockTite solved that problem. I only sold the Raging Bull to upgrade to the 6 shot .454 Ruger Super RedHawk.

I have always equated Taurus revolvers with being a "poor man's Smith" (nothing wrong with that). If cost was not a consideration, I would stick with Ruger, Smith, and Colts for revolvers.

I have the Taurus 44mag ultralite. Didn't want to cough up the dough for the S&W 329PD. I like the Taurus for the money. The double action is not as smooth as I would like but I can live with it.

I own several and I am quite pleased with all of them. Single action trigger is quite nice, double action not so much....

Here's a good read- not a condemnation, but educational:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/...rus-revolvers/
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wonder if Grant ever pulled the trigger?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Taurus has a reputation....not necessarily the best, but everyone that I know that has owned one, hasn't had any issues with them. I've owned a few in my lifetime (3 semi-autos and one revolver) and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one. I'm actually wanting to pick up a short nosed 357 this summer.
    I loaded 500 hot 357(within spec) loads for a friend and he shot them up in a weekend with a 2" Rossi model 461. Says made by Taurus on the side of it. After 500 rounds the lock up was still tight as a new one and the DA timing was still perfect. I would carry that gun with confidence. It has a very nice deep blue finish. Yet after saying all of that I would pick a Smith and Wesson snubby over it every time and for the reasons gunbugs laid out. If you get a good Rossi/Taurus then you will be well served. However you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting a lemon. I once bought one of those lemons that went back to the factory and then was resold with reconditioned stamped on the box. It came back still not right. If you pulled the hammer back easy until fully cocked then most of the time the cylinder latch was still not snaped into the catch on the cylinder. Thus the round in the cylinder was not perfectly lined up with the bore. The forcing cone was funneled enough so that it didn't splatter lead but it wasn't right and back it went with a note explaining in detail what it was doing. It was right when I got it back but my confidence in it was gone and so was it. It was a light weight 38 special and was not rated for +p rounds.

The Rossi 461 was So Mutch more robust and better made gun than the 38 that it makes me question whether it was made in the same plant or elsewhere and just had "made by Taurus" stamped on it because they own the right to do so. Did Taurus start making Rossi's in there plant or did they buy the Rossi plant so that they can put their name on it? I could look that up I reckon!

I've had a couple.. no issues. I'd rather have a Ruger or Smith, but a good deal on a Taurus is pretty easy to find- especially used. They take an absolute beating on resell.

If you're looking for something to ride around in the glove box or get drug through alders...hard not to like cheap and functional.

I bought a 4" .44 Mag for something like $225.... nothing wrong with that.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit